Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
That's right. I want my iPhone 4S back!!! I absolutely hate, hate my iPhone 5. It's a piece of crap!!! The screen just started creaking. That's the straw that broke the camel's back!!!

Original launch day iPhone 5: excessive camera rattling, Apple Genius said it seemed like something was obviously loose.

November iPhone 5: scratched bezel by power button

3rd iphone 5: defective home button

4th iPhone 5: dust in camera

5th iPhone: another home button issue. The home button rotated a few degrees.

6th iPhone: more dust in camera. Affecting photos now.

Current iPhone: screen is creaking!!!

So yeah I've had it. I hate this phone. The 4S had the perfect screen, perfect design, perfect feel. Oh and it actually got me the best reception. Apple went down hill drastically with the iPhone 5. It's way too thin and way too light.

I actually want my iphone to have some weight and feel to it!!!

Fortunately I am a unique situation with Apple Customer Relations Administration. They are currently in the process of downgrading me to a 4s as long as I send my iPhone 5 back.

Praying Apple redesigns the iPhone this summer with a NON-AWKWARD display. Hope they actually make a quality product again. I had my issues with the 4s, but nothing like the iphone 5!

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
You returned a phone because of a scratch on the bezel, which most likely would be there after a few uses?

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
You returned a phone because of a scratch on the bezel, which most likely would be there after a few uses?

It was there right out of the box. If it would have happened with normal use that's one thing, not when it's taken out of the box.

Don't make excuses for their horrible QC!

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
You sound like a troll, or like you are OCD about your phones. Seriously, you've gone through that many phones?

----------

Nope. An iPhone 4S will do.

----------

How could they not be when coughing up $849 for a device???

It doesn't matter what your pay for a device, it's still a phone. It will get issues eventually. Heck people pay $20,000+ for cars and they get scratches, dents...

Your phone that had "excessive" camera rattling, it worked fine I bet, right? Probably worked flawlessly and took flawless photos. But it made a noise if you shook it around. lolol

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

You cough up $199 or $299 when buying it. The carrier buys the rest. I am perfectionist, yet, I don't let the most minute detail from allowing me to enjoy my device.

A small minuscule scratch was present in my 4S. Guess what? I let it be there and this device has been great for almost 2 years now.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
My thoughts exactly. Some people are waaaay too perfectionists.

It's not called being a perfectionist, it's called being an idiot. It's something that will be dropped, scratched, and abused 1000 times. It's a PHONE. Not a car, not a piece of jewelery, and not your child. If you're that paranoid about such a small thing, you need to reexamine your priorities in life.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Yeah, and the carrier just foots the bill and you pay nothing, right?

Wrong... you pay more than outright cost in additional plan charges over the duration of the contract.

Cost which you equally pay if you don't get a subsidized device. Tell em something, does the cost of your plan decrease because you brought your device with you? No. You are just paying huge profit margins.

S

syd430

I stopped reading here.

In all seriousness though, i've had to swap my iphone 5 four times now for actual hardware issues and I still have no qualms about iPhone 5 itself as a device. It's brilliant. Yes QC could be tightened up a bit but as a device it's still worlds ahead of the 4S and worlds ahead of anything else out for there (for me, anyway)

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
That's right. I want my iPhone 4S back!!! I absolutely hate, hate my iPhone 5. It's a piece of crap!!! The screen just started creaking. That's the straw that broke the camel's back!!!

Original launch day iPhone 5: excessive camera rattling, Apple Genius said it seemed like something was obviously loose.

3rd iphone 5: defective home button

4th iPhone 5: dust in camera

5th iPhone: another home button issue. The home button rotated a few degrees.

6th iPhone: more dust in camera. Affecting photos now.

So yeah I've had it. I hate this phone. The 4S had the perfect screen, perfect design, perfect feel. Oh and it actually got me the best reception. Apple went down hill drastically with the iPhone 5. It's way too thin and way too light.

I actually want my iphone to have some weight and feel to it!!!

Fortunately I am a unique situation with Apple Customer Relations Administration. They are currently in the process of downgrading me to a 4s as long as I send my iPhone 5 back.

Praying Apple redesigns the iPhone this summer with a NON-AWKWARD display. Hope they actually make a quality product again. I had my issues with the 4s, but nothing like the iphone 5!

Just because you got unlucky and landed with a couple of bad iPhone 5 does not mean all iPhone 5s are "pieces of crap".

Millions of people are using theirs without grumbling over the slightest blemish.

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
it's not called being a perfectionist, it's called being an idiot. It's something that will be dropped, scratched, and abused 1000 times. It's a phone. Not a car, not a piece of jewelery, and not your child. If you're that paranoid about such a small thing, you need to reexamine your priorities in life.
qft!

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012

$199 upgrade? I'd never pay $849 for a phone...

Yeah, and the carrier just foots the bill and you pay nothing, right?

Wrong... you pay more than outright cost in additional plan charges over the duration of the contract.

So, if I buy my next phone off contract for $849, I will save money in the long run? It would be more, because you got $849 + your monthly payment for your bill.

Everyone is so worked up about being locked in a contract, lol.

S

syd430

I've had this too (top right corner for me). I just kept the phone and replaced it after a couple of months at a time that suited me. In and out of the Apple store in 20 minutes. Honestly, that creak is not affecting the function of the phone, it's just a minor annoyance. Should you swap it out because of it? Yes, definitely. But I think you're being a bit over dramatic here. Just put it on your to-do list to swap it out some time in the future.

For the record here is the complete list of things i've had to swap my iPhone 5 for:

1st: Strong yellow tint at top 1/4 of the screen (didn't go away after a month)
2nd: Home button unresponsive at times
3rd: Screen blotchy all over (didn't go away after a month)
4th: Power button unresponsive at times and screen was precluding out and clicking in the top right corner.

All of these issues were real issues that meant that the phone needed to be replaced each time (for resale value, if for nothing else), but the phone remained fully functional while it had these issues. All I did was add it to my to-do list to swap it out in a date specific date in the future. In the meantime I used the phone as normal, forgetting about the issues knowing that it's already on my to-do list.

Last edited by a moderator:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Even though some of you would consider a scratch on the bezel to be insignificant, which is fine because I agree, the fact that the OP had to go through many other replacement phones for legitimate problems indicate a problem with the iPhone 5 and/or its manufacturing process.

I do not remember hearing many stories with people having to go through 5+ replacements on an iPhone 4S. Yes, this is just one story, but I've heard it many times.

There is something wrong with Apple's QC, and even if there isn't anything wrong, it certainly doesn't seem to be as good as it once was.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I have to agree with you. I'm on my 5th iPhone right now:

1- Scratches in the sides and back out of the box
2- Bent
3- Power button failed after 10 days
4- Scratches in the sides and power button
5- Scratch on the screen and chamfered edge.

I took the 5th still because it doesn't bother that much, but it gives me a bad taste on my mouth...

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
My thoughts exactly. Some people are waaaay too perfectionists.

some people aren't blinded by their love towards Apple and actually want a first grade product and quality for which they paid their money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Nope. An iPhone 4S will do.

----------

$849 for a mass produced consumer grade device.

I actually wish people like you would just return them for a refund the first time. Might make them cheaper for the rest of us in the long run.

Jets1230

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
I got a 4 and my wife I got her a 5 and by using it,Quality has gone down on them! Before its all said and done, they will be made out of plastic like android !

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
I got lucky in that my first phone was in perfect condition. However, while scratches on a 200$ or more device may not bother some people, do you really think you should have to put up with that on something brand new that you paid alot of money for? If I order a brand new pair of shoes online and they come with scratches or marks on them, I'm sending them back. Same with anything that's supposed to be brand new. What's the difference between shoes you are going to wear and a phone you're going to use? Absolutely nothing. When I buy something brand new, it should come looking BRAND NEW.
Apple may have production problems with these phones, who knows, but I shouldn't have to just accept that if I don't want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.