Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
I am a college student and tried taking notes with my iPad and found it more frustrating than its worth. You just can't beat pencil and paper when it comes to jotting down notes as fast as you can.

i used an iPad for uni for a week...and hated it (family iPad)
i went back to using my macbook pro and paper

it depends on the subject. anything with numbers its easier to just use good ol fashion pen and paper

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I've learned how to use my iPad for hand written notes for class quickly, and I get pretty good results and can keep up pretty well for speed. It's definitely not as fast as pen and paper, but the slight loss in speed for me is worth not having to carry multiple notebooks around and having to worry about paper ripping out (something that has always plagued me).

I use a combination of a Jot Pro (with extra aluminum foil in between the ball/tip for extra conductivity) and Notability/Notes Plus. Those two apps are really good for everything I've needed for note taking. My math classes don't seem to be a problem for me, and being in Econ pretty much all my classes are math based lol.

As for the multitouch gestures getting in the way, with my iPad 3 I had to turn them off since my hand was causing the apps to switch all the time, but with the mini it seems to treat accidental touches better, and I have not had the need to change the setting yet.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Highly advise against relying on an iPad for note taking. The keyboard just isn't up to snuff in keeping up. You'll get tons of typos and missed presses when taking notes fast and the auto correct, as many know, is quite unreliable.

I've used my ipad in class and its an exercise in extreme frustration. You're better off with a pen and pad if its specifically for note taking. It's great for graphs and books and reading though. Don't have to carry around all those physical books. But note taking? You've been warned. :(

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Highly advise against relying on an iPad for note taking. The keyboard just isn't up to snuff in keeping up. You'll get tons of typos and missed presses when taking notes fast and the auto correct, as many know, is quite unreliable.

I've used my ipad in class and its an exercise in extreme frustration. You're better off with a pen and pad if its specifically for note taking. It's great for graphs and books and reading though. Don't have to carry around all those physical books. But note taking? You've been warned. :(

Holy crap!!! We've been warned!!!!! :rolleyes:

You might try reading the thread and not just the subject line next time.

Last edited by a moderator:

pjashley1

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2007
I've used an iPad 3 all term (semester) for my med school note taking. I then switched to iPad mini when they were released.

Most of our lectures are provided in PowerPoint format, so I convert them to PDF using Adobe ConvertPDF on the iPad, then import them into Notability. I then annotate over the slides and record the lecture.

Our written questions are also provided online in .doc format, so again I convert those and import them to annotate over.

This is so much better than my previous method of writing over printed notes and scanning them when I get home. It's also really cool to have my entire collection of notes with me wherever I am - even if my iPad is at home!

Notability is amazing because my recording and annotated notes get synced back to my Mac at home over WebDAV so if my iPad ever got stolen all my notes are safe.

Ali Corban

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
I bought the IPad mini 16GB put on the Ghost Armor screen protector and love it compact, light, and works great for college...I use NotePlus awesome app love how you can go back and forth through notes also the split screen between note taking and the browser...I also use the Targus stylus for note taking. But the iPad mini is awesome highly recommend especially if your professors use PowerPoint and PDFs

ipaclansite

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2011
I have an iPad Mini, and also attend an engineering school. Its definitely awesome for books, pdfs, powerpoints, etc. Here's my experience on what is best in terms of note-taking.

Heavy duty Technical classes, use Pen/Paper. You need the speed and precision of it to keep up with the class. If you want to stay digitized, snap/scan it and paste it into Evernote/Dropbox. Sure you waste paper, but you can remove the sheet of paper from your binder once digitized, view it later on your iPad or laptop.

Lots of textual note-taking, use a MacBook Air or a laptop. You can record a large amount of notes, much faster than you would through typing or handwriting. Stick it in Evernote, so you can go over your notes on your iPad. However, I find this method distracting, so I usually end up using Pen/Paper.

Slower paced humanities classes, use an iPad with Penultimate. You'll often be doing more listening in these classes, and periodically jot down notes. Penultimate with a Jot is great for this, especially with further Evernote integration.

I haven't tried using a bluetooth keyboard with an iPad but I'm guessing it'll enable the iPad to act more like a laptop in terms of notetaking. You can forget about using the onscreen keyboard, its just awkward, slow, and not suitable for heavy duty notetaking.

Hope this helps.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
I've already posted this a couple times, but screw it- here it is again. Just as an aside– maybe you could do a little more searching before bringing this repeated thread up. Anyway, I've included some biochem, anatomy, and physics notes that I took a little while back. Calculations, equations, chemical structures- all easy once you get used to it. On to my opinion...

I LOVE my iPad mini. I have all my college textbooks on it (purchased via Aamzon or scanned), take all my notes on it, and game and surf on it when I'm bored. Ok, so the screen isn't Retina, but it's still a great screen. I mirror what a bunch of people have already said: readability of textbooks is fine, I don't have to "constantly zoom in and out" like other "users" do. I posit that these "users" probably don't have minis, are hard of seeing (not being rude), or are whiners (being slightly rude). I user PDF Expert to keep all my books and school material (syllabi, ppts which I've converted to PDF, etc.) on my mini with PDF Expert's excellent Dropbox syncing (other PDF software also has Dropbox syncing). I use the new Jot Pro by Adonit (with sound dampening tip purchased from Amazon) to take ALL my class notes. I don't use paper at all anymore, and by following Lifehacker's posts on keeping your computer linked to Dropbox, whenever I'm on my Retina Macbook Pro, all my files are synced in the background.

iPad mini + the Jot Pro + Lifehacker's Dropbox info + PDF Expert = Awesome.

BTW, I have the 16GB mini wifi, as I use my iPhone's wifi hotspot when I'm not at home or school, which both have wifi. Also, I can even fit the iPad mini in the front pocket of my jeans! I wear Express Kingston classic straight leg jeans- so they're not skinny jeans, nor are they baggy jeans.

Personally, I've used the iPad 4 and I just think it's WAY too bulky and heavy. The mini is the iPad Apple should've released from the beginning.

From someone who uses his mini for at least 5 hours a day- many times 7-10 hours a day, I am super happy I bought it! Hope this help dude. You can PM me if you have any other questions.

16GB iPad Mini Wifi = Awesome

Attachments

• ANT_Lec 2_Endocrine & Structures.jpg
    ANT_Lec 2_Endocrine & Structures.jpg
    626.6 KB · Views: 755
  • BiochemFinalReview_BMB4210.jpg
    BiochemFinalReview_BMB4210.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 715
  • PHY1120_Rec 2.jpg
    PHY1120_Rec 2.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 480

fingg

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
usa
It said ipad mini 2 will release on March, but I it's better to release later than iphone 5S or iPhone 6 we call.
And the ipad mini 2 said display Retina, is it right?
My ipad mini is for school work but it has a mate which is iPad Mini Leather Bluetooth Keyboard Case, which works great for me.:D

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
I'm considering purchasing an ipad mini mainly for daily media consumption, but I was also wondering how plausible it is to use note taking apps such as Notability or Penultimate on the ipad mini given it's size. I was considering purchasing a full-sized ipad, but I prefer 7 inch tablets and the mini's size. I know that Notability has a zoom feature which could be helpful in taking notes. I am an engineering college student, so the majority of my notes are handwritten. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Logitech is coming out with an ultrathin bluetooth keyboard that will make note taking a breeze!

Seems awesome and makes me seriously consider getting an iPad mini as my main computer. Not a laptop per say, but a genuine device that takes care of all web browsing / email / youtube / gaming / word processing / note taking.

Arianasieghart

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
Chicago
I love my Ipad mini for everything but note taking.

I'm a huge note taker and kinda OCD about neatness, color, form.. And I can't seem to find an app that allows me to easily do all of those tasks as quickly as I could with a notebook and paper (and trust me I've tried many)

My boyfriend on the other hand is a really light note taker and he loves his iPad for notes. So I guess it depends on you

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
No, its not a good device for note taking. If you really need note taking abilities your best bet is the galaxy note 10.1 and the upcoming note 8.0. The surface pro or any of the other windows tablets/pcs with full digitizers is also a great option. You need a tablet with a true digitizer such as wacom. If you use a capacitive tablet handwriting and drawings come out much less accurate and have no pressure sensitivity.

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Unless you can find an app with palm rejection, you will be frustrated. I find holding my hand off a piece of paper when writing is fatiguing.

Suppose I never noticed that since I have a thing for finger gloves basically all the time. The gloves probably blocked any pickups.

As for note taking, depending on the classes you might want to look into an app that lets you record audio of the lectures while taking notes (and time stamping them so they sync up with the audio). Could be handy in lecture heavy classes where the teacher loves to word vomit the whole period.

----------

It will hinder you more than help you. It seems like you are trying to justify the purchase of an ipad by using it for something it's not very good at.

If you gave me the option of a $1,000 tablet and a $1 paper notepad for the purpose of taking notes, I'll take the $1 paper notepad 10 times out of 10.

Sounds like you're trying to shove your personal views on folks like they are facts. Thy aren't.

To the OP:

Sometimes the best answer is to just try it. Apple has a two week return period so just get the iPad and try it out. Might be best to give it that first whirl out of a lecture setting like taking notes on reading material. If that feels okay after a day or two then try it in class. Especially if there is one where you have a buddy that will let you copy notes if yours are a wreck.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I have a question for the people saying it doesn't work.

Have you tried the zoomed in box writing many apps offer? (Like Goodnotes).

I've seen too many "reviews" where the author apparently doesn't realize it exists, and struggles to write tiny on the screen, or scribbles something over multiple spaces.

Quick, detailed, and clean notes are very do-able on iPads.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Logitech is coming out with an ultrathin bluetooth keyboard that will make note taking a breeze!

YouTube: video

Seems awesome and makes me seriously consider getting an iPad mini as my main computer. Not a laptop per say, but a genuine device that takes care of all web browsing / email / youtube / gaming / word processing / note taking.

If its like the bigger one then...

Its big, bulky, and heavy.

I'd prefer something line the Microsoft Surface keyboard.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I originally used by 3rd generation iPad at college for note taking. I then purchased an iPad Mini, all I can say is WOW!

I use it daily for all of my notes, both typed and handwritten. I use an app called Goodnotes. It's absoultely brilliant and I would reccommend it to everyone!

The screen of the iPad mini is the perfect size, not to small or not too large.

I've seen a few posts in this thread saying that the iPad keyboard isn't up to scratch. I completely DISAGREE.

Yes, you make typos every now and then, but that happens on standard keyboards aswell. I find the iPad keyboard much better than a physical keyboard.

So yes, the iPad mini is great for college note taking :D

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
what ever happened to pen and paper?

For my purposes (work/ research), pen and paper have a number of disadvantages:

1. They're not backed up.

2. They only exist in one device - on the paper. I work from home, from my office at the university, sometimes from abroad/ another city when I travel, and sometimes from a coffee shop or a library. When all my notes are digitalised in e.g. Evernote, I never need to think about what to bring where, and I never experience the situation of 'damn, I wish I hadn't left that notebook in the office'.

3. They take space when you travel. I can go on research stays abroad and carry hundreds of pages of research notes and 2000 articles on my iPad, no overweight charges induced.

iPad as a notebook rocks :)

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
For my purposes (work/ research), pen and paper have a number of disadvantages:

1. They're not backed up.

2. They only exist in one device - on the paper. I work from home, from my office at the university, sometimes from abroad/ another city when I travel, and sometimes from a coffee shop or a library. When all my notes are digitalised in e.g. Evernote, I never need to think about what to bring where, and I never experience the situation of 'damn, I wish I hadn't left that notebook in the office'.

3. They take space when you travel. I can go on research stays abroad and carry hundreds of pages of research notes and 2000 articles on my iPad, no overweight charges induced.

iPad as a notebook rocks :)

True. This is how I work as well. But, if someone wants to use pen / paper, just get an app like scannerpro, photograph the notes at the end of every day, and throw them into Evernote.

Better yet, get the Moleskine notebook, take note in it, and send it to Evernote for better image processing + automatic tagging.

markthrash

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Texass
Buy a wireless keyboard and you'll be set. I love taking notes on the mini for class. It beats me writing my crappy handwriting on paper.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If its like the bigger one then...

Its big, bulky, and heavy.

I'd prefer something line the Microsoft Surface keyboard.

This looks like a better solution than the thicker Surface ceyboard cover because it lets you securely use the iPad on your lap. The Surface covers rely on the kickstand to do that and all reviews say it doesn't work well.

Zav

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
I use mine everyday in lectures and seminars. It's the perfect weight to carry around (much lighter than a MBP) and can take more of a beating if I get knocked or put my back down rather hard haha.

In terms of software and usage. I use Evernote for general note taking and goodreader to follow PowerPoints and make notes on them. I don't use an external keyboard as I've become really quite fast and accurate with the integrated one now (after a few weeks it becomes natural). But might invest in one if I'm away from my iMac and need to write an essay.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
what ever happened to pen and paper?

In this day and age, pen and paper is just simply too slow and not anywhere near as efficient.

As a student, I use Evernote on a frequent basis. It's *much* (and I mean by saving up to hours) faster using technology to write, store, organize, find, search, and review notes than by doing it the old-fashioned way of manually writing everything, and then having to store and organize it. Even worse, editing handwritten work is a pain.

GRMM

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2013
Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know I'm starting an "experiment" with an iPad. I want to see if I can replace pen and paper in all my classes (I'm an industrial engineering student).

This is the blog where I'm writing my experience. Hope you like it!

http://ipadvspp.wordpress.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.