Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shahin90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Hey guys,

I just got USB super drive gift from a friend and since I have a USB stick I can install Windows and other applications I want without DVDs.

I wanted to return it to get an Apple TV, but I hear a lot of news about them lately. Is a new version coming out soon so I should wait or should I go get the latest model right now?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Hey guys,

I just got USB super drive gift from a friend and since I have a USB stick I can install Windows and other applications I want without DVDs.

I wanted to return it to get an Apple TV, but I hear a lot of news about them lately. Is a new version coming out soon so I should wait or should I go get the latest model right now?

What do you want it to do for you?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Hey guys,

Within the last two weeks, there was an article that Apple is upgrading the AppleTV from the A5 to the A5X, but that it would be a completely silent update (meaning it won't be an AppleTV4). I think we can safely assume that no "AppleTV4" will be released in the next 6 months then (seems silly to go to the trouble of moving to the A5X only to release a brand new model a month later). It's $99 which makes it a pretty cheap device to replace. Worst case, sell it in a few months for 75 and upgrade if you feel it is worth it. Frankly even when I had AppleTV2's sitting next to my AppleTV3's I didn't really feel or notice a difference. It plays videos. That's it. What would an AppleTV4 bring?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Within the last two weeks, there was an article that Apple is upgrading the AppleTV from the A5 to the A5X, but that it would be a completely silent update (meaning it won't be an AppleTV4). I think we can safely assume that no "AppleTV4" will be released in the next 6 months then (seems silly to go to the trouble of moving to the A5X only to release a brand new model a month later). It's $99 which makes it a pretty cheap device to replace. Worst case, sell it in a few months for 75 and upgrade if you feel it is worth it. Frankly even when I had AppleTV2's sitting next to my AppleTV3's I didn't really feel or notice a difference. It plays videos. That's it. What would an AppleTV4 bring?

I think than an ATV4 could bring some pretty amazing things: games, apps, and even combine the technology of the base station express and the ATV to have a combination streaming device/router. This way, you could have ATV serve as the hub(as it should be) and be able to connect multiple accounts to it to play games, watch movies, or watch sports. All on different devices and all in different rooms. That's what I would like to see.

And to answer the OP's question. It's always worth it in my opinion.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I think than an ATV4 could bring some pretty amazing things: games, apps, and even combine the technology of the base station express and the ATV to have a combination streaming device/router. This way, you could have ATV serve as the hub(as it should be) and be able to connect multiple accounts to it to play games, watch movies, or watch sports. All on different devices and all in different rooms. That's what I would like to see.

And to answer the OP's question. It's always worth it in my opinion.

Games and Apps could be added to the AppleTV2 and AppleTV3 just as easily.

The part about serving as a hub, kind of defeats Homesharing from iTunes so I don't see it. That already is your "hub" is it not?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Games and Apps could be added to the AppleTV2 and AppleTV3 just as easily.

The part about serving as a hub, kind of defeats Homesharing from iTunes so I don't see it. That already is your "hub" is it not?

The reason I think the ATV could serve as a hub as well as iTunes would be as a source for media/apps/games that do not exist in the iTunes library. In this way, many people could access the ATV at the same time and use it for very different purposes.

I don't know of any iOS apps that allow someone to play a game that was downloaded via a user's iTunes store account and stored on iTunes.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I love the "worth it question" the box is $85 to $99 depending on refurb or new. Just get it an be happy - Apple will update the existing box to include new software features. Just a few weeks ago we got Bluetooth support.

If Apple does come out with a new box at some point you can sell your current one for $50 and buy the new one.

shahin90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
What do you want it to do for you?

I don't have a smart TV and sometimes want to watch youtube on my TV and it's a hassle to connect the laptop for a short video. Also, I watch a lot of movies on my laptop, so it would be good to watch them on the TV with airplay.

Thanks to others for your answers. I think I will get one. I just wish it was jail broken though :(

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I don't have a smart TV and sometimes want to watch youtube on my TV and it's a hassle to connect the laptop for a short video. Also, I watch a lot of movies on my laptop, so it would be good to watch them on the TV with airplay.

Thanks to others for your answers. I think I will get one. I just wish it was jail broken though :(

You can do all you want to do on the current model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.