Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrtravel123

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Come on ... what's the profit of the iWatch?

• Screen is to small.
  • Retina Display
  • Touch-screen on iWatch, with baby fingers only?
  • You have to charge everyday.
  • It's from apple.

It only would work as a display for the iphone ... some very basic inputs are possible. So you don't need to check your iPhone so often, instead you check your iWatch. Controll your playlist over the iWatch.

Price will be 199$ for 2GB 299$ for 4GB ...

I think that we have to think outside the box a lot more. If Apple is indeed pursuing the idea of an "iWatch" then they're going to have a multitude of tech experts at Apple looking at what creative possibilities there are. Not only in the short-term.... but in the long-term. Apple isn't just looking ahead 6 months or 12 months. I'm sure that they have a vision for tech that stretches beyond even 5 or 10 years, although so many things are hard to predict. Entire home integration with multiple Apple products, etc. Anything you can imagine... I'm sure that there has already been extensive discussion on it at Apple HQ. And, assuming gestures and Siri are something Apple continues to use, I can envision an iWatch having some of these features to assist with navigation, control, etc. Besides, the watch doesn't have to have 500 features, just as a basic iPod doesn't have 500 features. So long as it accomplishes the tasks it was meant for.... and more than likely can also be software driven and easily integrated with Apple's other products. I do see Apple always trying to accomplish that (integration). I can even see apps on a watch.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
if the iphone 5s is the main release for this year its going to be a boring apple year. But that´s ok. there´s really nothing currently I want after last years bonanza. I bought a top model imac, and iphone 5, ipad mini and regular ipad. Right now I go into apple.com and there´s really nothing I want to buy...so unless apple is planning to release something we dont even know we want yet, it´s not going to be a lot of money coming from me into apples accounts this year anyway.

personally I hope there´s going to be a lot more happening with ios and osx this year. New and slicker gui with new brilliant ideas, new features etc.. iOS hasn´t had any awesome updates for a long time. Maps and Siri are still beta IMO

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I'm wondering when Apple will begin making a larger iPad. Maybe when iOS becomes more capable of bridging the gap between tablet and desktop we can see a tablet with is also a desktop.

anomalogue

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
"Slab of software"

A tablet (or smartphone/iPod Touch) is really ONLY software, to the user. It's just a slab of software--whatever task you are doing at the moment--with a lot of hidden stuff driving it.

This is a fantastic insight, and very well-said. Thank you.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Never saw someone make so many pointless and empty predictions before. "New iPhones will come... Eventually!" Yeah, no kidding.

The real story that needs to be reported is that Apple is basically become a company without focus. They are attempting to grow their customer base in the near term by providing a multitude of products. While it will improve their short-term sales numbers, they will ultimately dilute their brand to nothing other than just another competitor in a sea of many. Apple products used to be trend setting and well targeted, but are now just reduced to following whatever else looks even remotely promising.

This sounds very true actually.
"New iPhones will come... Eventually!" Tomorrow or 10 years from now, both are eventually. ANd unless the iPhone 5 is the last one ever, he will be right with this prediction. Tells us fat zero information though.

I have to agree Apple is slowly turning to the previous time with no Jobs. I think adding more and more products to their line is not the best thing to do. Making each one the best is the way to go. That's what Jobs did and it worked. And that's what John Sculley, Gil Amelio etc did and it failed. Apple shuld learn from history and not make these mistakes again.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
IWatch is going to be huge. It's going to do way more than anyone ever expects. You heard it here first.:D

Huge ? like an iPad with a strap ~? :D

----------

I'm wondering when Apple will begin making a larger iPad. Maybe when iOS becomes more capable of bridging the gap between tablet and desktop we can see a tablet with is also a desktop.

You have just described the next iMac refresh

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Nothing until Fall

So basically if you believe this report then there will be nothing new until fall at the earliest.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
A Retina Mac Mini would be awesome too!

Disclaimers:
- This is joke, I feel I must write this because of the sheer number of comments following so called jokes.
- This so called joke might not be funny
- This so called joke might have been made before.
I did not search for it, nor felt inclined to do so
- Do not taunt happy fun ball.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Improve your Software!

I don't care about hardware. I want them to update their outdated software -

iPhoto is slow and buggy
iMovie is slow
there hasn't been an update to iWork in 4 years!
and for god's sake do something about the magazine app it is horrible - the idea that you have to download a separate APP for every magazine is ridiculous, then when there's an update you see the notice but there's no way to really know which magazine actually has the new issues, can't even appear to download multiple issues from different magazines at once.

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
The iphone has a broad appeal, and is very useful simply as a good phone. An iwatch however, has no significant use, unless you are willing to / have the patience to use it to its potential. Which to many people sounds like a chore. Therefore, the iwatch will not sell millions, will take a long time for consumer adoption and will not add to Apple's bottom line much at all. It seems like a waste of time.

I thought exactly the same of the iPad when it first came out: "what is the use of this thing other than browsing the net from the couch? Cant I do that already with my Macbook Air 11"?".

The truth is that the iPad is mostly an entertainment device without any clear specific use (as opposed to the iPhone or Macbook Pro), yet they sold millions of units.

So... why couldn't the iWatch follow the same path?

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Never saw someone make so many pointless and empty predictions before. "New iPhones will come... Eventually!" Yeah, no kidding.

The real story that needs to be reported is that Apple is basically become a company without focus. They are attempting to grow their customer base in the near term by providing a multitude of products. While it will improve their short-term sales numbers, they will ultimately dilute their brand to nothing other than just another competitor in a sea of many. Apple products used to be trend setting and well targeted, but are now just reduced to following whatever else looks even remotely promising.

If you don't follow for the sake of not following you're digging a much deeper hole to be honest.

Apple finally realized that customers DO have diverse needs and wishes and if you don't cater to very important ones like the size of the display, you're digging yourself one nice hole when competitors took the chance to actually go ahead and pick up that need much sooner than you.

You're free not to buy and the plethora of Macs that are available to pick from standard/BTO/CTO are proof that diversity doesn't have to harm your business.

For Christ's sake, it's not like they will unleash dozens of iOS device screen sizes, calm down folks.

Glassed Silver:mac

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
It will be a time of Big plans, Big products announcements and Small profits. This new generation is full of cheap geeks droids that for some reason are looking for "options" that they will never use.

My mom start repeating the false news that Apple is going down and maybe out of business soon. Why is an Army out there bashing Apple for free??? Envy? What is going on?

Apple is not the best comoany in the world but the products are cool, why suddenly Droidheads are just hating baddly every where??

Anyway, people are like doing lines for Androids and Apple fans already got the up to date gadgets so when all this new devices arrive we need to wait a year to get it...

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think that we have to think outside the box a lot more. If Apple is indeed pursuing the idea of an "iWatch" then they're going to have a multitude of tech experts at Apple looking at what creative possibilities there are. Not only in the short-term.... but in the long-term. Apple isn't just looking ahead 6 months or 12 months. I'm sure that they have a vision for tech that stretches beyond even 5 or 10 years, although so many things are hard to predict. Entire home integration with multiple Apple products, etc. Anything you can imagine... I'm sure that there has already been extensive discussion on it at Apple HQ. And, assuming gestures and Siri are something Apple continues to use, I can envision an iWatch having some of these features to assist with navigation, control, etc. Besides, the watch doesn't have to have 500 features, just as a basic iPod doesn't have 500 features. So long as it accomplishes the tasks it was meant for.... and more than likely can also be software driven and easily integrated with Apple's other products. I do see Apple always trying to accomplish that (integration). I can even see apps on a watch.
I agree...Apple won't just develop a product just to get into a product category. Maybe it will integrate with an upcoming Apple TV as a remote....not sure but it will ty into their ecosystem somehow.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I am no fanboy by any means, but I do remember when the ipad came out. People were saying "why do I need a big iphone when I already have an iPhone and a laptop".
And I'd bet that half the iPads in existence have been either been shelved or double as pricey Kindles right now.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
I like the idea of an "iwatch", only I am worried it will be both
a) too weirdo futuristic design to be something I would wear visibly.
b)too expensive for the functionality it provides

Keep it below $150 to solve issue B.

Issue A: Provide the watch "head" only, in serious grown up colors. Black, White, Silver. If it sells down the line they can come out with the blue, green, etc. Watch has mounting points for both Apple brand straps and 3rd party straps. Metal, fabric, rubber, leather, etc. For something as visibly worn as a watch, this thing will fall on it's face if customer's are able to choose from as many options as possible. It also can't LOOK like it's a mix-and-match situation. The mounting has to be done very discreet and seamlessly.

Much like Fossil's "Watch Bar" or whatever it's called.

What would it actually DO?

-Receive texts
-calendar alerts
-notifications
-read emails
-social media alerts
-music control
-NFC payments in the near future
-Excercise tracking applications

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again

100% agreed. It's troubling to see them dabbling in what wrecked them 10-15 years ago. Just kick butt at a few things!

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I predict that flying cars are coming... But its only a matter of timing.. Could be 2060 or 2075 :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.