Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melissapete24

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Pennsylvania
So, I hunted around for quite some time on here and all over Google, and I CANNOT find ANY help. Perhaps someone here could help?

I downloaded Adventure (aka Colossal Cave Adventure) from Lobotomo, and it works great, exactly the way it should. However, perhaps it's not working so great after all.... I (finally) got all 15 treasures, dropped them in my house, and made it all the way to Witt's End, including dropping the magazine for that 1 elusive point. And that's where I'm stuck. I CANNOT get to the end of the game. I have wandered Witt's End. Nothing. I have just turned off my lamp and done nothing for turns and turns and turns. Nothing. I CANNOT get the voice that talks about the cave closing, etc.

I'M at my wit's end. Any help? Please? I'm desperate. This is bugging me beyond belief. Victory is *RIGHT THERE*! Help!

melissapete24

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Pennsylvania
Oh, trust me, I HAVE googled. Otherwise I wouldn't have tried wandering until my lamp battery died and I fell down a pit and died, or waiting and waiting until something happened, like others said, which it never did. *sigh* I'm so frustrated! The end of the game is RIGHT. THERE! :/

----------

So, I hunted around for quite some time on here and all over Google, and I CANNOT find ANY help. Perhaps someone here could help?

See, Googled it. Nothing. :(

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
downloaded, thanks for pointing it out :)
I "cut my teeth" on infocom! I think I can credit any ability to touch type to Zork I!

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011

I downloaded Adventure (aka Colossal Cave Adventure) from Lobotomo, and it works great, exactly the way it should. However, perhaps it's not working so great after all.... I (finally) got all 15 treasures, dropped them in my house, and made it all the way to Witt's End, including dropping the magazine for that 1 elusive point. And that's where I'm stuck. I CANNOT get to the end of the game. I have wandered Witt's End. Nothing. I have just turned off my lamp and done nothing for turns and turns and turns. Nothing. I CANNOT get the voice that talks about the cave closing, etc.

I'M at my wit's end. Any help? Please? I'm desperate. This is bugging me beyond belief. Victory is *RIGHT THERE*! Help!

"Don't go west". That may sound like a trivial answer, but it really isn't. If you go in that direction, you likely will run out your lamp. I always used to follow the pattern N,E,S,E,U,D, and sometimes that would work immediately. Other times (which led me to believe the pattern was not foolproof), it didn't, but I just kept repeating. I don't recall ever running out of battery when I did this, assuming I didn't have to waste a lot of time killing dwarves.

Wow, it's been a long damn time! I used to run cave reliably in around 305 or 310 turns? (Can't even remember this; is it possible to run in 205 to 210?) I had it tuned down to a fine efficient art. Had to; you didn't want to get caught playing cave at work, so when you did, you had to go ahead and knock it out!

On the other hand, this implementation might have problems. Any version of cave that says 'quit' is a word but then says it doesn't understand 'quit' needs work. Can't say I care for the colors, but I understand the heritage, as it's mine as well. Wish the screen background was just simple black instead of that dark olive green.

Last edited:

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011

"Wait"? Wait for what? Cave was developed for time-sharing crt (or even decwriter paper) text terminals connected to TSO or vs/9 or a DEC or some other conversational system. You type and hit enter (or CTRL-C), it responds back, repeat as necessary. Cave wasn't running some interrupt based subtask in the background that would fire after a certain timeframe once you got to witts end; that's not how timesharing worked. I think if you "wait", you'll be waiting a long time.

Last edited:

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Oh, trust me, I HAVE googled. Otherwise I wouldn't have tried wandering until my lamp battery died and I fell down a pit and died, or waiting and waiting until something happened, like others said, which it never did. *sigh* I'm so frustrated! The end of the game is RIGHT. THERE! :/

----------

See, Googled it. Nothing. :(

Oops sorry that will teach me to read posts correctly.

melissapete24

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have clicked just about any link from google. I tried wandering, but I'd eventually run out of battery, or it would tell me I just lost points for taking 350 or more turns. My copy is one that doesn't understand the command "quit". Anyone know of a better one? Maybe that's my problem. However, I did download a different one, and I had the same problem. Stuck at witt's end until my lamp ran out or i got fed up and closed the game. I don't understand what I got wrong. It's extremely frustrating and rather disappointing. :mad: :(

----------

On the other hand, this implementation might have problems. Any version of cave that says 'quit' is a word but then says it doesn't understand 'quit' needs work. Can't say I care for the colors, but I understand the heritage, as it's mine as well. Wish the screen background was just simple black instead of that dark olive green.

You can go into options and change the colors. They also have blue (my personal favorite) and amber (which I think looks kinda pukey, lol). However, the fact remains that I STILL can't get past Witt's End.

Does anyone know of any other versions of Cave for Macs? I'd be willing to give it a whirl, anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.