Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
A guy can win hundreds of awards in his lifetime, but when a kid's show honors what you do, you know you've truly made it.

And I'm not being sarcastic about this, either. If a show like the Electric Company, Sesame Street, or Mr. Rogers (for the oldschool) has a segment on you that ends up with them shaking your hand or giving you a trophy, you know you're doing something at least really interesting.

----------

Agreed - but, to avoid (yet another) international incident over the pronunciation, let's just call it "ally" shall we? :p

We'll cal it The Silver Metal That's Not Silver Or Platinum"

"But wouldn't it be easier just to call it Alumi..."

NUH! Don't say it. :mad:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
New iMac:
With the iPad-like adhesive severed, we bust out the heavy-duty stuff.
Repair faux pas alert! To save space and eliminate the gap between the glass and the pixels, Apple opted to fuse the front glass and the LCD. This means that if you want to replace one, you'll have to replace both.
The fused display may look awesome, but at what cost, Apple? At. What. Cost!?
The cost is quickly apparent: cutting open the display destroys the foam adhesive securing it shut. Putting things back together will require peeling off and replacing all of the original adhesive, which will be a major pain for repairers.

And thats just one thing...there is more.. for you to find out what those are.
Is that from iFixit? They're not exactly objective. Also nothing you just quoted equates to an iMac having to be "thrown away" if something goes wrong with it.

C

champ01

A guy can win hundreds of awards in his lifetime, but when a kid's show honors what you do, you know you've truly made it.

The word you're looking for is "marketing"
And yes that is truly sad indeed.

C

champ01

Is that from iFixit? They're not exactly objective. Also nothing you just quoted equates to an iMac having to be "thrown away" if something goes wrong with it.

Like I said before. Its impossible to go in discussion with fanboys. (To be fair I was one of them for a long time)

If things are not easy to repair the design is a joke. Period.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
The BBC is obsessed with a handful of brands and gives undue prominence to them in various outlets (mainly news), despite the Editorial Guidelines forbidding this to happen. Apple is one of these brands, although Twitter and Facebook receive a little more exposure.

This 'award' is not really surprising.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Like I said before. Its impossible to go in discussion with fanboys. (To be fair I was one of them for a long time)

If things are not easy to repair the design is a joke. Period.

So because I don't agree with you on this subject I'm a fanboy? Real intelligent discussion there. :rolleyes:

Do yo have any stats on people who have the new iMacs and have run into issues getting them repaired? I'm specifically talking about taking the machine in to be repaired and having a technician say it's not serviceable.

iFixit is just sore because devices that are more difficult for the average joe to repair hurts their business. But who made them God when it comes to good/bad design?

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I've got a Blue Peter badge, just one of the regular plastic ones. I wrote a letter to the show when I was about 9 or 10. Apparently they felt the letter was so interesting that I should be awarded with a badge!

C

champ01

Some of you people are too cynical for your own good.

If only people were a little more cynical they would know that they are forced with marketing techniques 24/7 their entire life.

Example: Everyone that bought the iPad Mini is seriously not thinking straight. We all know the iPad Mini could've had easily a Retina display. Yet there are enough suckers out their buying everything that Apple puts on the market.
Why do these people buy these crappy products.... MARKETING. ;)

Renzatic

Suspended
iFixit is just sore because devices that are more difficult for the average joe to repair hurts their business. But who made them God when it comes to good/bad design?

They don't criticize design. They never say "It's almost impossible to get into, and once you're in there, everything has been superglued to the motherboard, which takes hours to remove. But...you know...the chassis is just so sleek and stylish, and projects classiness with every beveled edge. I don't think we could give it anything less than a 6/10".

No. What they do is look at a device and give it a low score if it's difficult to fix, and a high one if it's easy.

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Isn't it weird?

We got Jonathan Ive saying he liked the idea of using old things for a second life.

Yet he designs stuff that you must trow away when its broken because the design makes it impossible to repair it.

Ive.. your designs may look nice but overall they suck.
Stop with your planned obsolescence designs!

You can recycle ANY Apple device by dropping it off at an Apple Store.

Stop with the disinformation.

C

champ01

So because I don't agree with you on this subject I'm a fanboy? Real intelligent discussion there. :rolleyes:

Do yo have any stats on people who have the new iMacs and have run into issues getting them repaired? I'm specifically talking about taking the machine in to be repaired and having a technician say it's not serviceable.

Having a technician replace my hard drive. Are you serious???
And thats with warranty. You get ripped by Apple when the warranty is over.

iFixit is a great site that not have their heads in Apple's bottom yet. Be happy that they are still independent. At least they try to be honest.

Renzatic

Suspended
If only people were a little more cynical they would know that they are forced with marketing techniques 24/7 their entire life.

Example: Everyone that bought the iPad Mini is seriously not thinking straight. We all know the iPad Mini could've had easily a Retina display. Yet there are enough suckers out their buying everything that Apple puts on the market.

Have you watched the video? Other than having a couple iPad Minis in there, which they don't focus on or even mention by name (to the untrained eye, they could be any tablet from that distance), the video is all about what Ives designed as a kid, what some kids are designing now, and throws in a shot of an aluminium milling machine at work as a bonus towards the end. There's no direct mention of Apple or any of their products in the entire clip.

There's no real marketing appeal to this.

Jaredly

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
OMG a real fanboy. How can I ever have a normal conversation with you.

Have you even seen the new Macbook Retina and iMac?

And who cares what Microsoft does. Go back to the iFixit site and see what scores new Apple products get. ;)

The show would teach you how to make stuff out of broken and unused things around the house "such as a deodorant bottle". My sister has just sculpted my old PowerBook into a butterfly. (Not the best looking thing but it is art) And that is proof that these products can take on new life after they are done being used just like This tv show shows kids how to do.

C

champ01

Have you watched the video? Other than having a couple iPad Minis in there, which they don't focus on or even mention by name (to the untrained eye, they could be any tablet from that distance), the video is all about what Ives designed as a kid, what some kids are designing now, and throws in a shot of an aluminium milling machine at work as a bonus towards the end. There's no direct mention of Apple or any of their products in the entire clip.

There's no real marketing appeal to this.

You really have no idea how marketing works do you? Do you have kids? If so tell me how their actions (what they think they need/want) are created.

Btw the iPad was just an example.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA

I gotta jump in. You're HILARIOUS! All these people who buy Apple stuff in droves aren't really as satisfied as they believe they are; the clever, Machiavellian Apple marketing team brainwashed them into buying garbage. I feel so sorry for these poor Apple product owners who are so misguided for liking what they were cleverly lured into buying.

Wow. I wish we were all as insightful. Now I must go throw away my watch (also a piece of junk since I can't fix it myself) because it's running slow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.