Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
There's no mac client, just a downloader/updater. Works just like Blizzard's downloaders.

what is to stop me from preloading the game and setting the date on my mac to next month...? do you need and internet connection to play the game (the game can looks at the server and see my clock is not set the the correct time)

I'll wait for the App store version

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
what is to stop me from preloading the game and setting the date on my mac to next month...? do you need and internet connection to play the game (the game can looks at the server and see my clock is not set the the correct time)

I'll wait for the App store version

The game downloads everything but the executable, which will be downloaded on release day.

You do not need to be online to play the game. The executable itself is DRM-free.

IMO buying it direct is the way to go. You won't have to worry about patches being delayed by Apple.

Renzatic

Suspended
It's surreal how high level spells that don't even exist in BG1 work seamlessly after importing a BG2 character. There are some exceptions. If you cast "Wish" the djinn just kind of hangs around without speaking. Funny how the "slayer" icon carries over too. Tried using it but there's just a pretty light show without any transformation :p

I'd say that's because the Enhanced Edition actually uses an updated rev of the BGII engine. I'm not surprised it has a good amount of it's assets tucked away behind the scenes.

This also means we're likely to get BGII sooner rather than later. :D

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
It won't be, but hopefully it won't be too much longer after that. Depends on Apple.

That's up to Atari, unfortunately.

Hmm, too bad Atari is going bankrupt. It makes me wonder what is going to happen with availability on this. Since I am not a soothsayer I would not attempt to guess here.

Anyway, Steam or bust I say. If they don't want my money, that's fine. I already own the game along with BGII and can do my own application of mods and enjoy it in Parallels. I just thought it would be cool to play it native and skip bothering with that stuff.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Just bought the Beamdog version as I was reading that the update cycle will be better as they won't need Apple's approval unlike the app store version. The download speed is awful, I have 30Mbps broadband and getting 120-200KBs download speed. Did a speed test to check if my connection was playing up but got 24Mbps on that.

Edit: Improved after a few minutes and went up to 1.0 - 1.7MBps, better but still not amazing.

Last edited:

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Just bought the Beamdog version as I was reading that the update cycle will be better as they won't need Apple's approval unlike the app store version.
Edit: Improved after a few minutes and went up to 1.0 - 1.7MBps, better but still not amazing.

We'll be awaiting your impressions...

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Are there any real benefits to getting from the Mac App store? I've been waiting a long while for this game, and am looking to buy it this weekend....

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Are there any real benefits to getting from the Mac App store? I've been waiting a long while for this game, and am looking to buy it this weekend....

Other than the benefits inherent in the App store itself, (easiest download experience) no, and you're at the mercy of their update schedules.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Other than the benefits inherent in the App store itself, (easiest download experience) no, and you're at the mercy of their update schedules.

hm didn't think so. ah well i'll just download it from the devs.

thanks.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
We'll be awaiting your impressions...

Initial impressions are not too bad. Looks dated but that's to be expected, actually doesn't look as bad as I'd thought it'd be on the retina. Game play seems to be what I remember which is the main draw of the game, so not regretting buying it.

One issue on the retina I'm having (also get this on FM2013), is when the game is launched part of the game screen is missing (took some screen and they were 2560 x 1440). I then set it to Windowed mode and then back again to full screen which fixes the issue and the screens are then 1440x900. Need to figure out why as it's annoying.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Initial impressions are not too bad. Looks dated but that's to be expected, actually doesn't look as bad as I'd thought it'd be on the retina. Game play seems to be what I remember which is the main draw of the game, so not regretting buying it.

One issue on the retina I'm having (also get this on FM2013), is when the game is launched part of the game screen is missing (took some screen and they were 2560 x 1440). I then set it to Windowed mode and then back again to full screen which fixes the issue and the screens are then 1440x900. Need to figure out why as it's annoying.

It's a known issue, and one not unique to this game (happens in Jedi Academy.)

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Trent Oster posted on twitter today:

Just got a message that BG:EE for the Mac app store is changed status to "In Review"

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
It's surreal how high level spells that don't even exist in BG1 work seamlessly after importing a BG2 character. There are some exceptions. If you cast "Wish" the djinn just kind of hangs around without speaking. Funny how the "slayer" icon carries over too. Tried using it but there's just a pretty light show without any transformation :p

you realize it was built off BG2 and not BG1 right?

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
And after a short time in review, BGEE is rejected by Apple yet again.

Well we are fortunate to have Apple to screen defective games for us unlike PC users who got to experience the bug ridden first release of this title.

It will be nice when and if they finally get their act together.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Well we are fortunate to have Apple to screen defective games for us unlike PC users who got to experience the bug ridden first release of this title.

It will be nice when and if they finally get their act together.

I've been playing the Mac version since it was released on their site. The amount of bugs I've experienced so far has been 0, unless you count screen size being incorrect at start so I have to come out of full screen and then back in to fix it. As that also happens with FM2013 and other users report the same issue with other games, that's caused by Apple as it only occurs in OS X on a rMBP.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I'm guessing the rejection is because Apple didn't like the symlink that pointed to the save files, which only exists because of Apple's stupid sandboxing limitations.

Edit: From their twitter, it's a text issue, not a problem with the game. I assume they mean something related to the app description. Those problems have fast turnaround times.

Last edited:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
BG Enhanced Edition is live now on the USA Mac App Store, the game date release says March 11, 2013.

But who am I kidding... I'm only halfway through Diablo 3. D3 is running silky smooth on my late-2012 iMac. Not sure why there was so much hate on this game. Sure the always-online requirement is stupid, but even while I'm strictly playing solo at this time, the only time that matters is during Blizzard's weekly "Maintenance Server Down Time" etc.

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I played the windows version a bit and got owned hard before the first town by a pack of wolves.

I don't remember it being anywhere near that hard back in the day.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I played the windows version a bit and got owned hard before the first town by a pack of wolves.

I don't remember it being anywhere near that hard back in the day.
Before the first couple of updates, there were too many random spawns. I experienced the same on the iPad.

----------

Beamdog earns more from a sale on their store. I'm getting the App store version though, as I like to keep my software in as few places as possible. I'm not getting a download manager for one single game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.