Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I read financial aid. That isnt loans to me.

But if its a loan, spend it on whatever you want, your gonna pay it back eventually.

Most financial aid is in the form of loans. At least that is how my university describes it. They give you a "financial aid package" where a good 70-80% of it is loans, and the rest is scholarships/work-study/etc

----------

As a taxpayer who won't benefit from it, yes I have a major problem with it

You do? why?

It is a tool used for education

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Most financial aid is in the form of loans. At least that is how my university describes it. They give you a "financial aid package" where a good 70-80% of it is loans, and the rest is scholarships/work-study/etc

----------

You do? why?

It is a tool used for education

you know what, let your parents pay for it then!!!!!

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005

Why?

Not to mention alot of students don't have families that can afford to buy their kids computers.

As a taxpayer you should be all for these laons. Not only are you getting alot back in return due to the interest....they are also the most secure form of loan you can give. Payback is 100%. You can't absolve them in bankruptcy or whatnot

So once again, what is your issue with these loans being used to finance an educational tool such as a computer?

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006

You clearly have no clue whatsoever how financial aid works. Don't comment on things you don't understand.

So once again, what is your issue with these loans being used to finance an educational tool such as a computer?

The only issue here is a poster jumping to conclusions without having any clue whatsoever how financial aid works.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
You clearly have no clue whatsoever how financial aid works. Don't comment on things you don't understand.

The only issue here is a poster jumping to conclusions without having any clue whatsoever how financial aid works.

Ummm... I have a clue pal. Half of you don't pay your student loads back. So guess who fits the bill??

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
Ummm... I have a clue pal. Half of you don't pay your student loads back. So guess who fits the bill??

You can never get rid of loans. Even if you default, prepare to get your bank accounts emptied/levied, hits on credit in every aspect of your life, and acrrue massive penalties. In other words, financial hell and essentially indentured servitude.

Quite a different story than your's or my parent's generation when it was not unheard of to go get an advanced degree (med/law/mba) then declare bankruptcy and never worry about paying them pack (as the practice was allowed). Not to mention how much cheaper universities were when you were of age. Just at my university, compared to now to when I started 11 years ago, tuition has risen by 400%. Much more than the rate of inflation. Not to mention the increases in fees and whatnot that goes along with that.

If it was a net loss (as you are seemingly implying), you can bet that the loans would not be so easy to be granted. The fact they are so easy to get is because they are essentially guaranteed to be paid back and thus, inherently in the interest of the lender. The lowest risk of lending there is.

You talk about footing the bill? How about my generation footing your generation's bill over the next decades due to the financial mess your generation put us in?

Thanks for that.. truly

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
You talk about footing the bill? How about my generation footing your generation's bill over the next decades due to the financial mess your generation put us in?

Thanks for that.. truly

Thanks to me? I've been working and paying my fair share of taxes since the late 60's. Blame our government, not me...... I've never once taken a government handout in all that time

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Weird thread. It's your money, use it for whatever the hell you want. A computer is a requirement for college, may as well buy one that won't break before you even graduate. A mac is the only computer i've ever used, why would i switch just because some people think i should use financial aid for a crappy pc? I want nothing to do with them.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006

Apparently you don't even know what a loan is.

You HAVE to pay your loans back. If you don't, you'll face bankruptcy, garnished wages, credit scores in the toilet, inability to take out other lines of credit, etc. The government WILL get their money back.

I have to pay all my loans back plus 7%. Interest rates on education is over double that for personal car loans, etc. So, the government is actually making money off of my (and every other student's) loans.

Loans are NOT handouts. Trying to claim that just illustrates the point that you have shown absolutely no clue as to how the financial aid system and, to a degree, how our entire financial system works.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Loans are NOT handouts. Trying to claim that just illustrates the point that you have shown absolutely no clue as to how the financial aid system and, to a degree, how our entire financial system works.

Are you surprised? Sadly, many people are this uninformed. Also, even if you file for bankruptcy, you STILL have to pay your student loans, they never go away and it's nearly impossible not to pay them back. But conservatives would do anything in their power to get rid of student loans if they could just to make sure college is only accessible for the wealthy. Sounds like a republican wet dream. That way they can limit the amount of brown people and poor people who go to college.

----------

Ummm... I have a clue pal.

Yeah, no, you really don't....

----------

Yes you won't benefit from the next generation being more educated. God forbid this country actually gets back on the right track with more educated citizens and less rednecks. When you're old, guess who's going to be taking care of you. The next generation....

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Apparently you don't even know what a loan is.

You HAVE to pay your loans back. If you don't, you'll face bankruptcy, garnished wages, credit scores in the toilet, inability to take out other lines of credit, etc. The government WILL get their money back.

I have to pay all my loans back plus 7%. Interest rates on education is over double that for personal car loans, etc. So, the government is actually making money off of my (and every other student's) loans.

7%? That's high, one of my loans is 2% and the rest are 0.26%. I'm not sure why one of them is higher then the rest. :/

Hugh

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Considering the cost of tuition in North America where it's largely out of control (side from Québec), most parents can't afford to pay it to their kids. Or, as in Québec, it's simply not in their culture.

Even if we defaulted, which obviously isn't the case, you would still benefit from our presence, much more than getting the money back but not the educated. Yet another reason to make tuition free.

Thanks to me? I've been working and paying my fair share of taxes since the late 60's. Blame our government, not me...... I've never once taken a government handout in all that time
Always the government's fault, isn't it?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Are you surprised? Sadly, many people are this uninformed. Also, even if you file for bankruptcy, you STILL have to pay your student loans, they never go away and it's nearly impossible not to pay them back. But conservatives would do anything in their power to get rid of student loans if they could just to make sure college is only accessible for the wealthy. Sounds like a republican wet dream. That way they can limit the amount of brown people and poor people who go to college.

No, you are partly right. Conservative 'republicans' want to have banks handle the student loan system so that they can charge 'market rate' interest for the loans and then when people default on them, the banks can go crawling back to the keepers of the treasury and beg for huge bailouts which they will not have to pay back. (and then gut more social programs)

Also, when you consider that the 'tea party' was concocted by a group that sought to deny basic science and research into the damaging effects of tobacco consumption (among other products), you can fully understand the 'tea parties' complete hatred of 'science' and those things called 'facts'. They really hate 'research' too it seems. 'Education' is something you catch like crabs, scabies and STD's and is to be avoided...

People need to watch Idiocracy to see what the future of this country *could* be.

I something the other day: It's harder to be a liberal because it's always easier to flip someone off than giving them a hand... And with that, I'm out of this thread...

Don't feed the trolls.

Last edited:

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Why do you need to know what we think? What difference will it make?
Get what you need, if you can get by with 3-400 dollar laptop go for it. If you want a Mac go for it they are both computers and will get most things done (Mac though with less issues). I mean you also could have gotten a scooter (better gas milage and cheaper tags etc.) and a really good umbrella, but instead you fixed your car......

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON....

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I think this thread can be summarized as:

Is it wrong to use financial aid for things like Macs or a computer? NO

Is it smart to do so? Probably not given the interest rate and accumulation over time (Perkins - rare - 2.5%?+, Subsidized Stafford 4.25%+, Unsub 6-6.55%, Private even more?).

/threadclose

oilujjulio

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2019
I don't think its wrong. If it is was that frowned upon I don't know why the government would give you back the money in the first place.

The only things I've ever used financial aid on was for fixing things or helping me out through college. I bought a macbook air because i didn't have a computer for college and quite frankly its the best computer I've owned. Ive also fixed me car from being an utter POS to drivable all through financial aid, and I don't feel like I've done anything wrong.
[doublepost=1567322634][/doublepost]
Why do you need to know what we think? What difference will it make?
Get what you need, if you can get by with 3-400 dollar laptop go for it. If you want a Mac go for it they are both computers and will get most things done (Mac though with less issues). I mean you also could have gotten a scooter (better gas milage and cheaper tags etc.) and a really good umbrella, but instead you fixed your car......

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON....
What's the process to buy a Macbook Pro true FAFSA?

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
Honestly, there's nothing about a Macbook Air that you need, that a PC couldn't do. Is it right or wrong? Morality is tough to call, but was it a necessity? Definitely not. How do I know this? A mac for college is useful if you need it for film/photography/etc., in which case you'd opt for a computer with a larger hard drive and faster CPU.

Adding to this: The Mac is a software developer's dream machine. With one Mac you can build software that will run on any device: Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, IoT, Linux, etc. This is in large part thanks to .NET Core.

For Computer Science or Information Systems students a Mac is ideal.

Reactions: chrono1081

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I don't think its wrong. If it is was that frowned upon I don't know why the government would give you back the money in the first place.

The only things I've ever used financial aid on was for fixing things or helping me out through college. I bought a macbook air because i didn't have a computer for college and quite frankly its the best computer I've owned. Ive also fixed me car from being an utter POS to drivable all through financial aid, and I don't feel like I've done anything wrong.

You can use it for whatever you want, but just remember, you have to pay it back. The refund isn’t so much of a refund as it is “here’s the extra money left over for the loan we took out in your name”. You’re still on the hook for it.

This is why many students will keep their refund in a savings account or something and use it to pay off student loans.

Reactions: millerj123

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
It's just not smart to take out more than you need - the interest is going to bite you down the road. It's important to note the only way to shed student loan debt is to (a) die or (b) become so disabled to not have a chance to earn money to pay off your debt. You can't discharge the debt in bankruptcy.

Great point! Plenty of people will always loan you money for all sorts of things...the problem is, you are paying interest on all those items. And especially since student loan debt does not easily go away, people need to be smart about what they buy, and taking out loans for things.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
No, I don't.

These days, computers are a necessity for college - a necessary tool - and for many jobs, especially if you are working from home, and are no longer a luxury.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.