Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjmff5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Okay I need some help. So I am trying to edit a screen shot with some text and changing the text itself. I am trying to use Gimp but am getting frustrated. I guess I don't know how to do it...
Is there another app I should try?
Essentially I am looking for a photoshop free app for macs. I just need to edit some text in a screen shot. So I want to white out the text thats there and put new text in its place.

Thanks!

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
If it isn't important to match the original text, you can quickly block out existing text and add new using Preview. No need to get any new software at all.

The old version of Skitch is also good for screen capture and annotations.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
You can also use OS X's built-in Preview app to add text over and image.

AppleCore77

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
Not an app, but didn't Adobe offer CS2 or 3 for free just recently? If so, you could use the full blown Photoshop albeit an old version.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Not an app, but didn't Adobe offer CS2 or 3 for free just recently? If so, you could use the full blown Photoshop albeit an old version.

I'd be surprised if they did, but at any rate CS3 was PowerPC code so would require Snow Leopard (or earlier) and would run slowly.

AppleCore77

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
I'd be surprised if they did, but at any rate CS3 was PowerPC code so would require Snow Leopard (or earlier) and would run slowly.

Actually it was CS2 and it wasn't meant to be free. Here's the article. But like you said, it would still require Snow Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.