Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spetznatz

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
It's not quite as epic as the elephant but for the Americans and nostalgic Brits, google Simon Groom, Blue Peter and Knockers. :)

Hah! Apparently, he knew exactly what he was doing when he said that... And, yes, the 'Advent Crown': 'only four more Blue Peters 'til Christmas'...

Last edited by a moderator:

Renzatic

Suspended
But the point trying to be made is if something isn't user repairable its crap design and using iFixit comments to back up their assertion. Also Kyle Wiens penned a letter to Ive complaining about Apple (in his opinion) not following Dieter Rams principles for good design. I guess we'll see if he pens a similar letter to Panos Panay over the Surface Pro design. Personally I think it's all much ado about nothing. I'm sure Apple and Microsoft aren't losing sleep over the ratings they get on iFixit. :)

You do have to admit that it would be nice if all these tablets could be self serviced though. At the very least, they could make it easy for those in the repair business to get into.

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
But the point trying to be made is if something isn't user repairable its crap design and using iFixit comments to back up their assertion. Also Kyle Wiens penned a letter to Ive complaining about Apple (in his opinion) not following Dieter Rams principles for good design. I guess we'll see if he pens a similar letter to Panos Panay over the Surface Pro design. Personally I think it's all much ado about nothing. I'm sure Apple and Microsoft aren't losing sleep over the ratings they get on iFixit. :)

I agree. If my iPad breaks, I go to an Apple store and they normally just replace it (free of charge), if they don't I toss it and buy a newer model. It's not like they're very expensive.

It's not like my TV, stereo, microwave, etc are user repairable either.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
<Yawn>

Gold Blue Peter? WTF? The guy is a friggin' KNIGHT fer chrissakes!

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
<Yawn>

You would be surprised in the UK you have more chance of getting a knighthood than getting a Gold Blue Peter - in the 50 years the show has been running they have only given out 1,000 gold badges. Prior winners include the Her Majesty the Queen, JK Rowling and David Beckam. For a designer like Jonny I have a sneaking suspicion this award was up there with his knighthood.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
<Yawn>

Easier to get a knighthood than a Gold Blue Peter badge. I wouldn't be surprised if this actually meant more to him.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
I remember that... It was the Susan Stranks / Jenny Hanley / Tony Bastaple / Mick Robinson era... Early seventies ... Or am I getting all confused...?

That would have been in my third year at junior school, so '74-75 time.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
You do have to admit that it would be nice if all these tablets could be self serviced though. At the very least, they could make it easy for those in the repair business to get into.

I guess I'm lucky because I've never had to have an iDevice repaired (don't own a Mac). But if I did I'd take it to an Apple store. That's why I have AppleCare. I just think its the future and iFixit will have to get over it.

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
BBC gold

Am I the only one who thinks Johnny should stick that BBC where the sun don't shine ;)

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Er yes. Because he is from the UK.
Certainly, but the poster I quoted made it sound like he only pronounced it "aluminium" because he was being presented a british TV award of sorts. Suggesting he would have pronounced it "aluminum" otherwise.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I dunno. If I kept having to buy a new iPad every year because they kept breaking, I'd probably opt for something a little more solid and well built.

There you go being logical again. At times logic doesn't go over well here.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
You can't buy gold Blue Peter badges.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gold-Blu...ctables_Badges_Patches_MJ&hash=item2c6bfedc38

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOVELTY-...ctables_Badges_Patches_MJ&hash=item337fbb5341

Ok, they're not genuine, but from a distance...

Being an Aussie, I only know Blue Peter via Doctor Who... (THANK-YOU Blue Peter for deciding to show the Hartnell regeneration!!!)

But obviously it's a pretty big deal, and it's great to see Ive accept the award.

C

champ01

That's why I have AppleCare.

You do understand that you pay extra because Apple doesn't care right?

The only reason why people buy AppleCare is because marketing works. Its profitable in America to sell these types of structures. In Europe you get 2 or 3 years but never the less lots of people don't know the laws that well so they also fall for Apple's marketing anyway. (many articles about this on MacRumors)

If we are really honest with ourselves we would come to the conclusion that one year warranties are a complete joke if products are well designed.
Paying extra to get 2 more years only shows companies can sell anything to almost everyone without them knowing they got ripped off.

HelveticaRoman

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
This will have American's scratching their heads, but to the Brits it doesn't come much better than a gold Blue Peter Badge (spoken in a John Noakes accent). He's finally arrIVEd!

Last edited:
S

syd430

Light blue shirt on light blue pants. Not what I would expect from one of the worlds foremost designers.

Anyway good on him on this award

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
You do understand that you pay extra because Apple doesn't care right?

The only reason why people buy AppleCare is because marketing works. Its profitable in America to sell these types of structures. In Europe you get 2 or 3 years but never the less lots of people don't know the laws that well so they also fall for Apple's marketing anyway. (many articles about this on MacRumors)

If we are really honest with ourselves we would come to the conclusion that one year warranties are a complete joke if products are well designed.
Paying extra to get 2 more years only shows companies can sell anything to almost everyone without them knowing they got ripped off.

Well, my imac's screen started blacking out about 1.5 years after I bought it. Thanks to Applecare, they sent people down to bring it back for servicing, and brought it back to my house. I think the servicing costs saved alone more than offsets whatever I spent on applecare.

And if Apple offered "free 3 year warranty", it simply means the costs are factored into the initial selling price. So either way, I don't see how we would be any better off.

4D4M

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2005
Broken Britain
GREAT POINT!!!

Some people when they hear "minimalist website" might think Google, but we know that when all the smart hip people like yourself hear "minimalist website" they think iphone....

Thanks, but I'm far too old to be hip. Were you bullied at school or something? My point was, instead of throwing sarcastic jibes and thinly veiled insults around, why not try to contribute something positive? Which is after all the underlying theme of this story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.