Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ystradgynlais

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
Ordered a new MacBook Air with the following configuration :

MacBook Air, 13-inch
1.8GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i5
8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage

Delivers around 8-11 Feb.

It won't be my main machine and I considered waiting for the refresh but it could be six months or more and I will be doing a lot of travelling over the next 12 months and needed the portability of the Air.

BigMacAttack1

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Last week I took the plunge and bought a refurbished MacBook Air from the Apple store. This will be my first Mac laptop after owning 2 iPods, an iPhone, and an iPad (for work). It should be here Thursday and I'm looking forward to learning lots and playing around on it and merging what I can with my iPhone and iPod.

I picked up the 2012 13" MBA with 2.0 GHz, 8GB RAM, and 256 GBHD and the i7 processor for $1449. Good deal? Seems like the refurbished may be the way to go? Basically brand new and whatever issue it had prior has already been fixed! :)

So, what do I need to know initially besides updating to Mountain Lion once I get the computer?

Violet1337

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
Last week I took the plunge and bought a refurbished MacBook Air from the Apple store. This will be my first Mac laptop after owning 2 iPods, an iPhone, and an iPad (for work). It should be here Thursday and I'm looking forward to learning lots and playing around on it and merging what I can with my iPhone and iPod.

I picked up the 2012 13" MBA with 2.0 GHz, 8GB RAM, and 256 GBHD and the i7 processor for $1449. Good deal? Seems like the refurbished may be the way to go? Basically brand new and whatever issue it had prior has already been fixed! :)

So, what do I need to know initially besides updating to Mountain Lion once I get the computer?

Congrats on purchasing an amazing piece of technology. If you haven't already read the information on Apple's refurbished items, you should know that they may present minor cosmetic imperfection, such as scratches, marks, discolouration, etc. on the actual product itself. That's probably the main/only point that you need to consider when purchasing a refurbished product. Other than that, substantial savings is the ideal benefit here. Enjoy!

Gav183

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Queensland
I was gonna get a new MBA and was considering buying a brand new one til someone spiked my memory of the Refurb Macs. I got exactly what I was after for 400 ish bucks less. Got an 11" 8Gb 256Gb SSD with i7 core. Delivered in 2 days after online purchase. LOVE it. Now I've got to get rid of the other machines and recoup some dosh.:)

Gav

BigMacAttack1

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013
Bellingham, WA
f you haven't already read the information on Apple's refurbished items, you should know that they may present minor cosmetic imperfection, such as scratches, marks, discolouration, etc. on the actual product itself.

Where did you read this? I couldn't find anything like that on Apple's site, but this review says that they come w/brand new outer shells and batteries:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33153_...-apple-product-choose-refurbished-every-time/

----------

Aah, I found the link:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/refurbfaq_popup

" As these refurbished products have been unpacked and manipulated, they might however exhibit some minor cosmetic imperfection, such as scratches, marks or discolorations."

I guess the new shells/batteries are only for iPads and iPods.

Well, hoping for the best!

Violet1337

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
Where did you read this? I couldn't find anything like that on Apple's site, but this review says that they come w/brand new outer shells and batteries:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33153_...-apple-product-choose-refurbished-every-time/

----------

Aah, I found the link:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/refurbfaq_popup

" As these refurbished products have been unpacked and manipulated, they might however exhibit some minor cosmetic imperfection, such as scratches, marks or discolorations."

I guess the new shells/batteries are only for iPads and iPods.

Well, hoping for the best!

Hahah, good on you! Sorry about the late reply, I've been busy. Oh, yes, please let me know what the product looks like once you've received it and whether the cosmetic imperfections are highly noticeable etc. Good luck to you! :)

BigMacAttack1

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Arrived yesterday afternoon and looks perfect. I have a lot to learn, but I'm enjoying the ride! My biggest challenge will be transferring my iTunes library (~30,000 or so songs) and reformatting the iPod & iPhone!

Violet1337

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
Arrived yesterday afternoon and looks perfect. I have a lot to learn, but I'm enjoying the ride! My biggest challenge will be transferring my iTunes library (~30,000 or so songs) and reformatting the iPod & iPhone!

That's wonderful news! Absolutely no signs of cosmetic imperfections? Wow, that's a lot of songs, hahah. Good luck with the long, strenuous process!

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
That's wonderful news! Absolutely no signs of cosmetic imperfections? Wow, that's a lot of songs, hahah. Good luck with the long, strenuous process!

Actually its unlikely to have any imperfections. You'll find that is a standard refurbished item disclaimer.

Refurb products are fully tested and any faulty items including body damage are replaced with new items

Captnroger

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
Arrived a couple of hours ago. i5 with 128gb SSD. I've owned computers since the Atari 800 was the rage, this is an excellent laptop. Glad I went 13 instead of 11, as this thing feels like a regular size 15" laptop.

I was rather surprised at how quick it is.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Made a trade with a family member from Philly. Trading my MBP + cash for a MBA that is BTOed. Both are in Fedexs hands right now.

Violet1337

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
Arrived a couple of hours ago. i5 with 128gb SSD. I've owned computers since the Atari 800 was the rage, this is an excellent laptop. Glad I went 13 instead of 11, as this thing feels like a regular size 15" laptop.

Well? Did it arrive in a white box or in an actual MacBook Air box from Apple?

naz-dream-boys

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012

nice one congrats:D

mojitochica

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2007
USA
I bought a maxed out refurb Macbook Air earlier this week, and the price dropped $270 yesterday. If you've purchased a refurb within the last 14 days, go check the price and call to get refunded the difference.

mrmiami247

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Just got a new MBA 13". Had a 2007 MBP and it's been long overdue to get something else. Can't wait to set it up and transfer my music and photos over!

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Just picked up a 2012 13" 8gb 256gb for $1200 on Craigslist. We'll seehow this thing goes

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
So I decided I wanted order an 11-inch Air to use for school a few weeks ago. After browsing eBay for a bit I came upon an auction for a 2011 model with a 240GB Aura SSD, 4GB of RAM, and the original 128GB SSD included as an external drive for the great price of $725 shipped, and I'm absolutely loving it so far! It blows my mind to think that it costs the same amount for a 64GB wifi iPad which isn't even close to as high in memory or power.

LEVENDIZ

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
Australia
11" MacBook Air

Just brought a MacBook Air 11" on Sunday, 2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB Flash Drive.

My first MacBook Air, its a nice difference when compared to my Mid '10 13" Pro.

Violet1337

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
All these posts about people with their 2012 MacBook Airs makes me want to buy one now but no! I mustn't give in. I'm waiting for the refresh. Come on! You can do it! >.<

LEVENDIZ

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
Australia
All these posts about people with their 2012 MacBook Airs makes me want to buy one now but no! I mustn't give in. I'm waiting for the refresh. Come on! You can do it! >.<

I was once told to buy it when you can, as soon as you can otherwise you'll be forever waiting for something new in life.

- true story.

Violet1337

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
I was once told to buy it when you can, as soon as you can otherwise you'll be forever waiting for something new in life.

- true story.

Hahah, I know that. As soon as the 2013 model is released, I'll be getting my hands on that one for sure. I wouldn't be able to wait any longer :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.