Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Is there any way to get back the old version?

I like the native side menus. I also really hate the new search for searching through your library, now it has this ugly annoying pop-up display. It used to work similar to Google Instant where it immediately displayed results letter by letter. Why did they change that?

Last edited:

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
California
I don't like it as well. Miss the side bar that they used to have. Found it much easier to use.

Wish we could go back.
Like adam said, you can turn it back on.
On Windows, hit Alt on the keyboard, View -> Show Sidebar.

Not exactly sure about the steps for OSX, but they should be similar.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
And for search, click on the magnifying glass and remove the checkmark on "Search entire library". Voilà! Back to old iTunes.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Thanks for that :)

Did not know you could do that! iTunes is much better now

I love the new iTunes especially the new miniplayer. But without those tweaks to the side bar and search it was pretty crappy though.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
Is there any way to get back the old version?

I like the native side menus. I also really hate the new search for searching through your library, now it has this ugly annoying pop-up display. It used to work similar to Google Instant where it immediately displayed results letter by letter. Why did they change that?

I love the new iTunes. The old one was way too complicated and the new one is simple, as it should be.

Apple finally answered my prayers. They really are gods.:apple:

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
You know, it took me all of 2 minutes after installing it to get it back to how it looked before. It's not that hard...

I don't believe album artwork in the bottom left hand box is available in song view like in pre iTunes 11 versions so you can't download the artwork from Apple and embed it in the file like before, but need to do a separate google image search. Oh and you can't get a browser view in the devices music list.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Now that I just tweaked the preferences and found that I could turn on the side bar like I used to have and a few other settings its not so bad. What I still hate about iTunes is the bloated size of the app, that you MUST update it to get support for newer devices when maybe you don't want to, but Apple forces you to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.