Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Awesome! Can't wait for my macbook air 2013 :)

what make you think Apple will produce a quality mba? :confused:

----------

I just love ridiculous posts like this. Gotta love MR for thinking they are Apple's only customers. :rolleyes:. Did it ever occur to anyone here that the majority of Apple's customers, maybe, just maybe, are normal everyday people that aren't geeks, they don't give a rats butt about a 5400rpm drive or the GPU, or the SSD vs. the Fusion drive or the fact that screen is molded together? PUULLEESE! Get over yourselves. Maybe these people decided to upgrade to the 27". Oh yeah, that's a thought? :p. I'll bet more people that don't frequent here telling of all their returns/exchanges are getting work done on their iMacs. ;)

i'm a regular consumer...and I do care.:)

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
The new iMacs are great!

You should use one before you try to criticize something that you have not used.

Er, where did I say I hadn't used them? They look great and the top end 27" is undoubtedly an amazing machine with the GPU upgrade. I was only talking about the hard drives.

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Maybe so, but I don't think It's right for Apple to forget It's pro or creative customers, we want the ability to make upgrades down the line. It would have been wise for Apple to consider both category of users.

Apple will have to add another disclaimer like they had to with the "do not eat iPod Shuffle" warning.

"Thinness of new iMac will not effect the thinness of user."

actually, it may contribute to the thickness of the user .

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
IMO most 21" buyers won't care their iMac has a 'slow' 5400 drive as many will be coming from laptops with similar. I think the 21" is prefect for anyone moving from a laptop but they want a bitter screen for their money.

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Looked at the new beautifully thin iMacs for my next computer for photography work in Lightroom. But I don't like the fact they only go up to an i5. I think I've settled on the base model MacBook Pro with Retina Display 15" with 16GB of RAM. Very powerful laptop...I think I'd like to move away from a fixed desktop setup. I can always get a Cinema Display if I needed extra screen estate.

I've got a late 2012 21.5" iMac with an I7. You need to choose the better option and choose the option for the I7.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Haha, so am I, but I consider the people (at least me) that frequent tech forums to not be of the "normal everyday" type in terms of computer-buying consumers. For example, I don't read nor post on car forums and when I make my next car purchase I won't be lurking forums. I never have had to and I've always chosen a good quality car by means of other types of research. Once you go on a forum you get locked into people crying and nitpicking over a scratch that they MAY have done on their own but didn't realize it. Then they tell the forums that the manufacturer sends out faulty merchandize all scratched up. Takes the fun out of buying anything these days. Go figure. ;)

snipper

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2004
IMO most 21" buyers won't care their iMac has a 'slow' 5400 drive as many will be coming from laptops with similar.

I've seen comparisons with 5400 rpm hd's from 1999 in this forum. Some people seem to believe the rpm is the only property that determines the speed of a hard drive. It's not.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
Apple's turning computers into appliances. Not always a big problem for the average consumer, but as a person that built PC's in the late 70's and 80's, worked on apple II's with breadboxes and external drives daisy chained together to make a BBS, I am saddened to see them edge the "pro" or the 'geek" out. I love my rMBP, but it does bug me that I can't update it or take it apart.

I would get one of these for the mrs., but not for me, unless I could buy one totally maxed out.

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
I've seen comparisons with 5400 rpm hd's from 1999 in this forum. Some people seem to believe the rpm is the only property that determines the speed of a hard drive. It's not.

It is important to not get caught up in the "5400 RPM" spec.

Sometimes, slower is faster. Believe it or not, today’s 5400RPM drives are even faster than 7200RPM drives from a just few years ago:

http://blog.macsales.com/11825-when-slower-is-actually-faster

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Obviously the jump from 5400rpm to SSD is huge but is the jump from 5400 to 7200 that big? I've always used a 5400rpm drive but maybe I've been missing out.
No. It's not...but it's been addressed

[/COLOR]

A regular consumer doesn't have almost 400 posts on an enthusiast's forum. My mom, for instance...she has an iMac. She doesn't know the difference between hard drive speeds or the benefits of an SSD. She hasn't ever heard of macrumors either;)

I've got three younger brothers. All own Macs, none of them read about them on MR.

Think universally. We are a very select (geeky) breed. There aren't many of us in the grand scheme of things.

J

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
It is important to not get caught up in the "5400 RPM" spec.

Sometimes, slower is faster. Believe it or not, today’s 5400RPM drives are even faster than 7200RPM drives from a just few years ago:

http://blog.macsales.com/11825-when-slower-is-actually-faster

A big part of the Apple computer experience is NOT getting caught up in specification figures that are really meaningless in real world applications. That's what Windows machine users do, argue about specs.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I just love ridiculous posts like this. Gotta love MR for thinking they are Apple's only customers. :rolleyes:. Did it ever occur to anyone here that the majority of Apple's customers, maybe, just maybe, are normal everyday people that aren't geeks, they don't give a rats butt about a 5400rpm drive or the GPU, or the SSD vs. the Fusion drive or the fact that screen is molded together? PUULLEESE! Get over yourselves. Maybe these people decided to upgrade to the 27". Oh yeah, that's a thought? :p. I'll bet more people that don't frequent here telling of all their returns/exchanges are getting work done on their iMacs. ;)

SSD really is a huge upgrade though... one of the most user noticeable gains in recent computing imo, but I hear you.

----------

A big part of the Apple computer experience is NOT getting caught up in specification figures that are really meaningless in real world applications. That's what Windows machine users do, argue about specs.

again, SSD is a dramatic upgrade though :)

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I personally see no reason to upgrade to the "latest". I'm gonna throw a 500GB SSD in my 2011 and call it a day. That said the guy at work with the 2012 doesn't know he can't take it appart and frankly doesn't wont or need too. As for me who knows what my next MAC will be right now I don't need anything new.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Looked at the new beautifully thin iMacs for my next computer for photography work in Lightroom. But I don't like the fact they only go up to an i5. I think I've settled on the base model MacBook Pro with Retina Display 15" with 16GB of RAM. Very powerful laptop...I think I'd like to move away from a fixed desktop setup. I can always get a Cinema Display if I needed extra screen estate.

And what makes you think you would get more power from the slower clocked i7 of the MBP then from the higher clocked i5 of the iMac?
Granted you get HT with the i7 but that only accounts for 20% performance increase at best with optimized software. The i5 will always be faster because it has a higher clock.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
Can you name some real world applications in which specification figures are really meaningless?

Why people buy Mac Pro :confused:

Adam22

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
I think this is because ppl returned their 21" iMacs when they found out that apple was allowing for fusion drive upgrades

----------

The 27" goes up to i7

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
People realized that a desktop being "thinner and lighter" only mattered when they first took it out of the box.

Come on, people don't want desktop class cpu's and gpus or fast large 3.5" hard drives in their big screen DESKTOP computers. ;)

Timmy is thinking way ahead, being thinner is a major advantage that saves a lot of trouble when you realize what a piece of crap the iMac is and need to take it back to buy a real computer to turn into a hackintosh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.