Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Better off getting the Iphone 5 off contract for $300 more and getting a plan with T-Mobile.

I have 3 lines with T-mobile for $105 a month getting unlimited Data with 2GB high speed (which i have not been able to reach since i mainly use it for web browsing and email).

That is the same price that i used to play for three Non-Smartphones (i believe they are called feature phones) with no internet from MetroPCS.

So for only $300 more i have an iphone 5 with unlimited data for the monthly rate i paid with metro for no internet and a crappy phone.

rboy505

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2012
Give me a break. Apple markets the iPod as a media/game player so that's why I refered to it as such. That's what iPods are and have always been. Media players.

Your words, not Apple's, regrading the Touch. Not reflective of their marketing of it at all. If you can even find the phrase "media player" on the Apple site on the Touch page let me know.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Your words, not Apple's, regrading the Touch. Not reflective of their marketing of it at all. If you can even find the phrase "media player" on the Apple site on the Touch page let me know.

Apple markets it as a.music and video player and game player. Which can be inferred a media player. Regardless, this whole argument is stupid. Someone got all defensive because I called an iPod a media player (god forbid) and because he doesn't want or need a data plan. Use your iPod how you want. The touch is capable of doing much more than just consume media. Ive used my devices as a PDA for 4 years. Does that not make them a media player? No. You can browse the web and play movies on a ps3. does that mean its not a game console? No. Learn what's worth arguing over.

RichyB

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2010
I got mine as a companion to my 16gb iPhone because the iPhone battery barely lasts a day. Plus in most places I go I get the free sky cloud Internet so it's perfect for a touch.

pr0230

Suspended
Feb 7, 2013
Yes

It is a poor mans Iphone for me... I use Google Voice with it and
it works just fine for me as a Phone...

sexiewasd

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Back in Your Head
Definitely not the poor-man's iPhone. If you are poor not to afford an iPhone, you wouldn't spend money on an advanced mp3-player.

I'd say it is a portal device - i.e. what brings adolescents and folk who are not interested in the iPhone to Apple products. Once you got the Touch, you definitely want to upgrade to an iPad or even an iPhone after that. Tried this on me - worked like a charm - Apple know their ways...

That's funny, I bought a touch and it didn't make me want an iPad, it was buying a nexus 7 that made me want an iPad.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I kinda disagree with most of the posters above. I don't know anyone that does this, but I think you can use the iPod Touch with Skype or some other VoIP service that basically makes it into a phone (only on wifi though).

I have read on other threads that people use their 3G/4G/LTE iPads (with Skype or whatever) as their primary phones. Saves on the $80+ monthly bills. So yeah, I think you could say the 4G/LTE iPad = poor man's iPhone.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
I don't think the Ipod touch is an Iphone without the phone nor it's a poor man's choice.

The ipod touch is like the rolls royce of the ipods, resembling an iphone.

the price of an ipod touch is way too high to be
* an impulse purchase
* an mp3 player
* a cheap smartphone

----------

I got mine as a companion to my 16gb iPhone because the iPhone battery barely lasts a day. Plus in most places I go I get the free sky cloud Internet so it's perfect for a touch.

this is the exact same reason I want to buy one myself :)
ipod touch: put all the music, games and apps on it.
iphone: call, gps, work related, mail messages

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I kinda disagree with most of the posters above. I don't know anyone that does this, but I think you can use the iPod Touch with Skype or some other VoIP service that basically makes it into a phone (only on wifi though).

I have read on other threads that people use their 3G/4G/LTE iPads (with Skype or whatever) as their primary phones. Saves on the $80+ monthly bills. So yeah, I think you could say the 4G/LTE iPad = poor man's iPhone.

Hello, I'm someone who does this. So now you know someone. Prior to iPad Mini with LTE, I used an iPod touch as a "poor man's iPhone". VOIP apps like Skype, Talkatone, etc paired with either device is a great alternative to $100/month iPhone service plans with only a modest tradeoff in the anytime/anywhere convenience of an actual iPhone. In my own case, the vast majority of the time, I'm around available wifi, so it "just works".

Where it comes up short is when I'm away from wifi (though if I really need to take/make a call in such scenarios, I can always turn on the LTE in the iPad Mini for a one-time, much cheaper cost... or I could turn on the mifi device to cover this when iPod Touch was the option but I rarely have to do that), or when I'd like to make/take a call in motion such as riding around in a car.

As previously offered, if one doesn't feel the need to immediately send/receive the "what R U doin?" texts and/or calls (if the phone-side communications can wait until you are in a wifi zone by tapping options like voice mail and just queing up text messages), this is a great way to go. When I've had a "real" cell phone in the past, I've generally had it turned off much of the time to keep the interruptions of calls/texts manageable, so this is almost no different for my purposes.

iPad Mini with LTE + Skype + Talkatone + Earbuds with Microphone is an excellent "poor man's iPhone". The LTE piece can be used only when absolutely needed and for only a fraction of a single month's iPhone cell service toll. To accomplish the same with an iPod Touch, it takes the same kinds of apps, the same earbuds + mic and maybe a mifi device with on-demand 4G/3G for similar "emergency" (away from wifi and need to take/make a call) scenarios. Either way, the total cost is much, MUCH less than going the 2-year-contract way. For those who are generally in a wifi zone much of their day, you can probably avoid ever using any 3G/4G and thus your monthly toll can stay at $0. Should you have an emergency situation and no wifi can be found, turning on 3G/4G for that situation can be as little as $20 ONE TIME.

Is this for everyone? No. If you need to receive "what R U doin?" texts immediately when they are sent, this isn't for you unless you are always in a wifi zone. If you need to take and make calls anytime/anywhere, this is also not for you unless your "anywheres" are always in wifi zones. If $100/month for service whether you really need it or not is no big deal to you, then that $100/month does buy anytime/anywhere 24/7 convenience even in motion. If you are a "keep up with Joneses" type, obviously an iPhone is not the same as an iPod or iPad (but those types usually have up to all 3 anyway... and must upgrade to the latest versions even if the old version does everything they need... and gripe when the outer shell doesn’t look different enough so that it is obvious to anyone else that they have the latest version).

For everyone else, AT&T, Verizon, etc appreciates your $100/month payments even if an alternative like an iPod or iPad could cover your needs about as well.

Last edited:

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hello, I'm someone who does this. So now you know someone. Prior to iPad Mini with LTE, I used an iPod touch as a "poor man's iPhone". VOIP apps like Skype, Talkatone, etc paired with either device is a great alternative to $100/month iPhone service plans with only a modest tradeoff in the anytime/anywhere convenience of an actual iPhone. In my own case, the vast majority of the time, I'm around available wifi, so it "just works".

Where it comes up short is when I'm away from wifi (though if I really need to take/make a call in such scenarios, I can always turn on the LTE in the iPad Mini for a one-time, much cheaper cost... or I could turn on the mifi device to cover this when iPod Touch was the option but I rarely have to do that), or when I'd like to make/take a call in motion such as riding around in a car.

As previously offered, if one doesn't feel the need to immediately send/receive the "what R U doin?" texts and/or calls (if the phone-side communications can wait until you are in a wifi zone by tapping options like voice mail and just queing up text messages), this is a great way to go. When I've had a "real" cell phone in the past, I've generally had it turned off much of the time to keep the interruptions of calls/texts manageable, so this is almost no different for my purposes.

iPad Mini with LTE + Skype + Talkatone + Earbuds with Microphone is an excellent "poor man's iPhone". The LTE piece can be used only when absolutely needed and for only a fraction of a single month's iPhone cell service toll. To accomplish the same with an iPod Touch, it takes the same kinds of apps, the same earbuds + mic and maybe a mifi device with on-demand 4G/3G for similar "emergency" (away from wifi and need to take/make a call) scenarios. Either way, the total cost is much, MUCH less than going the 2-year-contract way. For those who are generally in a wifi zone much of their day, you can probably avoid ever using any 3G/4G and thus your monthly toll can stay at $0. Should you have an emergency situation and no wifi can be found, turning on 3G/4G for that situation can be as little as $20 ONE TIME.

Is this for everyone? No. If you need to receive "what R U doin?" texts immediately when they are sent, this isn't for you unless you are always in a wifi zone. If you need to take and make calls anytime/anywhere, this is also not for you unless your "anywheres" are always in wifi zones. If $100/month for service whether you really need it or not is no big deal to you, then that $100/month does buy anytime/anywhere 24/7 convenience even in motion. If you are a "keep up with Joneses" type, obviously an iPhone is not the same as an iPod or iPad (but those types usually have up to all 3 anyway... and must upgrade to the latest versions even if the old version does everything they need... and gripe when the outer shell doesn’t look different enough so that it is obvious to anyone else that they have the latest version).

For everyone else, AT&T, Verizon, etc appreciates your $100/month payments even if an alternative like an iPod or iPad could cover your needs about as well.
Oh nice, proof that it can work quite well for some people. Thanks for the info :)

EnderStiggin

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Actually no, the 5th Generation iPod touch is the thinking man's iPhone 5! Up here in Canada at least.

I'll let you all in on a little secret. Well it's not really a secret, just some cost of ownership thinking instead of initial purchase concern.

For simplicity, no taxes or fees are included.

Here in Canada, a mobile hotspot will cost you $50 for the device and $65 a month for 5GB of data, on a two year contract, from any major carrier.

An iPad mini w/LTE on all of those same carriers, only carries a fee of $35 per month for 5GB of data, month to month, contract free.

So, check this out.

iPod Touch 5th Gen.
$299
Mobile Hotspot @ $50 and 24 months of contract service
$1560
=1949.00

iPod touch 5th Gen.
$299
iPad Mini w/LTE
$459
24 Months of Non Contract Service
$840
=$1598.00

You should now be able to see why I went this route. The initial investment is higher, but if you play the long game you save a ton of cash and still have an iPad mini w/LTE.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
Better off getting the Iphone 5 off contract for $300 more and getting a plan with T-Mobile.

I have 3 lines with T-mobile for $105 a month getting unlimited Data with 2GB high speed (which i have not been able to reach since i mainly use it for web browsing and email).

That is the same price that i used to play for three Non-Smartphones (i believe they are called feature phones) with no internet from MetroPCS.

So for only $300 more i have an iphone 5 with unlimited data for the monthly rate i paid with metro for no internet and a crappy phone.

Here in Scotland any phone - or any sim card since our phones are unlocked - is just £5 a month for unlimited 3.5/4G data on pay as you go on a choice of networks. No-one I know has a contract - those things are dead, just buy the phone upfront.

I hook up my Nexus 7, my netbook and my iPod Touch 5g to my phone's hotspot - download whatever I want at any time and just pay £5 a month. Yesterday I uploaded 60Gbs of music in just 7 hours to Google Music through my crappy Sony phone.

Last edited:

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
$100/month my ass. If you're using that as your justification, that's your problem. Do people pay it? Sure. Is it mandatory? No.

Virgin Mobile

$35/month. 300 minutes, unlimited texts and data, carries iPhone

Straight Talk.

$45/month, unlimited text, calling and 2gb soft cap. carries iPhone.

No contract.

There's a slew of others that don't carry the iPhone but still have similar prices to those listed above.

Is this for everyone? No. If you need to receive "what R U doin?" texts immediately when they are sent, this isn't for you

Some people actually use their phones for more than "what R U doin" texts. You know, like needing to be contacted for work from anywhere, calls from family and other silly stuff like that :rolleyes:.

"what? The email server went down? Sorry, I didn't get your call. I didn't have any free wifi."

"Oh. You broke down and needed a ride? Sorry, I was getting groceries and didn't have any wifi"

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Here in Scotland any phone - or any sim card since our phones are unlocked - is just £5 a month for unlimited 3.5/4G data on pay as you go on a choice of networks. No-one I know has a contract - those things are dead, just buy the phone upfront.

I hook up my Nexus 7, my netbook and my iPod Touch 5g to my phone's hotspot - download whatever I want at any time and just pay £5 a month. Yesterday I uploaded 60Gbs of music in just 7 hours to Google Music through my crappy Sony phone.

That's a great price, T-Mobile here in the U.S will stop subsidizing phones with in a couple of months but I doubt the bill will ever get that cheap, corporations here are too greedy. I have a good plan though with 3 lines for $105 so $35 a line on T-mobile. I believe that would be £67 total and £23 per line in British pounds. So your price is amazing.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
I would say the ipod touch gen 5 is the smart man's iPhone. Depending on how much one really needs an actual phone. I don't need or want a phone, I have a nokia 8210 for the occasional call.

As far as I can tell if I am at home in my wi fi environment then it is a phone anyway and likewise anytime I'm in a hotspot.

I had a look at an iPhone 5 yesterday for comparison and I much prefer the thinner smoother ipod touch.

I have a 1st generation airport express and was amazed to discover that it works perfectly with my Touch with every app, including the webster dictionary. So I can use my big ass KRK VXT6 speakers wirelessly while holding this tiny screen close enough for it to be no different to watching my 27" imac with huge sound.

And after buying it it cost $0 to operate. I wouldn't swap it for an iphone even at no cost.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I'm mistaken about the 4G - it's just 3 or 3.5G And that's just T-Mobile or Giff-Gaff (there could be others).

But it's still pretty fast in cities. You can also get bundles that allow you some voice and texts for around £10 with some firms like Giff-Gaff that also offer the unlimited data.

It does seem crazy cheap compared with North America, but you wouldn't want to pay our Gas prices ;)

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Some people actually use their phones for more than "what R U doin" texts. You know, like needing to be contacted for work from anywhere, calls from family and other silly stuff like that :rolleyes:.

"what? The email server went down? Sorry, I didn't get your call. I didn't have any free wifi."

"Oh. You broke down and needed a ride? Sorry, I was getting groceries and didn't have any wifi"

I'm not attacking those that need an actual iPhone- just pointing out that not everyone does. If you do, then there's nothing wrong with having an iPhone and I didn't say anything to the contrary. But for those that don't need a continuous connection for calls or texts- like me for instance- an iPod can be a great alternative that costs a whole lot less without the monthly service plans.

This thread is about can an iPod be a poor man's iPhone. Yes it can with the limitations I've communicated. If a person can't live with those limitations, they need to cough it up for a full iPhone and similar (which is probably not for a "poor man" thinking through this issue).

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I think an out of contract iPhone or other phone would make more sense. You can use the same apps as the iPod and actually hold the device to your ear and not have to worry about headphones and Bluetooth mics. While still using Google voice and other VoIP apps. The iPod isn't a phone and isn't intended on being used as such regardless if it works or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.