Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Ok, so I finally got this case after pre-ordering it 2 months ago when it was announced. I had the initial version of this case when it came out for the iPhone 4 and returned it at that time for a refund from the company due to some poor build quality issues and the fact that at that time, the way the clasp was designed, it came in contact with the metal band of the phone and would actually scuff it. At the time their " fix" was to basically put a piece of tape on the metal bezel of the phone to cover the spot. Not so great...

Fast forward to this case. Now I only got it yesterday, so I have not had a lot of time with it, but wanted to give some first impressions.

This case is very well designed. It has been slimmed down from the iPhone 4/4S version despite what some people thought when seeing some of the pictures that Graft posted of this case. It is in keeping with the slimmer profile of the iPhone 5, which is nice. I got the black soft touch case with the matte clasp. Looks very classy and feels great in the hand. Only time will tell though how well the matte finish holds up as I am always leery about that stuff chipping and/or peeling up.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360850157.669940.jpg

As to the buttons, these are very likely done. The tactile feedback is great on both the power button as well as the volume rocker. A nice audible click is made with each press, just like the naked iPhone buttons do. I am really glad they added the metal rocker button for the volume keys in this addition. It is a really nice touch and makes the case more classy in my opinions.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360850305.828223.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360850317.901028.jpg

As to the cutouts, they are well done and VERY precise. And this is where there is a drawback to this case. The cutouts for the headphones as well as the lightening cable are so precise, that I think you would have difficulty using cables or headphones other than Apples. While I do not have one, I am pretty certain that there would be no way this would be compatible with the 30 pin to lightening adapter either. Other headphones would work, but would need to have connections similar in size to Apple's.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360850515.732134.jpg

The backplate that this comes with is nice. It fits right in with the rest of the case. One knock though I would say is how big they made the camera cutout. I really don't understand why so many case companies are doing this now. It does not need to be so big people! The flash isn't all that bright! Man. Since I pre-ordered, I will also get the credit card back plate sent to me for free, but it is not available just yet so I will have to wait on that one.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360850843.760261.jpg

Then of course there is the clasp. This is just beautiful. I loved the design of the old one, and this one is basically just the same. The one really nice thing now though is that there is no spot where the clasp comes into contact with the phone's bezel. They changes the design to where there is now plastic molded into the case into the spot where the clasp previously came into contact with the phone. (And this is actually something Graft did a while back when they redesigned the original case as well.)

So all in all, this is a really classy looking case that is well designed and in my opinion does not take away from the design of the iPhone 5. I think it actually enhances it in a way. For 50$ it is not the cheapest case out there, but well priced for what it is.

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth
Looks great! I was gonna give them a try but my wife has this on her 4s and it has gotten loose and creaky

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Mine just showed up and I also think it looks great. I'm not using the backplate as I think it looks great without it and I like to see the phone. If they came out with a clear one I'd prob put that on but the extra space supplied for the backplate gives it sweet L.O.T design. Hinge has always looked nice and doesn't appear to be a scratching issue... I however use edge protection (as anyone wanting to protect their phone should) so scratching wouldn't be an issue anyway. Volume button(s) is also pretty sweet looking and feels great.

It also works no issues with a glass screen protector, I know that was one of the complaints about the i4/s version. I have the PURE and it shows no signs of lifting.

Someone should try this with a trunket skin! Would look sick!
Gonna order the orange/blood red and see how it looks.

Last edited:

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
It amazes me that these companies still use awkward camera cutouts

Looks awful when you can see the aluminum part of the phone
Spigen, Switcheasy, and Incipio get it right

Personal opinion of course ;)

Robby29

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
Mine just showed up and I also think it looks great. I'm not using the backplate as I think it looks great without it and I like to see the phone. If they came out with a clear one I'd prob put that on but the extra space supplied for the backplate gives it sweet L.O.T design. Hinge has always looked nice and doesn't appear to be a scratching issue... I however use edge protection (as anyone wanting to protect their phone should) so scratching wouldn't be an issue anyway. Volume button(s) is also pretty sweet looking and feels great.

It also works no issues with a glass screen protector, I know that was one of the complaints about the i4/s version. I have the PURE and it shows no signs of lifting.

Gonna order the orange/blood red and see how it looks.

I also have this case n not using the backplate. It seems much better n wayyyy lighter lol.. Can't wait for u to get that trunket skin!

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth
It amazes me that these companies still use awkward camera cutouts

Looks awful when you can see the aluminum part of the phone
Spigen, Switcheasy, and Incipio get it right

Personal opinion of course ;)

Totally agree!

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
Love my case! Fits the Atelier Pall perfectly.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360990305.027259.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360990305.027259.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 283

junebug1

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
NE Ohio
Got mine today and have nothing but good things to report. Much better quality than the initial versions of the predecessor. Fit is perfect. Can't wait for the credit card insert. Rocker buttons are solid. Hinge doesn't appear to scratch like previous ones. All in all a great case that is worthy of the price.

Also just to let everyone know - the case works flawlessly with Spigen Glas.tr assuming you install it correctly (ie. aligned straight)

dwa2011

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
Northwest Atlanta
Did you get the "bumper" version?

Just to clear up this, every Graft Concepts Leverage is both a bumper case and a full case. The back plate is a nice hard plastic that you can choose to have in or not. Its a nice way to change things up. Hope this helps out!

Oh, and I just got my Leverage in the mail and I can not believe that I am saying this, but it is better than the Leverage for the iPhone 4/4S! I love it. If you guys have any questions, send them my way. I will be giving away a white/chrome case eventually along with a complete review!

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
one classy case!

Just arrived today. It is pretty impressive. Kind of a retro look. Looking forward to the credit card back too.

Interest to see if anyone reports scratches. Looks like only plastic will contact the phone, even under the rocker for the volume. Any of you take yours off yet to check for scratches?

hmm, I have the black--wonder how the white Leverage would look on the black iphone . . .

Last edited:

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
Oh nice. That Atelier Pall case is on my list. I have been eyeing it for months. So this case fits right into there with no problems? Not too tight?

It's a tight fit. I feel is best because the phone won't slip out of the Atelier pouch. No problems for me, I just give the sides a little squeeze and out it comes.

----------

Did you get the "bumper" version?

Yes I got the bumper version of the Alteier.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Just arrived today. It is pretty impressive. Kind of a retro look. Looking forward to the credit card back too.

Interest to see if anyone reports scratches. Looks like only plastic will contact the phone, even under the rocker for the volume. Any of you take yours off yet to check for scratches?

hmm, I have the black--wonder how the white Leverage would look on the black iphone . . .

I took mine off after it being on for a few days. No problems so far.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
I also have this case n not using the backplate. It seems much better n wayyyy lighter lol.. Can't wait for u to get that trunket skin!

boom goes the dynamite!

I wanted to shoot some pics so simply laid it on the back and thought there would be a problem.... it didn't fit within the case. No prob, pop it open, lay it down, close it up and wham! It's held in place as the regular/credit card back would be. I have blown down the camera hole and have tried to lift with a finger nail and have not been able to do so... I believe it will stay as placed. I think it looks freaking sweet! Now that I know I won't have to use the adhesive I think I'll order the orange.
I did go back and make sure it was a bit more secure so it's not poking up at the bottom like in the pic on the R.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 215
  • photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    425.9 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

Robby29

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
boom goes the dynamite!

I wanted to shoot some pics so simply laid it on the back and thought there would be a problem.... it didn't fit within the case. No prob, pop it open, lay it down, close it up and wham! It's held in place as the regular/credit card back would be. I have blown down the camera hole and have tried to lift with a finger nail and have not been able to do so... I believe it will stay as placed. I think it looks freaking sweet! Now that I know I won't have to use the adhesive I think I'll order the orange.
I did go back and make sure it was a bit more secure so it's not poking up at the bottom like in the pic on the R.

LOOKS GOOD! so your saying you can place the backplate without using the adhesive it comes with? looks like i would be ordering one!

----------

Here's one with a black Trunket :)

thats sexy!!!

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Here's one with a black Trunket

Is that yours? Did you use the adhesive? Looks very nice in black.

I wonder if this trick for the iphone 4 work the same for the iPhone 5 graft concept
What I don't like about that one is how the wood is so high above the case. I guess that would be typical with any application that didn't involve a lipped case.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.