Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Ok, here is what happened. I had my MacBook Air closed on one of the chairs in my dining room table. My son then spilled his almost full cup of milk and almost all the contents fell on my poor unsuspecting MBA. Now since the lid was closed it doesn't seem like any got "into" the machine, but to be on the safe side, I dried it and shut off the computer completely (it was in sleep mode) and have with the lid open and face down.

Am I freaking out over nothing? I mean the top lid was closed, or should I be doing more? How long should I keep it off? And if some of the milk did get in there, would it have any long term effects?

Thanks.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I would inspect closely with a loupe, around the outermost keys, shine a strong light so hopefully u can see a white liquid or dried film of something and prepare to soak/clean with q-tip. Also around the exhaust opening.

Probly OK.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
Ok, here is what happened. I had my MacBook Air closed on one of the chairs in my dining room table. My son then spilled his almost full cup of milk and almost all the contents fell on my poor unsuspecting MBA. Now since the lid was closed it doesn't seem like any got "into" the machine, but to be on the safe side, I dried it and shut off the computer completely (it was in sleep mode) and have with the lid open and face down.

Am I freaking out over nothing? I mean the top lid was closed, or should I be doing more? How long should I keep it off? And if some of the milk did get in there, would it have any long term effects?

Thanks.

Have your cat check it out. If your cat isn't interested, you're probably good... :D

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Yikes that's a dangerous one.

But if it really did just spill ONLY on the top lid it should be fine. But I imagine with almost a full glass of milk that it trickled down into the seams somewhere.

The sugar in milk can supposedly degrade the materials over time and you won't notice the effects right away so just keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Have your cat check it out. If your cat isn't interested, you're probably good... :D

Not all cats like milk. Mine don't...

i'd try and tip it up so that any that did get in drains out. If nothing comes out or looks like it got in, i'd say you're pretty safe. With the lid closed I doubt any got in.

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
The sugar in milk can supposedly degrade the materials over time and you won't notice the effects right away so just keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary

I have seen this repeated over and over, but that is simply not how it works. Sugars are not the problem at all, acidic materials are. Also, even then, the real issue is moisture causing a short between traces and components on the PCB.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Well, I guess everything is fine. Some of the milk made its way to just outside the keyboard and I didn't notice any milk go down the back hinge side. Just turned it on and everything seems normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.