Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kikima

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2013
Richmond, VA
I read the Crackberry forums and that kind of rhetoric is pervasive there. There is a minority who are realistic and take the hyperbolic BB10 IS SELLING OUT ERRWHERE chatter with a grain of salt, but mostly it's comments like the OP posted. BB10 is still lacking in so many areas it's just not as innovative as they think it is. If it took them 3 years to come to market, how long will it take BB to release new iterations?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
3 Reasons Why You Would Be Crazy To Buy The iPad Mini

I'm trying to figure out what Mr Michael Li does for a living. Seems to work for RBC. His articles are pretty much uninformed BB fanboy rubbish.
http://www.thegadgetmasters.com/2012/11/01/3-reasons-why-you-would-be-stupid-to-buy-the-ipad-mini/
The iPad Mini has specs that are comparable to the BlackBerry PlayBook in most areas. The PlayBook actually has better hardware (camera and RAM) in areas that the two tablets differ, and provides a saving of $180.

Aren't BB selling the PlayBook at below cost?

Apple’s New 4th Generation iPad: A Story of Corporate Greed Gone Wild
Apple-Greed-Quote1.jpg

Okey dokey.

Last edited:

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I want as many different phones and if I can be frank, as many NON-Android operating systems out there. If Android garners Windows like marketshare, I feel we will see mobile innovation stagnate. Let's have 3 or 4 different operating systems all relatively keeping each other on their toes. We don't need one dominate mobile operating system no good will come of that.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
3 Reasons Why the New iPad Will Be Dead on Arrival (DOA)

http://www.thegadgetmasters.com/2012/03/11/3-reasons-why-the-new-ipad-will-be-dead-on-arrival-doa/
1) New iPad Cannot Compete with Kindle Fire and BlackBerry PlayBook

Wrong.

----------

I want as many different phones and if I can be frank, as many NON-Android operating systems out there. If Android garners Windows like marketshare, I feel we will see mobile innovation stagnate. Let's have 3 or 4 different operating systems all relatively keeping each other on their toes. We don't need one dominate mobile operating system no good will come of that.

I'm not knocking BB, it just seems that Mr Li's predictions and articles are pure hyperbole. Perhaps it's a comedy site?

e.g.
The increase in weight of the device from 1.33 pounds to 1.44-1.46 pounds only worsens the problem. Thus, the tablet can only be comfortably used when the user is sitting on a couch.

Seems a weight increase of .11 pounds means scrawny iPad users will have to sit on a couch.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Hey, Someone has to have faith in the company. Doesn't change the big picture but nothing wrong with supporting an underdog. ;)

blueroom

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I read the Crackberry forums and that kind of rhetoric is pervasive there. There is a minority who are realistic and take the hyperbolic BB10 IS SELLING OUT ERRWHERE chatter with a grain of salt, but mostly it's comments like the OP posted. BB10 is still lacking in so many areas it's just not as innovative as they think it is. If it took them 3 years to come to market, how long will it take BB to release new iterations?

I can't fathom why they didn't put out BB10 for the PlayBook already. Seems June 2013 (or never is my guess). BB has the worst OS fragmentation in the industry.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
After seeing BB10 some week ago, I think they have nothing to offer of value in the smartphone market. It's unfortunately too late for them, and they will fade away in a year or two.

S

syd430

"CFA level II candidate" lol. Level I is piss easy and II is not that bad either, especially if you have an undergrad in fin/economics.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Wow! That first site has to be a joke. Judging by his articles and the way they are constructed I would say that his education level isn't beyond high school. He also is clearly delusional.

Having said that, I am eagerly waiting for the Z10 to arrive here in the States. I've been throwing the idea around of a strictly business phone and BB may have everything I need for that.

Balibalistic

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Wow! That first site has to be a joke. Judging by his articles and the way they are constructed I would say that his education level isn't beyond high school. He also is clearly delusional.

Having said that, I am eagerly waiting for the Z10 to arrive here in the States. I've been throwing the idea around of a strictly business phone and BB may have everything I need for that.

ive been swapping back between my i5 and bb z10 for two weeks now. i really wanted blackberry to do well, but unfortunately my iphone owns it on almost every level. the keyboard hauls butt though.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
It feels like this is some kind of mass joke that only Canadians are in on :p I just saw this song on Mr Li's website which provided endless laughs.

But seriously, if someone writes about seeing this song playing in an Apple store and doesn't realise it was obviously put on either as a joke or by a BB fanboy, not the store staff, they must either be joking or delusional...

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

I used to read CrackBerry when I had a BB. But, the last several years that place is just an idiot breeding ground. Most, not all, post there with full blinders on. When the PlayBook came out most folks there praised it like it was the next coming of the iPad.

Even the staff is out of control. I was a member there for over three years with a spotless record. When the PlayBook came out I bought it. Within two days I returned it due to major software issues. I posted my findings and the moderators banned me for two months and sent me a message stating "Come back when you have something worthwhile to say".

I haven't gone back since.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Once upon a time Apple fortunes were so bleak that Microsoft had to give them cash and promise to continue support for MS Office on the MAC. While it seems fun for some to kick a rival when their down I would say Apple owes a lot to Blackberry in terms of where Smartphones came from and where they are going from here.

I had many BB's in my day, but the writing for me was on the wall years ago and I left it for iOS and Android (bounce back and forth). So maybe BB won't be the big OS on the block again, maybe they will regain some of their former self who knows for sure but one thing they did wrong in the January 30th announcement was not shipping product in the US right away. UK and Canada, really the US market had far more BB corp and gov't users. But by missing the yearly purchase cycle hurt them and continues to do so. Home Depot is just another harsh reminder of BlackBerry's prospects if they can't get the product out the door.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Once upon a time Apple fortunes were so bleak that Microsoft had to give them cash and promise to continue support for MS Office on the MAC. While it seems fun for some to kick a rival when their down I would say Apple owes a lot to Blackberry in terms of where Smartphones came from and where they are going from here.

I for one, am not interested in kicking a down "rival." I don't want to see Blackberry disappear. I'd actually like to see them succeed.

That said, the key difference bwteen Blackberry and Apple has been timing and hubeis: Apple went a stronger partner and got the help they needed. Blackberry on the other hand, has waited a really long time to admit change was needed, and they haven't gotten over their hubris.

It's bad over there. The Z10 is actually a really nice product, and if iOS didn't exist, I'd probably be looking to get a Z10. However, as much as I avoid caring what people think of me for what piece of metal/glass/plastic I'm holding in my hand, I'd probably be a little embarrassed to sport a Blackberry... not because of the device or the technology, because people will likely lump me in with these blind fanatics who are immature, loud, obnoxious, and largely in denial.

If anyting, its current userbase is what's holding Blackberry back right now. And if the comapny's management is half as bad as its userbase, then I'm really worried about its future.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
I'd probably be a little embarrassed to sport a Blackberry... not because of the device or the technology, because people will likely lump me in with these blind fanatics who are immature, loud, obnoxious, and largely in denial.

You've nailed that pretty good, even down to the final batches of BB users that I know are exactly like this.

HorrorFestivalLike.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.