Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Please enlighten me on what makes sense in this post ?

All I said was Apple would release 10.9 when Apple wants to.

That's pretty simple and a very understandable statement.

Very simple. You basically said that a "will" "chooses." Although correct and at the most fundamental understanding of metaphysics, it doesn't communicate anything substantial.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
If you read the article the issue was not caused by installing Linux, It was caused by booting Linux via UEFI from the BIOS which caused this problem, the brick was not caused after the installation. It looks like a BIOS chip related bug.

But honestly I don't see how Macs can suffer from this issue, you are after all installing a version of OSX that is designed for your hardware & Mac, despite the fact that it may be beta software.

Not trying to be smart ass, just that I build PC's, overclock them, modify GPU BIOS and all that jazz, and I have never ever heard of an instance where a PC was bricked by installing a Beta version of an Operating System. I've even installed Mac OS, Ubuntu, Gnome on PC's and never had an issue.

The point is that it is possible to render the pc useless by using beta/crappy software.

And yes I've also modded many bios and nuked a few boards with it (nothing beats an external eeprom/flash programer:D), but I also succeeded in removing unwanted stuff from the bios like the computrace thingy on my windows laptop.

Btw Gnome ain't an operating system, it's a window manager. (Nitpick I know)

On the other hand I'm waiting for the 10.8.3 update to drop by to update my 2 macs. Let's hope they fix the inactive memory filling up all my ram and even making my mac page memory, it's getting tiresome having to run 'purge' every now and then.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Hopefully they will remove Game Center, is totally useless.

First, if people are using it, it will stay in - they don't care if one guy doesn't like it.

And second, if they were to decide to pull it, that would be in 10.9. That's not the kind of thing they do in a x.x.x release.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
But one thing is sure: 10.8.2 is by far the WORST ever 10.x.x release from Apple.

I don't understand how you can say that. 10.2 with its "sudden logout" problem that wasn't fixed until 10.3 and 10.4 with it's Kernel Panic when browsing crowded folders over AFP, not to mention the "graphics stall" that could happen in the early 10.5 version (on MacBook Pro with Nvidia graphics).

No, 10.8.2 is running well overall for me, but I can imagine the experience is a bit different depending on the Mac you have.

epelba01

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2013
Wake on Lan

Any word if 10.8.3 fixes Wake on LAN or Wake on Wireless? I have my time capsule set up in bridge mode behind Verizon FIOS and have been having issues with file sharing, screen sharing, etc. Apple tech support has always said that it is because of bridge mode, but after reading numerous posts it seems that it is a Mac OS issue. Anyone testing 10.8.3 would appreciate your input.

ghosthaunt11

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2013
I know that Apple has rules about developers discussing their situation with the public and that there may be some surprises in 10.8.3 that Apple does not want us to know about yet, but why can't they just tell us when they expect to release 10.8.3? I am trying my best to be patient, but I think that eleven betas are ENOUGH! We have not been able to update since early October, which was more than FOUR MONTHS AGO! I am going to be very, very cranky if they don't release it by the end of this month. They better have a GOOD reason for the long wait, such as bug fixing.

I have seen lots of other complaints about Apple taking a long time to release the update, so I am not the only one to complain about it and Apple has probably heard them by now. They would not want a bunch of angry customers, so, who knows? Maybe they will FINALLY tell us WHEN they expect to release it. I'm not saying that Apple is a bad company, I just think that they are taking TOO LONG to release this. I still like Macs a lot better than PCs!

:mad:

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Sometimes it seems that Apple designed Mountain Lion just to increase their iPad and iPhone sales.
If you don't own an iPad or iPhone, then don't use all the common features. If you do own an iOS device, the integration of iOS and OS X features is a huge boon!

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Ridiculous. Haven't they been listing no known issues for the last few builds? Maybe there is something that will reveal info on Mac Pro's or something that they are just trying to keep under wraps.

This is a good point - perhaps 10.8.3 will be "released" with new hardware, and they are waiting on production of said hardware and/or final versions of hardware drivers to be available from the manufacturer.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I actually know what I'm talking about because I know that OS X 10.8.3 will be released this Wednesday at 1:30pm PST to the public. :p
For how many weeks have you been predicting that each update will be released at that time? At least two that I can find quickly.

ghosthaunt11

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2013
I actually know what I'm talking about because I know that OS X 10.8.3 will be released this Wednesday at 1:30pm PST to the public. :p

How do you know that 10.8.3 will be released on Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. Pacific Time? I think that you're just guessing.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
How do you know that 10.8.3 will be released on Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. Pacific Time? I think that you're just guessing.

You guys take things too seriously, like The Bulge over here trying to troll against my troll. :D

Anyways, yes it's a guess and I've written this 2 times before over the last two weeks in these forums.

However, this isn't just a random guess. It's based on fact and history of OS X releases. Most of the OS X releases and updates have been pushed out at around that time on Wednesdays (In fact, during my previous 2 guesses, the betas of OS X 10.8.3 was released around those times). So the actual reality is that we are either going to see another beta release or an actual release to the public of OS X 10.8.3 on Wednesday (+/-1 day margin).

Now look, I can claim to be one of those analysts, but I'm not.

ghosthaunt11

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2013
You guys take things too seriously, like The Bulge over here trying to troll against my troll. :D

Anyways, yes it's a guess and I've written this 2 times before over the last two weeks in these forums.

However, this isn't just a random guess. It's based on fact and history of OS X releases. Most of the OS X releases and updates have been pushed out at around that time on Wednesdays (In fact, during my previous 2 guesses, the betas of OS X 10.8.3 was released around those times). So the actual reality is that we are either going to see another beta release or an actual release to the public of OS X 10.8.3 on Wednesday (+/-1 day margin).

Now look, I can claim to be one of those analysts, but I'm not.

Don't worry, I'm not trying to troll against your troll. I'm not mad at you for anything. I just think that Apple is taking too long to release this. Anyway, I hope that Apple will release the update to the public next Wednesday and NOT another beta.

----------

How big is the update file at this point?

I have the same question. How big would the file be at this point? Also, how long would the update take to install?

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Ugh the discussion here is so pointless. Doesn't anyone actually have anything relevant to add to the discussion?

I for one haven't been noticing really any differences in the last few iterations of the 10.8.3 beta.

Here's some things I've noticed so far while using the latest build.

- Bootcamp hasn't been updated to support Windows 8 yet.
I'm guessing that will be something that will come with the public release. I for one am really hoping that new boot camp drivers are released that fix some of the issues I've been having like no volume up and down overlays and problems I've been having with setting and adjusting brightness also keyboard backlight problems.

- Safari hasn't changed in the last few builds ( Version 6.0.3 (8536.28.10) )
From the standpoint of someone who doesn't have a retina display I see no reason to be using safari when both chrome and firefox are leaps and bounds better then safari.

- There is still a frequent indexing problem.
I'm getting re-indexing about every time I turn my computer on and then some...

- Shutdown still seems to be slow.
Can take a good 20+ seconds even with a SSD.

- Not really any noticeable changes that I can remember for the average user between 10.8.2 and 10.8.3
If you weren't noticing bugs in 10.8.2 then 10.8.3 will seem like nothing changed.

How big is the update file at this point?

The combo update is 830,201,394 bytes (830.2 MB on disk)
I think the delta is ~570 MB

Also, how long would the update take to install?

Depends if you are upgrading from 10.8.2 with the delta or a previous OS with the combo. It also depends on your drive read/write speed. I'd say it could range anywhere from 10 minutes to over 1 hour depending on your situation.

For me it takes about 10-15 minutes to update with each iteration. I'm on a 2010 13" macbook pro with a SSD.

Hopefully they will remove Game Center, is totally useless.

Game center hasn't been removed, in fact I believe it's slowly being tweaked and refined. The fact that it's relatively small (5mb) means that it's not really bloating the system for people who don't use it while still providing the beginnings of a potential mega-giant social game network for those who do use it.

If you can't handle seeing Game Center clogging up your Applications files simply open terminal and type what's displayed below and you'll never see it again:
sudo mv /Applications/Game\ Center.app /Applications/.Game\ Center.app

The point is that it is possible to render the pc useless by using beta/crappy software.

On the other hand I'm waiting for the 10.8.3 update to drop by to update my 2 macs. Let's hope they fix the inactive memory filling up all my ram and even making my mac page memory, it's getting tiresome having to run 'purge' every now and then.

Yeah, a OSX beta that's being seeded to developers probably isn't going to nuke your computer, especially considering that the software is taylor made for your hardware (unless you're using a hackintosh).

Why bother waiting for 10.8.3 to drop? You're one google search away from running the beta build which is, at this point, probably very very close to what the public build is going to be like.

Does the graphic enhancements of 10.8.3 improve chrome experience?

Maybe its just me but scrolling in chrome is much slower than safari on RMBP..

I hope RBMP becomes snappier in terms of graphics, thats my only compliant with my 13 RMBP

There is no graphics enhancements in 10.8.3 at least from what I understand. The mention of graphics drivers in the release notes is not about performance improvements but rather this:
As noted by netkas.org and in our forums, the initial beta release of OS X 10.8.3 seeded to developers yesterday contains drivers supporting AMD's latest 7000-series graphics cards, including the high-end "Tahiti" options. The development has naturally sparked speculation that Apple is starting to build in support for graphics cards to be used in the all-new Mac Pro coming in 2013.

Also Chrome is Googles responsibility not Apples. Chrome will remain slow on retina machines until Googles updates it specifically for retina machines. Apple has not control over this process.

Since I don't own a rMBP I can not confirm that there are no improvements from .2 - .3 but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Performance is likely to stay very much the same, this is a release that I believe is mainly focused on small bug fixes and tweaks to existing apps.

Last edited by a moderator:

samofhim

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
Bristol, UK
Ugh the discussion here is so pointless. Doesn't anyone actually have anything relevant to add to the discussion?

I for one haven't been noticing really any differences in the last few iterations of the 10.8.3 beta.

Here's some things I've noticed so far while using the latest build.

- Bootcamp hasn't been updated to support Windows 8 yet.
I'm guessing that will be something that will come with the public release. I for one am really hoping that new boot camp drivers are released that fix some of the issues I've been having like no volume up and down overlays and problems I've been having with setting and adjusting brightness also keyboard backlight problems.

- Safari hasn't changed in the last few builds ( Version 6.0.3 (8536.28.10) )
From the standpoint of someone who doesn't have a retina display I see no reason to be using safari when both chrome and firefox are leaps and bounds better then safari.

- There is still a frequent indexing problem.
I'm getting re-indexing about every time I turn my computer on and then some...

- Shutdown still seems to be slow.
Can take a good 20+ seconds even with a SSD.

- Not really any noticeable changes that I can remember for the average user between 10.8.2 and 10.8.3
If you weren't noticing bugs in 10.8.2 then 10.8.3 will seem like nothing changed.

The combo update is 830,201,394 bytes (830.2 MB on disk)
I think the delta is ~570 MB

Depends if you are upgrading from 10.8.2 with the delta or a previous OS with the combo. It also depends on your drive read/write speed. I'd say it could range anywhere from 10 minutes to over 1 hour depending on your situation.

For me it takes about 10-15 minutes to update with each iteration. I'm on a 2010 13" macbook pro with a SSD.

Game center hasn't been removed, in fact I believe it's slowly being tweaked and refined. The fact that it's relatively small (5mb) means that it's not really bloating the system for people who don't use it while still providing the beginnings of a potential mega-giant social game network for those who do use it.

If you can't handle seeing Game Center clogging up your Applications files simply open terminal and type what's displayed below and you'll never see it again:

Yeah, a OSX beta that's being seeded to developers probably isn't going to nuke your computer, especially considering that the software is taylor made for your hardware (unless you're using a hackintosh).

Why bother waiting for 10.8.3 to drop? You're one google search away from running the beta build which is, at this point, probably very very close to what the public build is going to be like.

There is no graphics enhancements in 10.8.3 at least from what I understand. The mention of graphics drivers in the release notes is not about performance improvements but rather this:

Also Chrome is Googles responsibility not Apples. Chrome will remain slow on retina machines until Googles updates it specifically for retina machines. Apple has not control over this process.

Since I don't own a rMBP I can not confirm that there are no improvements from .2 - .3 but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Performance is likely to stay very much the same, this is a release that I believe is mainly focused on small bug fixes and tweaks to existing apps.

Thank you w0lf for getting the conversation back on topic.

I'm not a dev so no idea how the codes for the different versions for the builds work but is there any indication for when we might see a GM?

Do you think it will happen around the same time as the next Apple press event?

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Previous version release notes:-

Release Notes for 10.8.3 Developer Build: 12D65

The 10.8.3 update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including the following:

The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using your Mac's built-in camera
Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive
A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
Includes Safari 6.0.3 Version 6.0.3 (8536.28.10) – (Build 12D61 of 10.8.3 has Version 6.0.3 (8536.28.9)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.