Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
I am in the trial period of VMWare Fusion 5. My question is about migration time.

I had tried out Parallels 8 and created a VM of a bare load of Windows 7 (Took standard Win7 load times which are very quick). The image is 9GB.

I decided to give Fusion 5 a try and loaded it up, but instead of a new VM I told it to migrate the parallels VM. It worked fine....10 hours later. Was surprised it took so long for such a small VM conversion.

I also tried to do Windows 7 PC to VM migration, and after 4 hours if it showing "Copying Disks....." a Progress bar....and words below it "Calculating Time Remaining" which never went away before I had finally stopped things.

Question 1) How long should it take to Migrate a PC with about 50GB of data and how long to convert a Parallels VM?

Question 2) Is Parallels faster or are they both slow?

Thanks in advance for your help.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
I have an update. After 10 hours the conversion of the Parallels VM finished and worked fine.

I then tried to migrate a PC....14 hours later it was at 1%.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
What if you shutdown Windows and open the Disk container for Parallels and using the Finder to copy all those files a Fusion container directly? Would that work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.