Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

copydeskcat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Hi folks,

I have a Mac mini, with several other devices around the house (both wifi and ethernet devices). I access the web via a Virgin Media SuperHub (cable modem/four-port router).

I have a lot of ethernet devices, so I've purchased an 8-port TP-Link router which has DHCP. My plan was to put the Superhub in to "modem mode" and connect it to the TP-Link router - however, the TP-Link doesn't have wifi.

So, I wanted to check with the forum... if I buy an Airport Express and plug it into the TP-Link router, will it give me a wifi network around the home or will I be faced with DHCP issues?

Best,

CDC

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Hi folks,

I have a Mac mini, with several other devices around the house (both wifi and ethernet devices). I access the web via a Virgin Media SuperHub (cable modem/four-port router).

I have a lot of ethernet devices, so I've purchased an 8-port TP-Link router which has DHCP. My plan was to put the Superhub in to "modem mode" and connect it to the TP-Link router - however, the TP-Link doesn't have wifi.

So, I wanted to check with the forum... if I buy an Airport Express and plug it into the TP-Link router, will it give me a wifi network around the home or will I be faced with DHCP issues?

Best,

CDC

This is the best way to do it, the superhub is beyond a joke, it's awful... I know I have one. Put it in modem only mode and only Ethernet port 1 is active on the superhub.

Plug this into the tplink wan port. Then plug your airport express into the tplink, in airport express settings just set the Internet mode to off (bridge only) mode, this makes it a access point only + music streaming.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
One other thing to keep in mind is that the new wifi standards will shortly be ratified...Apple will almost certainly release updated versions of the AE, TC AEBS range of products when it is, so buying now might not n
Be the best move unless you really have to. I'm waiting until the new standard is live...My AE is showing its age a little, but I'm trying to make it last. I will then replace my TC as well.

copydeskcat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
This is the best way to do it, the superhub is beyond a joke, it's awful... I know I have one. Put it in modem only mode and only Ethernet port 1 is active on the superhub.

Plug this into the tplink wan port. Then plug your airport express into the tplink, in airport express settings just set the Internet mode to off (bridge only) mode, this makes it a access point only + music streaming.

Superb - thanks man. Off to the Apple Store I go...

----------

One other thing to keep in mind is that the new wifi standards will shortly be ratified...Apple will almost certainly release updated versions of the AE, TC AEBS range of products when it is, so buying now might not n
Be the best move unless you really have to. I'm waiting until the new standard is live...My AE is showing its age a little, but I'm trying to make it last. I will then replace my TC as well.

Thanks for this I don't think I can put up with my internet connection shutting down every hour any longer. Need to sort this now, or I'll wreck the joint.

----------

One more question...

Should I download the Airport Express utility now before I start messing around? I'm probably better to, aren't I?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Superb - thanks man. Off to the Apple Store I go...

----------

Thanks for this I don't think I can put up with my internet connection shutting down every hour any longer. Need to sort this now, or I'll wreck the joint.

----------

One more question...

Should I download the Airport Express utility now before I start messing around? I'm probably better to, aren't I?

You can...the disks that ship with them will have a slightly older version on them...might as well grab the new one..even if it has been dumbed down for ML

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.