Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Well I think the "special" olympics is only for the mentally handicapped isn't it?

Right, he'd be participating in the Paralympics (ParaOlympics?), which takes place in the same venues a week or two after the Olympics.

You know what I meant, I always get them mixed up. I have the view that all Olympics should happen at the same time. Separating them doesn't help bring awareness as most people forget they're even on. It brings in additional ad revenue though :rolleyes:

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
LAUSANNE, Switzerland — Double-amputee sprinter Oscar Pistorius won his appeal Friday and can compete for a place in the Beijing Olympics.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled that the 21-year-old South African is eligible to race against able-bodied athletes, overturning a ban imposed by the International Association of Athletics Federations.

CAS said the unanimous ruling goes into effect immediately.

Pistorius was born without fibulas — the long, thin outer bone between the knee and ankle — and was 11 months old when his legs were amputated below the knee.

"I am ecstatic," Pistorius told reporters in Milan, Italy. "When I found out, I cried. It is a battle that has been going on for far too long. It's a great day for sport. I think this day is going to go down in history for the equality of disabled people."

Pistorius still must reach a qualifying time to run in the individual 400 meters at the Aug. 8-24 Beijing Games. However, he can be picked for the South African relay squad without qualifying. That relay squad has not yet qualified for the Olympics.
Fox News

Looks like he's got the go ahead to compete.

LeahM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
I think this is awesome. But I am biased because I have someone in my family who has a prothesis. It might be an advantage but its great for the young kids to understand that even though you have a prothesis, you can do anything anyone else can.

On the other hand, if people are saying he has an advantage, then there should also be rules about taking allergy medicine or pain medication, even cough syrup because that also effects your performance.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^^Yes, it does sound like you're biased. ;)

Why? it's not like he's a cyborg.

It's still not comparing apples to apples. Having a screw placed in a leg is one thing. Having an entirely unnatural limb is another, and the competition will be seen as unfair in some manner. While nobody seems to be able to truly determine whether this person gains an advantage by having this particular prosthetic limb, the fact that it's entirely different from what everyone else has, with a different reaction to ground-impact, flex, etc, makes it too different to compare it to the other athletes.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
He may have an advantage. In place of where two legged runners have a calf muscle that can fatigue he has a springy prothesis which doesn't fatigue.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
He may have an advantage. In place of where two legged runners have a calf muscle that can fatigue he has a springy prothesis which doesn't fatigue.

Well, carbon fiber can fatigue, just not in the way a muscle does. It doesn't cramp up though. ;)
And, let us not forget, lowered wind resistance. :D

I'm not so sure on that. It's basically flat in profile. Really lightweight though.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
like he said on an interview, carbon fibre is passive material, as it doesn't improve performance...

I really want to see him in the olympics. people here (south africa) are really happy for him to compete with able-bodied athletes :) wish him the best of luck.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I think it's incredible that this man has not let his "disability" get in the way of his dreams.

But still, the extra "spring" in his step is an unfair advantage.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
News story: Oscar Pistorius is accused of shooting and killing his girlfriend after an argument.

He was denied bail, which is a bit ironic - a man without lower legs found to be a flight risk. But I can see why they ruled that way.

Ballistics tests will be crucial to the prosecution's case, because they will supposedly show the angle of the shots he admits firing, which in turn will show whether or not he took the time to put on his prosthetic feet before the shooting, i.e., pre-meditation.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
He was denied bail, which is a bit ironic - a man without lower legs found to be a flight risk. But I can see why they ruled that way.

Ballistics tests will be crucial to the prosecution's case, because they will supposedly show the angle of the shots he admits firing, which in turn will show whether or not he took the time to put on his prosthetic feet before the shooting, i.e., pre-meditation.

Denied bail? CNN - the confused "news" network - does it again.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/21/oscar-pistorius-case-lead-detective-removed

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Last edited:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Interested to see how the trial ends!
We should know in a few weeks. The trial has now begun, with witnesses to the sounds testifying.

The prosecution claimed last year that Pistorius was wearing his prosthetic legs while firing. The defense claims he was not. Wouldn't ballistics evidence have settled that question already?

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
We should know in a few weeks. The trial has now begun, with witnesses to the sounds testifying.

The prosecution claimed last year that Pistorius was wearing his prosthetic legs while firing. The defense claims he was not. Wouldn't ballistics evidence have settled that question already?

I thought I heard somewhere they determined he did not have his prosthetics, but the girlfriend had two cell phones in the bathroom with her (implying she was hiding from him).

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I might be tempted to shoot out through a bathroom door at an intruder, but into one?

Why??
I'm stumped.

And maybe so was Pistorius.

(OK, I know, bad joke in the face of a serious issue, but if you're going to feed me a straight line like that then you have to expect these things.)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The bastard is as guilty as sin.
The judge does not agree, as far as the murder charge goes:
The state argued that Mr Pistorius had had an argument with Ms Steenkamp, after which he deliberately shot her dead.

The judge ruled this had not been proved, as there was only circumstantial evidence of an argument - uncorroborated witnesses' statements.
Source: BBC

A conviction for manslaughter ("culpable homicide") now seems likely.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I think the punishment for culpable homicide is up to the judge in this case. I'll be curious to see what he gets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.