Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The Internet is full of them - reports of crashes, slowdowns and overall instability when using TRIM Enabler. Not to mention OWC's own explicit recommendation to AVOID it whenever using SandForce-enabled SSDs.

Likewise, the Internet is probably also full of success stories in using a TRIM enabler. My point in asking xgman to elaborate and provide links was in the spirit of our rules for appropriate debate whereby we try to back up claims with sources and links so others can make more informed decisions or opinons on the subject at hand.

A blanket statement like that without further commentary, personal experience testimony or sources, is like a drive-by trolling post in some cases.

Since I recently purchased a MBP with a third-party SSD, I am personally reading up on everything there is to know about them. If TRIM is as bad as his one-liner suggests, I'd like to know more about why he said that.

I also just did a search of OWC's site looking for that explicit recommendation to not use TRIM enablers on SandForce SSD's and could not find anything. Would you post the link so I could read it too please?

TheBSDGuy

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
TheObeseSquirrel wrote:

http://www.scsc-online.com/Downloads_files/FAQ-2.pdf
"24. Can Scannerz be used with SSDs or flash drives? Scannerz will treat these as if they're regular hard drives, but the results might be erratic. SSDs are a “moving target.” The technology and how the OS deals with SSDs is still emerging. Future releases of Scannerz will have better SSD support. Scannerz can still be used with either of these if the user suspects the problem is related to the hardware connectivity circuitry or certain sections of the devices are unreadable.

Well, I never said I was an expert on Scannerz. :eek::D

Maybe I'll send the guys at SCSC an e-mail with a link to this post and possibly get a response from them that I can post here. We've been using it on SSDs without any problems.

As an FYI last night I thought I would watch a video online and for kicks thought I'd use FireFox for a change, since I hadn't used it on Mountain Lion. About 2 minutes into the video, I start seeing horizontal lines and blocks start running through the thing. I thought to myself, "Oh great, the display's going." When I hit escape which brought the video back into a window, it was apparent that it wasn't the display, it was FireFox...or at least FireFox running under Mountain Lion.

When I installed Mountain Lion, I basically split the original Snow Leopard volume, cloned it onto the new volume and installed ML over that. Glad I did, because now if I move back to SL it's still there, but migrating the e-mail back might be a PIA since I made a fairly hard commitment to ML when I moved to it. The video ran fine in SL on FireFox, although the two versions of FireFox are different.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Likewise, the Internet is probably also full of success stories in using a TRIM enabler. My point in asking xgman to elaborate and provide links was in the spirit of our rules for appropriate debate whereby we try to back up claims with sources and links so others can make more informed decisions or opinons on the subject at hand.

A blanket statement like that without further commentary, personal experience testimony or sources, is like a drive-by trolling post in some cases.

Since I recently purchased a MBP with a third-party SSD, I am personally reading up on everything there is to know about them. If TRIM is as bad as his one-liner suggests, I'd like to know more about why he said that.

I also just did a search of OWC's site looking for that explicit recommendation to not use TRIM enablers on SandForce SSD's and could not find anything. Would you post the link so I could read it too please?

I would never state something like that without proper basis:

http://blog.macsales.com/11051-to-trim-or-not-to-trim-owc-has-the-answer

Other links report problems, but I am trying to ski with my wife tomorrow here in France so can't find them right now... ;)

Last edited:

ObeseSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
It happened again, after I had disabled TRIM Enabler, repaired permissions, and restarted the computer. So either TRIM was never the problem, or it has already damaged my system already. I am inclined to believe the former.

This happened while I had the laptop unplugged, and playing a video on my bed. It always happens after I have moved the computer around…

I have the sudden motion sensor disabled (because it's an SSD). Could that have anything to do with it?

I might just have to wait for 10.8.3 for this one to get fixed...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It happened again, after I had disabled TRIM Enabler, repaired permissions, and restarted the computer. So either TRIM was never the problem, or it has already damaged my system already. I am inclined to believe the former.

This happened while I had the laptop unplugged, and playing a video on my bed. It always happens after I have moved the computer around…

I have the sudden motion sensor disabled (because it's an SSD). Could that have anything to do with it?

Strange for sure. What is it that you think is in 10.8.3 that is going to fix the problem?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Do not run Spinrite on an SSD, it'll wear it out prematurely. Plus SSDs have smart sector remapping.

Check for firmware updates for your SSD.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Do not run Spinrite on an SSD, it'll wear it out prematurely. Plus SSDs have smart sector remapping.

Which model SSD is it?

Spinrite will only wear on an SSD if run on level's 3 or 4 which performs write actions. Levels 1 and 2 are read only which do not wear out SSD's.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
The current version of Sprinrite 6 is from 2004, long before SSDs. I would suspect the problem being in the firmware, OSX (reinstall & restore) or the sata cable (I had this go duff on a friends 2010 MBP). Of course it could also be a failing or worn out SSD (an early OCZ wore out on me).

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The current version of Sprinrite 6 is from 2004, long before SSDs.

That's irrelevant. Levels 1 and 2 are read only, you can read an SSD all day long everyday and it's not going to bother it a bit. The problem with wearing out an SSD comes in when it's being written to.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland

And why did you disable the motion sensor again?

ObeseSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
Strange for sure. What is it that you think is in 10.8.3 that is going to fix the problem?

This problem first appeared on October 10, 2012. The current version of Mountain Lion (12C60) was released on October 4. This makes me think this might be an issue with the latest OSX release. I will probably use the combo update to install 10.8.3 for good measure.

Check for firmware updates for your SSD.

Apparently the Corsair Performance Pro still uses the original firmware, though the website isn't very helpful, since it relies on a forum for this kind of information.
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107588
(Last updated Nov. 18, 2012, so since this issue has started for me, at least.)

I would suspect the problem being in the firmware, OSX (reinstall & restore) or the sata cable (I had this go duff on a friends 2010 MBP). Of course it could also be a failing or worn out SSD (an early OCZ wore out on me).

Firmware: I believe I purchased my solid state drive around springtime last year, and this problem only started in October. It seems strange that a firmware problem would show up all at once, and then consistently afterward, no?

OSX (reinstall and restore): I reinstalled OSX over my current drive (not a clean install) after this problem started and it didn't solve the problem. I'm won't be ready to commit to a clean install unless 10.8.3 fails to address this issue.

SATA Cable: Spring of last year was a very traumatic time for me computer wise. Around this time (can't remember whether it was before or after the SSD arrived) my computer started having random kernel panics, followed by failure to restart, followed by normal behavior, and repeat. (This on Lion 10.7.3) The problem was only resolved when my entire motherboard was replaced. My point is that though my Macbook is a little old (MBP mid-2010, 13") most of the Internals have been in use for less than a year.

Failing or Worn SSD: Based on what others have said, I could erase the entire SSD and then restore from Time Machine, right? But then there's the risk that my Time Machine volume (dating back to June 2011, I believe) has been corrupted in that time. And if this isn't the real problem, I would have added a bunch of unnecessary writes to my disk.

One piece of information that might be helpful: While my laptop was being repaired last spring, I had all of my data stored on my brand new SSD, which I then tried to connect to my school's iMac via Firewire, so that I could continue my work. This worked for a few minutes, until I heard a click from my drive, and the computer froze. Upon restart, it did not recognize a partition at all on my disk. When my laptop came back, I had to reformat the SSD (don't know if it erased), restore from time machine, and then reinstall Lion over that to make it all work again. My point is that my current installation is written over a previous installation that had somehow mysteriously disappeared from my SSD. Don't know if that would affect the SSD's performance. But then again, it lasted for 6 months without any issue, until very shortly after the release of 12C60.

And why did you disable the motion sensor again?

Because it's unnecessary for an SSD, and I wasn't sure if it could be detrimental for the Mac to unnecessarily cause hangs in the system. Lots of SSD users seem to disable it. Apple says computers with SSD don't use SMS, because there are no moving parts, but for Apple, this language often means "computers that weren't shipped with SSD already."
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1935?viewlocale=en_US

Here are my "pmset -g" settings, incase that's interesting:

Battery Power -1
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
womp 1
halfdim 1
sms 0
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
networkoversleep 0
disksleep 0
sleep 0
hibernatemode 0
ttyskeepawake 1
displaysleep 15
acwake 0
lidwake 1

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
This problem first appeared on October 10, 2012. The current version of Mountain Lion (12C60) was released on October 4. This makes me think this might be an issue with the latest OSX release. I will probably use the combo update to install 10.8.3 for good measure.

I understand now where you're coming from. Doing the combo update is a good idea. Like you said already, one other possibility is doing a secure erase of the SSD and restoring from Time Machine. I would wait on doing that until after you get 10.8.3 to see if it resolves itself.

Not a troubleshooting step. I did this almost as soon as I started using the SSD.

Good thinking. You're certainly doing your homework! :)

ObeseSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
A note about my computer history:

In Snow Leopard and Early Lion, I seemed to have a lot of problems with wake from sleep, usually after I had moved between my apartment and school. The computer would simply wake up to a black screen, and I would have to shut down my computer and restart. This has happened a few times more recently, but it isn't nearly as much of a problem as it used to be.

Then in Spring 2012, I had the kernel panics mentioned above. Again, this was often shortly after I had awakened my computer, and usually after I had moved between locations (from what I can remember). Replacing the logic board seems to have resolved this issue.

And then there is this, disk i/o failure evidenced by either loss of access to keychain or a random program quitting and failing to restart, again correlated with (triggered by?) either waking from sleep, moving the computer, connecting/disconnecting external drives/power cords, or wifi network outages.

Could there be a longstanding problem with OSX generally after changes are made with the computers external connections?

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
OP, there is a lot of info in this thread, but there are some key parts missing for me.

* Did you upgrade your MBP to SSD? It sounds like you did, but confirming would be helpful

* What model MBP (e.g., year) is this?

* How often does this problem occur?

While I know SSD is awesome (my 2008 unibody MacBook is running great on a Samsung 830 I installed in it recently), I really have to lean towards some issue with your SSD - but that's based on really thin information.

What I'm getting at is that I suggest going back to your HDD that you took out of the MBP when you upgraded [assuming a) you upgraded and b) you still have that drive around]. Or, you could buy a new SSD or HDD and start totally fresh.

If the problem you're describing doesn't re-occur within a reasonable timeframe, I'd say the SSD is the culprit. That is, if you get this problem once a month, then after 2 months I'd lean that direction and look at a new SSD.

I'll also say that hardware troubleshooting can be a PITA remotely. If you haven't already, you might want to consult a genius in the store. I'm also recommending this action because you mentioned the logic board was replaced, which gives me pause.

In the end, there are some issues that don't resolve well. Not being able to look at console logs is problematic. If this is a transient issue, then that's another complicating variable.

ObeseSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
OP, there is a lot of info in this thread, but there are some key parts missing for me.

* Did you upgrade your MBP to SSD? It sounds like you did, but confirming would be helpful

Upgraded to SDD from original HDD.

* What model MBP (e.g., year) is this?

13" mid-2010

* How often does this problem occur?

There's no consistent timeframe. Lately, it's been every few days. Since starting this thread, it has happened on Feb. 10, Feb. 12, and Feb. 15. It seems to happen in spurts though, and may be about once a week on average. It's correlated with certain aspects of my behavior, especially when I move my computer around (as explained in the earlier posts).

While I know SSD is awesome (my 2008 unibody MacBook is running great on a Samsung 830 I installed in it recently), I really have to lean towards some issue with your SSD - but that's based on really thin information.

What I'm getting at is that I suggest going back to your HDD that you took out of the MBP when you upgraded [assuming a) you upgraded and b) you still have that drive around]. Or, you could buy a new SSD or HDD and start totally fresh.

If the problem you're describing doesn't re-occur within a reasonable timeframe, I'd say the SSD is the culprit. That is, if you get this problem once a month, then after 2 months I'd lean that direction and look at a new SSD.

I am using my original HDD as an external drive, but I do have an extra one laying around. Thanks for the suggestion! To save myself the trouble, I think I should troubleshoot in the following order:

1. See if 10.8.3 fixes this.
2. If not, secure erase my SDD and reinstall from Time Machine.
(may want to make sure my Time Machine isn't corrupted and restore to HDD just to be sure)
3. If not, move to HDD.
4. If not, clean install to SSD.
5. If not, clean install to HDD.

I'll also say that hardware troubleshooting can be a PITA remotely. If you haven't already, you might want to consult a genius in the store. I'm also recommending this action because you mentioned the logic board was replaced, which gives me pause.

In the end, there are some issues that don't resolve well. Not being able to look at console logs is problematic. If this is a transient issue, then that's another complicating variable.

Thanks a lot! :) I'm not sure why the logic board previously being replaced gives you pause, but consulting a genius may be a must if this continues. The timing of when this started makes me think it was a problem with the most recent iteration of 10.8.2, which will be fixed with 10.8.3, but I can't be sure. This is one reason why this update can't come soon enough.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
If I were in your shoes, I'd forget about 10.8.3. This sounds a lot more like a hardware issue than anything else. Sure, it *could* be OS-related, but with your input I'm leaning towards a hardware issue of some sort, specifically a flaked-out SSD. I'd hate to see you prolonging your issue by waiting, and loading 10.8.3 onto a bum SSD won't fix anything.

If it were OS-related then I'd expect more people to be complaining about this issue.

Given the frequency of occurrence, replacing the SSD with an HDD should tell you where you stand fairly quickly (a week or so).

Again, if I were in your shoes I'd be biting the bullet and starting fresh with an internal HDD. You want to remover as many variables as possible, and too many fingers point towards the existing SSD.

TheBSDGuy

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
I contacted SCSC about Scannerz and support for SSDs. You CAN test an SSD with Scannerz, but the "historical report" may not be of much value to you. The "historical report" is intended to typically indicate a performance slow down on a real (mechanical) hard drive where a loss of performance due to slow degradation over time would show up as changes in their relative performance indices. Because SSDs use varying and changing types of wear leveling and TRIM, and its operation and timing can't be predicted by them, it might tend to report inaccurate results in the "historical report."

That said, they took a look at this thread and suggested that the fact that you seem to be correlating movement with the appearance of the problem to them suggests a connection fault, such as a faulty cable, faulty connector, or cracked traces in the logic board. Traces in the SATA cable on those units can develop micro cracks and provide intermittent contact, which can yield I/O errors or irregularities during a Scannerz test, and of course during actual use as well.

They suggested you download their demo (limited to 0-10G sweeps) at:

http://www.scsc-online.com/Scannerz_files/Scannerz Demo.dmg

and do the following:

1. Start a scan on the unit in cursory mode. Keep in mind that with an SSD I assume you won't have a whole lot of time because I assume it will scan quickly and the demo is limited to 10G.

2. Click on the "Test Status" tab.

3. Monitoring the "Test Status" tab, start lightly tapping on the bottom of the unit near the vicinity of the SSD and cable.

4. If irregularities or errors are showing up that can be correlated to the tapping, then you've got an electrical fault in the system somewhere. This will be a cracked logic board trace, intermittent contact in the SATA cable, or connector problems.

5. If irregularities or errors are showing up at the exact same places in the scan, then you've got bad or marginal memory blocks in the SSD, but the demo only scans to 10G so the likelihood of this being the problem and being caught isn't that high.

Scannerz monitors for I/O errors and timing retries. If there are temporary disconnects due to something like a cable fault, cracked logic board trace, or intermittent contact in a connector, the system will try and re-try until electrical contact is re-established (sort of like a loose light bulb flickering on and off) at which point an irregularity is acknowledge by Scannerz, or if contact isn't re-established an I/O error will occur and will show up as an error in Scannerz. I would think in the latter your system would lock up, but that's me guessing (again). :)

The difference between a drive problem and a system problem is that drive problems, like bad sectors, will always occur at the exact same place during a drive scan, but if they're caused by bad cables, logic board traces, or connectors they won't be tied to a specific region of the drive, they'll happen randomly.

They also suggested that if you have the free space on your drive you might want to split the volume and try something like a basic installation of Snow Leopard or Lion on the smaller, new volume to see if the problems disappear.

One caveat about Scannerz: It disables Spotlight indexing during a scan. When it ends, Spotlight will start re-indexing the entire system on Mountain Lion (it didn't seem to do this on Snow Leopard or Lion, just incremental updates.) SCSC makes a product called "SpotOff" which allows users to enable/disable Spotlight indexing. It was intended to be used on PPC units with Leopard because Spotlight was so obnoxious on those systems and it seemed to be cleaned up in Snow Leopard and Lion because they appeared to do incremental indexing. Guess what? Now it's apparently a "hot selling product" since ML has been introduced. Can you guess why?

As an FYI about ML bugs, today all I was doing was some e-Mail and basic web browsing. The system came to a crawl. I checked Activity Monitor and the system was using all 4GB or RAM, most of it in the kernel_task, mds, and Safari Web Content. In fact, as I write this, Activity Monitor is reporting that I'm using 429M for the kernel_task, 234M for the mds process, and 152M for Safari Web Content. I've got about 100M of "inactive" memory, and the total sum of memory used is slightly over 2GB. That's a lot of memory to be used when the only applications I'm running are Safari and Activity Monitor. I swear to God this thing worked better when I had 2G installed in the system.

I've never had problems with an Apple OS like this before. I'm seriously considering moving back down to Lion or Snow Leopard. I wouldn't rule out the OS being the cause of the problems at all!

Last edited:

ObeseSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
Now we might be getting somewhere! I'll explain below, so please offer your opinion if you have any. Referring this post to SCSC would be extremely helpful as well.

I contacted SCSC about Scannerz and support for SSDs. You CAN test an SSD with Scannerz, but the "historical report" may not be of much value to you. The "historical report" is intended to typically indicate a performance slow down on a real (mechanical) hard drive where a loss of performance due to slow degradation over time would show up as changes in their relative performance indices. Because SSDs use varying and changing types of wear leveling and TRIM, and its operation and timing can't be predicted by them, it might tend to report inaccurate results in the "historical report."

That said, they took a look at this thread and suggested that the fact that you seem to be correlating movement with the appearance of the problem to them suggests a connection fault, such as a faulty cable, faulty connector, or cracked traces in the logic board. Traces in the SATA cable on those units can develop micro cracks and provide intermittent contact, which can yield I/O errors or irregularities during a Scannerz test, and of course during actual use as well.

That would certainly be bad news. I don't want to have to replace Mac internals again! :( What would be the causes if this were the problem? I don't think I've ever been overtly rough with my Mac; I put it in my backpack and carry it around, but I haven't done anything unusual or actively destructive to it.

A note about the correlation with movement: This disconnect never happens while I am moving the computer around, but usually a few minutes afterward. I was never sure if it was the movement that triggered it, or the power/externals/wifi being (dis)connected.

They suggested you download their demo (limited to 0-10G sweeps) at:

http://www.scsc-online.com/Scannerz_files/Scannerz Demo.dmg

and do the following:

1. Start a scan on the unit in cursory mode. Keep in mind that with an SSD I assume you won't have a whole lot of time because I assume it will scan quickly and the demo is limited to 10G.

2. Click on the "Test Status" tab.

3. Monitoring the "Test Status" tab, start lightly tapping on the bottom of the unit near the vicinity of the SSD and cable.

4. If irregularities or errors are showing up that can be correlated to the tapping, then you've got an electrical fault in the system somewhere. This will be a cracked logic board trace, intermittent contact in the SATA cable, or connector problems.

5. If irregularities or errors are showing up at the exact same places in the scan, then you've got bad or marginal memory blocks in the SSD, but the demo only scans to 10G so the likelihood of this being the problem and being caught isn't that high.

Here's what Happened:

1. Scannerz told me to close all of my applications, so I closed them, except for the Finder.

2. Cursory Mode was unavailable, but I was able to use the Normal Scan for a Surface Scan (limited to 10 GB) and a Seek Scan (I think for the entire drive). No error reported.

3. I performed a second scan, since I was unsure whether this would scan the same same 10 GB or a different portion of the disk. Again, no errors.

4. I then performed a "Test Status" and lightly tapped the bottom of my laptop around where the SSD was located. There were no errors, so I lightly tapped the entire bottom of my laptop. Still no errors.

5. Spotlight was now reindexing.

6. I opened Safari to reply to your post.

7. Before Safari had loaded, I got a bunch of pop-up messages saying that all of my extensions were invalid and unable to load. I remembered that this had been one of the (many) symptoms of my i/o error once, so I opened a document and tried to save a change, and yep, IT HAPPENED AGAIN!

8. I restarted my computer, and all of my startup programs, PLUS SAFARI, opened up. This means that the disk i/o had failed *after* I had reopened Safari, but *before* the extensions were loaded.

My Time Machine external drive was connected the entire time.

Scannerz monitors for I/O errors and timing retries. If there are temporary disconnects due to something like a cable fault, cracked logic board trace, or intermittent contact in a connector, the system will try and re-try until electrical contact is re-established (sort of like a loose light bulb flickering on and off) at which point an irregularity is acknowledge by Scannerz, or if contact isn't re-established an I/O error will occur and will show up as an error in Scannerz. I would think in the latter your system would lock up, but that's me guessing (again). :)

The difference between a drive problem and a system problem is that drive problems, like bad sectors, will always occur at the exact same place during a drive scan, but if they're caused by bad cables, logic board traces, or connectors they won't be tied to a specific region of the drive, they'll happen randomly.

They also suggested that if you have the free space on your drive you might want to split the volume and try something like a basic installation of Snow Leopard or Lion on the smaller, new volume to see if the problems disappear.

One caveat about Scannerz: It disables Spotlight indexing during a scan. When it ends, Spotlight will start re-indexing the entire system on Mountain Lion (it didn't seem to do this on Snow Leopard or Lion, just incremental updates.) SCSC makes a product called "SpotOff" which allows users to enable/disable Spotlight indexing. It was intended to be used on PPC units with Leopard because Spotlight was so obnoxious on those systems and it seemed to be cleaned up in Snow Leopard and Lion because they appeared to do incremental indexing. Guess what? Now it's apparently a "hot selling product" since ML has been introduced. Can you guess why?

As an FYI about ML bugs, today all I was doing was some e-Mail and basic web browsing. The system came to a crawl. I checked Activity Monitor and the system was using all 4GB or RAM, most of it in the kernel_task, mds, and Safari Web Content. In fact, as I write this, Activity Monitor is reporting that I'm using 429M for the kernel_task, 234M for the mds process, and 152M for Safari Web Content. I've got about 100M of "inactive" memory, and the total sum of memory used is slightly over 2GB. That's a lot of memory to be used when the only applications I'm running are Safari and Activity Monitor. I swear to God this thing worked better when I had 2G installed in the system.

I've never had problems with an Apple OS like this before. I'm seriously considering moving back down to Lion or Snow Leopard. I wouldn't rule out the OS being the cause of the problems at all!

So there I am. I might try running Scannerz again, with just the "Normal Scan," and just the "Test Status" plus finger-tapping to see if one of those individually causes the problem. Or this may have been a coincidence (I had also just returned to my apartment from school, another trigger, apparently). Scannerz never reported an error, but it may have triggered the problem somehow. I don't know, but it's not looking good...

ObeseSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
Note: This happened a couple of hours after I had had a wake-from-sleep issue while moving between classes. This may be irrelevant, but here's the Console log for that:

Here, I had opened the computer to a black screen. Pressing the power button brought me to my login screen, but the keyboard and trackpad would not respond. If this isn't related to the disk i/o error, I would rather focus on that, but if this is relevant, it might be worth looking at.

2/18/13 9:48:59.448 AM WindowServer[91]: CGXRegisterWindowWithSystemStatusBar: window 11 already registered
2/18/13 9:49:11.673 AM WindowServer[91]: CGXRegisterWindowWithSystemStatusBar: window 11 already registered
2/18/13 9:49:35.500 AM WindowServer[91]: CGXRegisterWindowWithSystemStatusBar: window 11 already registered
2/18/13 9:49:54.530 AM WindowServer[91]: CGXSetWindowBackgroundBlurRadius: Invalid window 0xffffffff
2/18/13 9:49:54.534 AM loginwindow[60]: find_shared_window: WID -1
2/18/13 9:49:54.534 AM loginwindow[60]: CGSGetWindowTags: Invalid window 0xffffffff
2/18/13 9:49:54.534 AM loginwindow[60]: find_shared_window: WID -1
2/18/13 9:49:54.534 AM loginwindow[60]: CGSSetWindowTags: Invalid window 0xffffffff
2/18/13 9:49:54.604 AM loginwindow[60]: ERROR | -[LWBuiltInScreenLockAuthLion preLoad] | guestEnabled is true, but guest mode is not set to a usable value
2/18/13 9:49:55.416 AM com.apple.time[13]: Next maintenance wake [Backup Interval]: <date: 0x7ffd22c32830> Mon Feb 18 10:13:30 2013 CST (approx)
2/18/13 9:49:55.416 AM com.apple.time[13]: Requesting maintenance wake [Backup Interval]: <date: 0x7ffd22c32830> Mon Feb 18 10:13:30 2013 CST (approx)
2/18/13 9:49:56.253 AM WindowServer[91]: Created shield window 0x1350 for display 0x042730c0
2/18/13 9:49:56.253 AM WindowServer[91]: device_generate_desktop_screenshot: authw 0x7fe8a4cbff20(2000), shield 0x7fe8a4cbfbb0(2001)
2/18/13 9:49:56.000 AM kernel[0]: AirPort_Brcm43xx::powerChange: System Sleep
2/18/13 9:49:56.297 AM WindowServer[91]: device_generate_lock_screen_screenshot: authw 0x7fe8a4cbff20(2000), shield 0x7fe8a4cbfbb0(2001)
2/18/13 9:49:56.000 AM kernel[0]: en1: BSSID changed to d8:c7:c8:69:71:78
2/18/13 9:49:56.000 AM kernel[0]: wlEvent: en1 en1 Link DOWN virtIf = 0
2/18/13 9:49:56.000 AM kernel[0]: AirPort: Link Down on en1. Reason 8 (Disassociated because station leaving).
2/18/13 9:49:56.000 AM kernel[0]: en1::IO80211Interface::postMessage bssid changed
2/18/13 9:49:57.316 AM WindowServer[91]: CGXDisableUpdate: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Finder" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.
2/18/13 9:52:15.394 AM WindowServer[91]: handle_will_sleep_auth_and_shield_windows: no lock state data
2/18/13 9:52:15.431 AM WindowServer[91]: reenable_update_for_connection: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Finder" after 2.22 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)
2/18/13 9:52:15.000 AM kernel[0]: Wake reason: EC LID0
2/18/13 9:52:15.000 AM kernel[0]: HID tickle 0 ms
2/18/13 9:52:15.000 AM kernel[0]: AirPort_Brcm43xx::powerChange: System Wake - Full Wake/ Dark Wake / Maintenance wake
2/18/13 9:52:15.000 AM kernel[0]: Previous Sleep Cause: 5
2/18/13 9:52:17.217 AM loginwindow[60]: ERROR | -[LWScreenLock(Private) screenIsLockedTimeExpired:] | No lock state found, use built in check
2/18/13 9:52:18.335 AM configd[19]: setting hostname to "USERNAME.local"
2/18/13 9:52:18.346 AM configd[19]: network changed: v4(en1-:129.118.9.166) DNS- Proxy- SMB-
2/18/13 9:52:18.422 AM usbmuxd[411]: AMDeviceConnect (thread 0x100681000): Could not connect to lockdown port (62078) on device 131 - 98cbd9c7dcfc83468aa7cf7d551e72872a602dc7: 0xe8000084.
2/18/13 9:52:18.423 AM usbmuxd[411]: _AMDevicePreflightWorker (thread 0x100681000): Pair worker could not connect to lockdownd on device 131: 0xe8000084.
2/18/13 9:52:18.456 AM eapolclient[7986]: en1 STOP
2/18/13 9:52:19.000 AM kernel[0]: MacAuthEvent en1 Auth result for: d8:c7:c8:69:74:98 MAC AUTH succeeded
2/18/13 9:52:19.000 AM kernel[0]: wlEvent: en1 en1 Link UP virtIf = 0
2/18/13 9:52:19.000 AM kernel[0]: AirPort: Link Up on en1
2/18/13 9:52:19.000 AM kernel[0]: en1: BSSID changed to d8:c7:c8:69:74:98
2/18/13 9:52:19.000 AM kernel[0]: en1::IO80211Interface::postMessage bssid changed
2/18/13 9:52:19.133 AM eapolclient[8174]: en1 START
2/18/13 9:52:19.170 AM eapolclient[8174]: en1 LEAP: successfully authenticated
2/18/13 9:52:19.732 AM airportd[8171]: _doAutoJoin: Already associated to “TTUnet”. Bailing on auto-join.
2/18/13 9:52:19.807 AM airportd[8171]: _doAutoJoin: Already associated to “TTUnet”. Bailing on auto-join.
2/18/13 9:52:20.000 AM kernel[0]: AirPort: RSN handshake complete on en1
2/18/13 9:52:20.547 AM configd[19]: network changed: v4(en1+:129.118.9.166) DNS+ Proxy+ SMB+
2/18/13 9:52:20.606 AM configd[19]: setting hostname to "soc-2.ttu.edu"
2/18/13 9:52:20.615 AM UserEventAgent[13]: Captive: en1: Not probing 'TTUnet' (protected network)
2/18/13 9:52:20.631 AM configd[19]: network changed: v4(en1!:129.118.9.166) DNS Proxy SMB
2/18/13 9:52:25.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBHub::setPowerState(0xffffff802d759800, 2 -> 4) timed out after 10228 ms
2/18/13 9:52:25.000 AM kernel[0]: en1: BSSID changed to d8:c7:c8:69:74:98
2/18/13 9:52:26.286 AM airportd[8171]: _doAutoJoin: Already associated to “TTUnet”. Bailing on auto-join.
2/18/13 9:52:30.381 AM timezoned[8190]: bootstrap_look_up failed (44e)
2/18/13 9:52:30.412 AM timezoned[8190]: bootstrap_look_up failed (44e)
2/18/13 9:52:30.433 AM BetterTouchTool[8183]: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSUnregisterWindowWithSystemStatusBar: Invalid window
2/18/13 9:52:35.509 AM com.apple.time[13]: Next maintenance wake [Backup Interval]: <date: 0x7ffd22e18c60> Mon Feb 18 10:13:29 2013 CST (approx)
2/18/13 9:52:35.509 AM com.apple.time[13]: Requesting maintenance wake [Backup Interval]: <date: 0x7ffd22e18c60> Mon Feb 18 10:13:29 2013 CST (approx)
2/18/13 9:52:35.000 AM kernel[0]: USBF: 114270.109 AppleUSBOHCI[0xffffff802d686000]::Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5 seconds on bus 0x6, timing out! (Addr: 2, EP: 0)
2/18/13 9:52:35.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::_deviceGetReport - DeviceRequest for reportID 0x0 returned with result 0xe0004051 - retrying
2/18/13 9:52:35.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::_deviceGetReport - DeviceRequest for reportID 0x0 returned with result 0xe00002eb - retrying
2/18/13 9:52:35.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::_deviceGetReport - DeviceRequest returned error 0xe00002ed (interface 0, reportID 0x0)
2/18/13 9:52:35.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDebug: _deviceGetReport returned an error in configurePower
2/18/13 9:52:35.000 AM kernel[0]: USBF: 114270.547 AppleUSBHub[0xffffff802d75aa00]::Suspend - expected port to be suspended for conversion, but it is not!!
2/18/13 9:52:35.635 AM WindowServer[91]: post_notification : Time out waiting for reply from "BetterTouchTool" for notification type 102 (CID 0x2bce3, PID 8183)
2/18/13 9:52:35.640 AM WindowServer[91]: Created shield window 0x1351 for display 0x042730c0
2/18/13 9:52:35.640 AM WindowServer[91]: device_generate_desktop_screenshot: authw 0x7fe8a4cbff20(2004), shield 0x7fe8a4cbfbb0(2001)
2/18/13 9:52:35.653 AM WindowServer[91]: device_generate_lock_screen_screenshot: authw 0x7fe8a4cbff20(2004), shield 0x7fe8a4cbfbb0(2001)
2/18/13 9:52:35.719 AM netbiosd[84]: name servers down?
2/18/13 9:52:35.000 AM kernel[0]: AirPort_Brcm43xx::powerChange: System Sleep
2/18/13 9:52:35.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::_deviceGetReport - DeviceRequest returned error 0xe0004061 (interface 0, reportID 0x0)
2/18/13 9:52:35.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDebug: _deviceGetReport returned an error in configureDataMode
2/18/13 9:52:35.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::_deviceGetReport - DeviceRequest for reportID 0x0 returned with result 0xe0004061 - retrying
2/18/13 9:52:35.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::_deviceGetReport - DeviceRequest for reportID 0x0 returned with result 0xe0004061 - retrying
2/18/13 9:52:35.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::_deviceGetReport - DeviceRequest returned error 0xe0004061 (interface 0, reportID 0x0)
2/18/13 9:52:35.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDebug: _deviceGetReport returned an error in configurePower
2/18/13 9:52:35.000 AM kernel[0]: en1: BSSID changed to d8:c7:c8:69:74:98
2/18/13 9:52:35.000 AM kernel[0]: wlEvent: en1 en1 Link DOWN virtIf = 0
2/18/13 9:52:35.000 AM kernel[0]: AirPort: Link Down on en1. Reason 8 (Disassociated because station leaving).
2/18/13 9:52:35.000 AM kernel[0]: en1::IO80211Interface::postMessage bssid changed
2/18/13 9:52:36.918 AM configd[19]: setting hostname to "USERNAME.local"
2/18/13 9:52:36.923 AM configd[19]: network changed: v4(en1-:129.118.9.166) DNS- Proxy- SMB-
2/18/13 9:52:36.951 AM usbmuxd[411]: AMDeviceConnect (thread 0x100681000): Could not connect to lockdown port (62078) on device 132 - 98cbd9c7dcfc83468aa7cf7d551e72872a602dc7: 0xe8000084.
2/18/13 9:52:36.951 AM usbmuxd[411]: _AMDevicePreflightWorker (thread 0x100681000): Pair worker could not connect to lockdownd on device 132: 0xe8000084.
2/18/13 9:52:46.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBHub::setPowerState(0xffffff802d759800, 4 -> 2) timed out after 10288 ms
2/18/13 9:53:22.409 AM WindowServer[91]: handle_will_sleep_auth_and_shield_windows: no lock state data
2/18/13 9:52:46.000 AM kernel[0]: Wake reason: PWRB (User)
2/18/13 9:53:22.000 AM kernel[0]: AirPort_Brcm43xx::powerChange: System Wake - Full Wake/ Dark Wake / Maintenance wake
2/18/13 9:53:22.000 AM kernel[0]: Previous Sleep Cause: 5
2/18/13 9:53:24.238 AM AddressBookSourceSync[8177]: [CardDAVPlugin-ERROR] Exception caught while running sync with server: Error Domain=CoreDAVErrorDomain Code=1 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (CoreDAVErrorDomain error 1.)"
2/18/13 9:53:24.381 AM digest-service[8202]: label: default
2/18/13 9:53:24.381 AM digest-service[8202]: dbname: od:/Local/Default
2/18/13 9:53:24.381 AM digest-service[8202]: mkey_file: /var/db/krb5kdc/m-key
2/18/13 9:53:24.382 AM digest-service[8202]: acl_file: /var/db/krb5kdc/kadmind.acl
2/18/13 9:53:24.387 AM digest-service[8202]: digest-request: uid=0
2/18/13 9:53:24.496 AM rpcsvchost[8203]: sandbox_init: com.apple.msrpc.netlogon.sb succeeded
2/18/13 9:53:24.539 AM digest-service[8202]: digest-request: init request
2/18/13 9:53:24.545 AM digest-service[8202]: digest-request: init return domain: SOC-2 server: USERNAME
2/18/13 9:53:25.443 AM eapolclient[8174]: en1 STOP
2/18/13 9:53:25.936 AM eapolclient[8208]: en1 START
2/18/13 9:53:25.000 AM kernel[0]: MacAuthEvent en1 Auth result for: d8:c7:c8:69:74:98 MAC AUTH succeeded
2/18/13 9:53:25.000 AM kernel[0]: MacAuthEvent en1 Auth result for: d8:c7:c8:69:76:88 MAC AUTH succeeded
2/18/13 9:53:25.000 AM kernel[0]: wlEvent: en1 en1 Link UP virtIf = 0
2/18/13 9:53:25.000 AM kernel[0]: AirPort: Link Up on en1
2/18/13 9:53:25.000 AM kernel[0]: en1: BSSID changed to d8:c7:c8:69:76:88
2/18/13 9:53:25.000 AM kernel[0]: en1::IO80211Interface::postMessage bssid changed
2/18/13 9:53:26.039 AM eapolclient[8208]: en1 LEAP: successfully authenticated
2/18/13 9:53:26.000 AM kernel[0]: AirPort: RSN handshake complete on en1
2/18/13 9:53:26.098 AM configd[19]: network changed: v4(en1+:129.118.9.166) DNS+ Proxy+ SMB+
2/18/13 9:53:26.140 AM UserEventAgent[13]: Captive: en1: Not probing 'TTUnet' (protected network)
2/18/13 9:53:26.153 AM configd[19]: network changed: v4(en1!:129.118.9.166) DNS Proxy SMB
2/18/13 9:53:26.177 AM configd[19]: setting hostname to "soc-2.ttu.edu"
2/18/13 9:53:26.633 AM airportd[8201]: _doAutoJoin: Already associated to “TTUnet”. Bailing on auto-join.
2/18/13 9:53:26.708 AM airportd[8201]: _doAutoJoin: Already associated to “TTUnet”. Bailing on auto-join.
2/18/13 9:53:31.221 AM com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.smb.preferences) Throttling respawn: Will start in 4 seconds
2/18/13 9:53:31.222 AM com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.smb.preferences) Throttling respawn: Will start in 4 seconds
2/18/13 9:53:31.222 AM com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.smb.preferences) Throttling respawn: Will start in 4 seconds
2/18/13 9:53:31.243 AM com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.smb.preferences) Throttling respawn: Will start in 4 seconds
2/18/13 9:53:32.437 AM airportd[8201]: _doAutoJoin: Already associated to “TTUnet”. Bailing on auto-join.
2/18/13 9:53:32.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBHub::setPowerState(0xffffff802d759800, 2 -> 4) timed out after 10154 ms
2/18/13 9:53:32.000 AM kernel[0]: en1: BSSID changed to d8:c7:c8:69:76:88
2/18/13 9:53:32.949 AM Finder[193]: -[ABAddressBook save] failed. (<ABAddressBook: 0x7f850d800d00>)
2/18/13 9:53:33.771 AM netbiosd[84]: name servers down?
2/18/13 9:53:35.326 AM digest-service[8202]: digest-request: uid=0
2/18/13 9:53:35.326 AM digest-service[8202]: digest-request: init request
2/18/13 9:53:35.336 AM digest-service[8202]: digest-request: init return domain: USERNAME server: SOC-2
2/18/13 9:53:36.415 AM BetterTouchTool[8216]: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSUnregisterWindowWithSystemStatusBar: Invalid window
2/18/13 9:53:36.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::_deviceGetReport - DeviceRequest for reportID 0x0 returned with result 0xe0004061 - retrying
2/18/13 9:53:36.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::_deviceGetReport - DeviceRequest for reportID 0x0 returned with result 0xe0004061 - retrying
2/18/13 9:53:36.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::_deviceGetReport - DeviceRequest returned error 0xe0004061 (interface 0, reportID 0x0)
2/18/13 9:53:36.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDebug: _deviceGetReport returned an error in configureDataMode
2/18/13 9:53:40.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::_deviceGetReport - DeviceRequest for reportID 0x0 returned with result 0xe0004061 - retrying
2/18/13 9:53:40.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::_deviceGetReport - DeviceRequest for reportID 0x0 returned with result 0xe0004061 - retrying
2/18/13 9:53:40.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::_deviceGetReport - DeviceRequest returned error 0xe0004061 (interface 0, reportID 0x0)
2/18/13 9:53:40.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDebug: _deviceGetReport returned an error in configurePower
2/18/13 9:53:45.291 AM LKDCHelper[8223]: Starting (uid=501)
2/18/13 9:53:47.591 AM netbiosd[84]: name servers down?
2/18/13 9:53:56.703 AM usbmuxd[411]: AMDeviceConnect (thread 0x100719000): Could not connect to lockdown port (62078) on device 133 - 98cbd9c7dcfc83468aa7cf7d551e72872a602dc7: 0xe8000084.
2/18/13 9:53:56.704 AM usbmuxd[411]: _AMDevicePreflightWorker (thread 0x100719000): Pair worker could not connect to lockdownd on device 133: 0xe8000084.
2/18/13 9:53:56.704 AM com.apple.usbmuxd[411]: HandleDeviceAttachHelperCallback preflighting failed for WiFi device 0x85-129.118.9.29:0: 0xe8000084. Ignoring device.
2/18/13 9:54:10.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::handleSuspend - SuspendPort returned error 0xe00002e2.
2/18/13 9:54:16.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::_deviceGetReport - DeviceRequest for reportID 0x0 returned with result 0xe0004061 - retrying
2/18/13 9:54:16.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::_deviceGetReport - DeviceRequest for reportID 0x0 returned with result 0xe0004061 - retrying
2/18/13 9:54:16.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::_deviceGetReport - DeviceRequest returned error 0xe0004061 (interface 0, reportID 0x0)
2/18/13 9:54:16.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDebug: _deviceGetReport returned an error in configurePower
2/18/13 9:54:18.470 AM WindowServer[91]: Created shield window 0x1352 for display 0x042730c0
2/18/13 9:54:18.513 AM WindowServer[91]: device_generate_desktop_screenshot: authw 0x7fe8a4cbff20(2004), shield 0x7fe8a4cbfbb0(2001)
2/18/13 9:54:18.526 AM WindowServer[91]: device_generate_lock_screen_screenshot: authw 0x7fe8a4cbff20(2004), shield 0x7fe8a4cbfbb0(2001)
2/18/13 9:54:25.864 AM netbiosd[84]: name servers down?
2/18/13 9:54:46.253 AM com.apple.time[13]: Next maintenance wake [Backup Interval]: <date: 0x7ffd22e23260> Mon Feb 18 10:13:29 2013 CST (approx)
2/18/13 9:54:46.253 AM com.apple.time[13]: Requesting maintenance wake [Backup Interval]: <date: 0x7ffd22e23260> Mon Feb 18 10:13:29 2013 CST (approx)
2/18/13 9:54:46.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::handleSuspend - SuspendPort returned error 0xe00002e2.
2/18/13 9:54:46.000 AM kernel[0]: AirPort_Brcm43xx::powerChange: System Sleep
2/18/13 9:54:46.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::_deviceGetReport - DeviceRequest for reportID 0x0 returned with result 0xe0004061 - retrying
2/18/13 9:54:46.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::_deviceGetReport - DeviceRequest for reportID 0x0 returned with result 0xe0004061 - retrying
2/18/13 9:54:46.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::_deviceGetReport - DeviceRequest returned error 0xe0004061 (interface 0, reportID 0x0)
2/18/13 9:54:46.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBMultitouchDebug: _deviceGetReport returned an error in configurePower
2/18/13 9:54:46.000 AM kernel[0]: en1: BSSID changed to d8:c7:c8:69:76:88
2/18/13 9:54:46.000 AM kernel[0]: wlEvent: en1 en1 Link DOWN virtIf = 0
2/18/13 9:54:46.000 AM kernel[0]: AirPort: Link Down on en1. Reason 8 (Disassociated because station leaving).
2/18/13 9:54:46.000 AM kernel[0]: en1::IO80211Interface::postMessage bssid changed
2/18/13 9:54:47.579 AM configd[19]: setting hostname to "USERNAME.local"
2/18/13 9:54:47.584 AM configd[19]: network changed: v4(en1-:129.118.9.166) DNS- Proxy- SMB-
2/18/13 9:54:56.000 AM kernel[0]: AppleUSBHub::setPowerState(0xffffff802d759800, 4 -> 2) timed out after 10303 ms
2/18/13 9:55:03.012 AM loginwindow[60]: ERROR | -[LWScreenLock(Private) screenIsLockedTimeExpired:] | No lock state found, use built in check
2/18/13 9:55:03.416 AM WindowServer[91]: handle_will_sleep_auth_and_shield_windows: no lock state data
2/18/13 9:55:03.496 AM loginwindow[60]: resume called when there was already a timer
2/18/13 9:54:56.000 AM kernel[0]: Wake reason: PWRB (User)
2/18/13 9:55:03.000 AM kernel[0]: AirPort_Brcm43xx::powerChange: System Wake - Full Wake/ Dark Wake / Maintenance wake
2/18/13 9:55:03.000 AM kernel[0]: Previous Sleep Cause: 5
2/18/13 9:55:05.286 AM digest-service[8234]: label: default
2/18/13 9:55:05.286 AM digest-service[8234]: dbname: od:/Local/Default
2/18/13 9:55:05.286 AM digest-service[8234]: mkey_file: /var/db/krb5kdc/m-key
2/18/13 9:55:05.286 AM digest-service[8234]: acl_file: /var/db/krb5kdc/kadmind.acl
2/18/13 9:55:05.289 AM digest-service[8234]: digest-request: uid=0
2/18/13 9:55:05.307 AM digest-service[8234]: digest-request: init request
2/18/13 9:55:05.309 AM digest-service[8234]: digest-request: init return domain: SOC-2 server: USERNAME
2/18/13 9:55:06.272 AM eapolclient[8208]: en1 STOP

[And then I restarted the computer]

ZVH

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2012
Hi:

New to the discussion. Scannerz only does reads on drives and monitors timing, so it can't hurt anything. I'd ignore the errors in the log files because Mountain Lion is reporting so many errors on so many things even when its working right you almost can't tell what's right and what's wrong.

In another site somewhere (not this one and I don't remember where) Scannerz was picking up timing errors caused by an intermittent short in a FireWire connector even though the problem was detected during an internal HD test. Eventually the port blew. Moral of the story: Scannerz doesn't miss ANYTHING. It will pick up bad sectors, marginal sectors, and erratic timing errors. If it hasn't picked anything up on a few tests then you're out of the "intermittent contact/bad cable/logic board trace bad/connector" being the problem ball park - which is good, because those are the most difficult types of problems to troubleshoot. Unless you actually have bad blocks in the SSD beyond the 10G demo limit, it's something else. The only way you could clarify it would be to run a scan on the entire drive.

...and now for the bad news...

I did, however, find another post that may be of use to you:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1415481/

I would go through that thread (maybe you did already) and see if the problems they're having are like yours.

To me it looks like SSDs are a lot like Chiropractors - some people swear by them, some people swear at them.

ObeseSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
Hi:

New to the discussion. Scannerz only does reads on drives and monitors timing, so it can't hurt anything. I'd ignore the errors in the log files because Mountain Lion is reporting so many errors on so many things even when its working right you almost can't tell what's right and what's wrong.

In another site somewhere (not this one and I don't remember where) Scannerz was picking up timing errors caused by an intermittent short in a FireWire connector even though the problem was detected during an internal HD test. Eventually the port blew. Moral of the story: Scannerz doesn't miss ANYTHING. It will pick up bad sectors, marginal sectors, and erratic timing errors. If it hasn't picked anything up on a few tests then you're out of the "intermittent contact/bad cable/logic board trace bad/connector" being the problem ball park - which is good, because those are the most difficult types of problems to troubleshoot. Unless you actually have bad blocks in the SSD beyond the 10G demo limit, it's something else. The only way you could clarify it would be to run a scan on the entire drive.

...and now for the bad news...

I did, however, find another post that may be of use to you:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1415481/

I would go through that thread (maybe you did already) and see if the problems they're having are like yours.

To me it looks like SSDs are a lot like Chiropractors - some people swear by them, some people swear at them.

I have had freezes, but very rarely. Usually it's the wake from sleep issue as stated above, or it's Dashboard related.

My particular SSD has a Marvell-based controller, if that's relevant. SATA on my Mac is NVIDIA.

I'll look at that thread in more detail this evening, and will probably try to see if I can trigger the i/o crash again with Scannerz as well.

I tried to do an Apple Hardware test with the Snow Leopard disk that came with my computer, but the computer just ejected it and booted normally. (I had been able to use AHT previously, and may or may have used it when this issue started back in October. I can't remember.)

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I don't think that has any relevance to your other (main) problem HOWEVER I do see some interesting things* in there.

If you can, I'd take your MBP to the TTUnet support folks in person and describe the issues you've been having waking from sleep. They may want to see those console logs.

* looks like something is programmatically taking screenshots of your desktop and login screens. If this isn't you doing this, perhaps it's some sort of security measure your school's put in place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.