Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UG.Frontera

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
United Kingdom
I've seen a MBA on a local website for £650 it has a 120SSD, 4gb Ram, 4000 graphics and 1.8 i5. Just wondering if it's worth it. As to me it sounds too good to cheap.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I wouldn't consider it. The drive is too small and the RAM too low. These babies can't be user upgraded so I wouldn't consider buying anything with less than 256GB storage and 8GB RAM.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
According to the UK website, refurbs are going for $849, so yours seems like a pretty good deal. You are saving 200 pounds.

Of course, there are the associated risks (who knows what flaws may be inherent in the machine). How reputable is that website? Could simply be a genuine case of the seller in a rush to offload his laptop.

UG.Frontera

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
United Kingdom
According to the UK website, refurbs are going for $849, so yours seems like a pretty good deal. You are saving 200 pounds.

Of course, there are the associated risks (who knows what flaws may be inherent in the machine). How reputable is that website? Could simply be a genuine case of the seller in a rush to offload his laptop.

Yeah I took a look at it and the screen was really weird.. Looked like it was water damaged or something so I passed.

I've looks on amazon £750 doesn't seem to bad.

Is that a good deal?

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I wouldn't consider it. The drive is too small and the RAM too low. These babies can't be user upgraded so I wouldn't consider buying anything with less than 256GB storage and 8GB RAM.
You're partially right. The storage can be upgraded quite easily yourself. The RAM, not so much (though possible if you had the right tools to desolder and resolder chips!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.