Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I owned an iPad 2 that was used between an iPhone and an iMac. While I found it to be a really nice device, I couldn't get over the fact that it seemed too redundant with my iPhone and not as powerful as my iMac.

So, I ended up selling it because to me it was just a luxury device that wasn't really needed. Now, as it's gotten better over time, does anyone really get by with an iPad as their only computing device - meaning you do not own a Mac or PC?

If so, what if you need to edit a resume on it and apply for jobs? I can imagine that while Pages works ok, it's not ideal for resume writing, and there are probably countless company career sites that won't let you apply via a touch screen device. How do you get around that? Seems like a hassle.:confused:

AssassainOfJoy

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
Nowhere Particular
Until yesterday (when I finally picked up an iPad Mini), I used an iPad 2 as my sole personal computer for the last year. I use it for programming and web development, writing, and lots of research. Apart from image editing (which I don't often need to do), I don't miss using a traditional PC at all.

Regarding resumes: I've never had to write one, though if I did I'd either use iA Writer and export to HTML or QuickOffice if it had to be Word compatible.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Won't let you? Why would they block tablet users?

This is a very common design anti-pattern that has been gaining steam for years now. Many sites detect mobile Safari and force you view a mobile version with limited functionality - while not providing a "switch to full site" option. To make matters worse, they often use this anti-pattern to force you to download their app, which frequently doesn't have all the functionality or content of their site.

You can't get around this in Safari, but Chrome for iOS will allow you to spoof the web sites into thinking you're coming from a desktop browser. This is a tremendous help if you're trying to make the iPad your primary PC.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
That's like using a microwave as a replacement for your oven - there are things that can be done equally well, but many others that don't work at all.

Speczorz

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2010
The iPad will never replace my mac, I mostly use it for browsing while on the go or relaxing on the couch. Not enough power and eventually I find the need to go back to a bigger screen.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
Do you use an iPad as your only computer?

I sure as hell want to! **** PC's/Macs! ;)

It almost worked perfectly, but at the time BTC mouse was just released when I first tried it and had a bug that's since been fixed. Don't listen to the haters because it most definitely CAN be done quite easily.

Hope my earlier thread on this same topic helps : Bye Bye Laptop! Jailbroken iPad here I come!

I also started another thread a few days ago on the same topic for the iPad mini : 4G iPad mini + dumbphone >>>>> PC + iPhone?

As for uploading your resume to websites on an iPad, simply use the app iUploader. Works perfect :)

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I use my iPad far more than I use my MacBook Pro, but there are still some things that I can't do on my iPad, or that would be much more difficult:

- Organizing and editing a large (~5,000) photo library. Although apps such as SnapSeed are powerful enough for the editing I do, I really need Aperture to manage my library. And since I need a Mac for that, I use Photoshop Elements for the Mac for filters that Aperture doesn't have. If iOS ever gets an easy-to-use file system, my iPad might be enough.

- Logic Pro. No iPad music app comes close to having its power.

- Typing long documents. I still prefer a physical keyboard. Yes, I could buy a Bluetooth keyboard for my iPad, but for quickly moving around a document and setting insertion points, a mouse is much easier than my finger.

- Anything where having a large external monitor is helpful, such as the above applications.

I don't do the above on a daily basis, though. For daily Web-surfing, Facebook, e-mail, etc., I always go to my iPad.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
you cannot replace anytype of computer with an tablet.

not yet atleast, and for a tablet to have every functionality as a computer is going to take i dont know a 100 years?

and im talking about programming, gaming, setting up servers, etc etc.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
That's like using a microwave as a replacement for your oven - there are things that can be done equally well, but many others that don't work at all.

Um I don't have an oven in my 2k+ square foot house. A micro wave does the job very well. Also along with the microwave, I use a mini toaster/oven, two in one to save space (even though I have tons of space in my house).

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
Um I don't have an oven in my 2k+ square foot house. A micro wave does the job very well. Also along with the microwave, I use a mini toaster/oven, two in one to save space (even though I have tons of space in my house).

Some people just don't have the vision to see that there are other options out there, including the idea of using the iPad as your only computer. I'm glad you do abyss :)

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
you cannot replace anytype of computer with an tablet.

not yet atleast, and for a tablet to have every functionality as a computer is going to take i dont know a 100 years?

and im talking about programming, gaming, setting up servers, etc etc.

Yeah, right. The 1.9 billion average computer users do that every day. Therefore, a tablet can NEVER replace computers for people every day.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
My iPad 2 is not a replacement for my MBP or Windows PC because I need either MBP or PC for digital picture work with Wacom tablet. :apple:

superpepino

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2011
Useful for school

i've found using the iPad more useful for school compared to bringing my macbook air for taking notes or saving my textbooks but there's just certain things i prefer on my laptop that i just can't go without.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
No, but ipad4 is what I use most. I use everything in my sig for different things, and iPads haven't reached a point where I could be without a computer, and i could never have just a phone. but the ipads are not toys, I use them for work and they've opened up some new ways of working. Love the iPad4, a brilliant machine.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Nope. I use the iPad for casual browsing, media consumption (magazines, books, newspapers) and as my Xfinity Remote and DVR manager.

I still pull out my MacBook Pro for work and other more involved activities.

With that said; this topic will go in circles since people's levels of use of technology is so diverse.

bobbysmith

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Um, I don't have a computer. An iPad does the job very well. Also along with the iPad, I use a laptop.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Um, I don't have a computer. An iPad does the job very well. Also along with the iPad, I use a laptop.
I'm confused - a laptop is a computer, so you do use a computer in conjunction with your laptop.

I've said this before, for me I cannot use an iPad in place of my computer. My needs are best handled by a laptop not a tablet. I love my mini but I won't try to use it in a way that its not its strength

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
My iPad gets more use than my computer, but there's no way I could ever replace my computer with my iPad. The iPad is a great consumption device, but it's a terrible awful horrible production device. For example, right now I'm transcoding about 55 GB of video. Beside the fact that I don't even have that much space on my iPad, I can't imagine trying to do this with my iPad, if it even were possible. I also use production apps like FCPX, AfterEffects, and Photoshop. None of that is possible on an iPad either. Even Pages is not as full-featured as the desktop version.

In short, the iPad is a great device, and if all you do is consumption, you might be able to replace your computer with it. But if you do a lot of production of anything, an iPad still isn't up to snuff.

maflynn hit it, your laptop IS a computer. There's nothing you can do with a desktop that you can't do with a laptop apart from power limitations (which may or may not be present, depending on what laptop you got).

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
An iPad can't replace a computer efficiently, or at all really. I planned on having an iMac and iPad combo for school, but that isn't working out as an iPad isn't productive enough at all.

JohnIV

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
My iPad gets more use than my computer, but there's no way I could ever replace my computer with my iPad. The iPad is a great consumption device, but it's a terrible awful horrible production device.

Depends on what you produce I'd say, things like outlines and shorter texts (like this post, a youtube comment, or just notes of any kind) work very well on the iPad. That's not heavy-weight production perhaps, but I do those things a lot.

And same here, the iPad gets most time but I'll keep my laptops and desktop for now...

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Depends on what you produce I'd say, things like outlines and shorter texts (like this post, a youtube comment, or just notes of any kind) work very well on the iPad. That's not heavy-weight production perhaps, but I do those things a lot.

YouTube and Facebook posts generally still fall under consumption. I do realize that it can be part of your business, but I think by and large it's consumption.

Low-level production is certainly possible. I've been using my iPad at work for taking notes, making storyboards (with Paper by 53, it excels at this), and all sorts of things like that. So I guess it's not quite as bad at production as I said, but it's still no computer replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.