Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I've already pointed out the differences but you're choosing to ignore them.

no I am not. I am pointing out that an app can steal information in ios as well because the os also allows it when you accept the prompt( like you said about android).

btw: why the hypocrisy? i.e. ios users will bother to read the prompt and not android users.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Jelly Bean 4.1.1 vs. iOS 6

no I am not. I am pointing out that an app can steal information in ios as well because the os also allows it when you accept the prompt( like you said about android).

btw: why the hypocrisy? i.e. ios users will bother to read the prompt and not android users.

There is no hypocrisy. I've already explained this, but here we go again...

On Android, you have to read a big list of permissions for EVERY app you install. If you don't read them all, then you could be granting who knows what permissions.

On iOS, you install apps without a care in the world, knowing that the OS will prompt you if the app requests permissions from you. The OS will only prompt you if the app requests permissions; for apps that don't need permissions, there will be no prompt.

Surely you can now see which one users are more likely to notice and which one takes up less time. Like I said, if I'm installing hundreds of apps I don't have time to read the permissions for everything; who does?!

If you're like me, you install apps one after the other sometimes, so in Android you would have to read a lot of information while you're installing the apps. In iOS you'd just go ahead and install them, and it would only ask for your permission when you actually go to use those apps, so there is less to read at any given time.

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
There is no hypocrisy. I've already explained this, but here we go again...

On Android, you have to read a big list of permissions for EVERY app you install. If you don't read them all, then you could be granting who knows what permissions.

On iOS, you install apps without a care in the world, knowing that the OS will prompt you if the app requests permissions from you. The OS will only prompt you if the app requests permissions; for apps that don't need permissions, there will be no prompt.

Surely you can now see which one users are more likely to notice and which one takes up less time. Like I said, if I'm installing hundreds of apps I don't have time to read the permissions for everything; who does?!

If you're like me, you install apps one after the other sometimes, so in Android you would have to read a lot of information while you're installing the apps. In iOS you'd just go ahead and install them, and it would only ask for your permission when you actually go to use those apps, so there is less to read at any given time.

is it half empty or half full?

The permission prompts in ios are so frequent that user tend to click allow automatically. furthermore if an app is a potential malware, why would you let it execute before you can discover whether it is harmful. that's stupid. In Android you know all permissions upfront before you even install the app.

Anyway if one is so concerned about security there are many app profiler in Android that categorize apps based on risk. In addition there are virus/malware scanner that further enhances security. No such apps exist in ios so users are left in the dark.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
likewise. I still use icloud for my contacts, but also downloaded "contact sync" to merge them with my google account

Yep I use both and it works so perfectly; in fact often my Nexus 7 will get calendar and contact updates often faster than my iPhone does.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
So the greatest OS in the history of mankind can't natively sync iCloud stuff, but iOS can natively sync Google stuff. It took me about two days to discover this, but golly does Android have **** tons of widgets! Wow, I swear the only thing Android users talk about is the widgets and the CPU.

Ask any Android fanboy what the CPU is on their device and they spit it out faster than a pistol bullet. They are proud of the quad core Tegra whatever and the widgets and stuff, but basic functionality like syncing iCloud stuff is not there.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
So the greatest OS in the history of mankind can't natively sync iCloud stuff, but iOS can natively sync Google stuff. It took me about two days to discover this, but golly does Android have **** tons of widgets! Wow, I swear the only thing Android users talk about is the widgets and the CPU.

Ask any Android fanboy what the CPU is on their device and they spit it out faster than a pistol bullet. They are proud of the quad core Tegra whatever and the widgets and stuff, but basic functionality like syncing iCloud stuff is not there.
I have seen plenty of ignorant posts here but this just about takes the cake.

Apple deliberately doesn't play with others so it is everyone else's fault. Now I have heard it all.... good lord. :rolleyes:

Michael

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011

Just like windows machines cannot run OS X. Not because they can't, but because apple doesn't allow it.

Blame it all on your uncle apple, not competitors for keeping it so tight.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Just like windows machines cannot run OS X. Not because they can't, but because apple doesn't allow it.

Blame it all on your uncle apple, not competitors for keeping it so tight.

Actually, Windows machines can run OS X. And Macs can run Windows. Getting OS X onto a Windows machine involves a few hacks, not so getting Windows on a Mac.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Actually, Windows machines can run OS X. And Macs can run Windows. Getting OS X onto a Windows machine involves a few hacks, not so getting Windows on a Mac.

Yeah but is it legal? Does apple actually allow it? Is there a boot camp to run OS X on wintel? That's my point.

You can run windows without any legal problems or technical blocks because Microsoft simply sells you the license and is fine with whether you run it on a Mac or Dell.

Running Xcode on a hackintosh machine is still hell. Apple simply doesn't want anything apple related to run unless you pay them an extra few hundred to buy their equipment (I am 100 % confident my $350 core 2 duo laptop can handle lion and Xcode without issues if they were allowed to run properly).

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

iCloud is proprietary to Apple. Just like FaceTime, iMessage, apple maps, AirPlay etc.

Look how many apps Google has in the iOS AppStore. Now look how many Apple has in Google play.

Apples never allowed other companies access or at least easy access to their software unless they can make profit from it, iTunes.

Don't get upset with Google because Apple restricts access to their services from 3rd parties.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013

well lets see android is OPEN source and ios is locked down.go play with your same ringtones and same wallpapers you have had for the past 6 years.

blaming android for not syncing to a locked down system....just sad

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
ADMIN NOTE:

There are so many rules violations and so much bickering in this thread that we've closed it for extensive clean-up (which will probably go on over the next days).

It will be reopened once we work our way through it, but until then no other threads on the subject should be created.

Edit: We've spent a considerable amount of time going through this thread, but the number of problematic posts is simply too great. We're going to leave the thread locked, with apologies to those of you who were genuinely interested in a discussion comparing the two OSs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.