Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
I want a weather app that can link to the maps app and the global positioning system as well as real time radar connected to the facetime camera with raindrop recognition, so that if I'm caught out in a light shower my ipod will direct me home via the best route to dodge the raindrops as they are falling in real time thus arriving home almost completely dry.

I don't really want that I just made it up. But now that I think about it...

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
if I'm caught out in a light shower my ipod will direct me home via the best route to dodge the raindrops as they are falling in real time thus arriving home almost completely dry.

"Walk forward 5 steps. Leap forward. Slow down. Do a barrel roll."

Pretty sure that your best solution if you want to arrive home completely dry is always going to be to only walk in covered walkways or wait out the storm inside somewhere.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Why does it keep crashing when I swipe then? Not glitchy? It is for me.

well i guess you're just out of luck:) been using this app for the last three years and it always worked like a charm. Plus the forecast is the most accurate of all apps ive seen so far

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Yay another app that does the same thing as the built in weather app except with a crappy interface, no functional advantage, and I get the privilege of paying for it too? What a great deal! Honestly, 4 years after the opening of the App Store and this website is promoting a frickin useless eye candy weather app? This is a joke. If this is the type of crap that gets iphone users excited, then apple REALLY needs to start redesigning this OS asap. I feel like its still 2009 sometimes when I come here.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Ugh. Too much glitz and not enough substance.

All of this belies the issue that the weather forecasts simply are not very accurate. Looking at the sky and saying tomorrow will probably be the same as today with a chance of being different is more reliable.

sagnier

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Like Clear, this app is a gimmicky version of something that should be quite simple. It's essentially dull information, and adding gestures just makes the task of finding it more annoying.

It's the opposite of when I use a paper map and find myself doing pinches to zoom in or out. That gesture feels entirely natural. But here I'm forced to use them, and they feel entirely unnatural.

But...it'll survive or it wont. Good luck to the developer. Probably the cute name and the 'novelty' of being gesture-based means it'll do well initially.

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Is there a weather app that shows hourly for each day? Like the weather channel app. Stock weather doesnt show it (only for the day). I find my self deleting the weather channel app & always redownloading it bc of that feature. Any alternatives?

sagnier

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Is there a weather app that shows hourly for each day? Like the weather channel app. Stock weather doesnt show it (only for the day). I find my self deleting the weather channel app & always redownloading it bc of that feature. Any alternatives?

Stock weather app does do hourly, at least for the current day. Swipe down on the day.

Met Office app is very good, but UK only perhaps.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Yay another app that does the same thing as the built in weather app except with a crappy interface, no functional advantage, and I get the privilege of paying for it too? What a great deal! Honestly, 4 years after the opening of the App Store and this website is promoting a frickin useless eye candy weather app? This is a joke. If this is the type of crap that gets iphone users excited, then apple REALLY needs to start redesigning this OS asap. I feel like its still 2009 sometimes when I come here.

You must be incredibly bored. No one's forcing you to buy it. How much time did you waste constructing your post? And if you hate this site so very much, there's the door! :D

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
You must be incredibly bored. No one's forcing you to buy it. How much time did you waste constructing your post? And if you hate this site so very much, there's the door! :D

My words seem to bother you, buyer's remorse?

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Exactly. Gestures are the new keyboard shortcut!

Gesture-heavy apps can LOOK cool (see: Metro) but except for a few very standard gestures (cross-out delete, pinch zoom, pull to reload) they shouldn't be necessary for anything.

I consider these gesture apps novelties. I salute them, but they're not the future.

Well, to be fair, those gestures are only "standard" because you're used to them. Theoretically, gesture-based apps should be intuitive if they were designed correctly. Gestures are the future/now*, but improperly designed gesture-based apps aren't.

*Remember that two finger scroll, swipe for next/last, two finger tap, three finger swipes on OSX, and more are gestures that we use every day.

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
"Walk forward 5 steps. Leap forward. Slow down. Do a barrel roll."

Pretty sure that your best solution if you want to arrive home completely dry is always going to be to only walk in covered walkways or wait out the storm inside somewhere.

Or to do barrel rolls exclusively. But most people don't know that. :cool:

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Thank you macrumors for making me waste 99c. No big deal, but this app is not unique what so ever. It forces me to take extra steps to give me info that should be presented as soon as I tap the app. Also, to add insult to injury, you need to know what gesture to perform to get the desired info. According to Apple, average iPhone user has 500 apps, and if they all used unique gestures, we would all be frustrated with our phones.

fujitsu

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
Thank you macrumors for making me waste 99c. No big deal, but this app is not unique what so ever. It forces me to take extra steps to give me info that should be presented as soon as I tap the app.

That's the problem with gesture-controlled apps as some might frustrate you. Users want the info immediately.

Anyway, A+ for the design as I like the minimalistic look. :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Thank you macrumors for making me waste 99c. No big deal, but this app is not unique what so ever. It forces me to take extra steps to give me info that should be presented as soon as I tap the app. Also, to add insult to injury, you need to know what gesture to perform to get the desired info. According to Apple, average iPhone user has 500 apps, and if they all used unique gestures, we would all be frustrated with our phones.

Whaaaa!? The MR editors came to your house gangsta-style & held a knife to your throat until you pressed the "purchase" button. That's awful. We MR participants need to stand up to bullying tactics like this. :D

Seriously, bit dramatic to blame MR, or anyone else, for your personal decision, no? Understand about being "bit" by a bad app and wanting to lash out though. Buying a bad app is annoying whether it's .99 or $99. There should be a 30 min. return period. That might encourage devs to not push out junk that only looks beautiful.

Thanks for the mini-review. THAT is something the MR editors should have included in the post. AS-IS, it is more of an "advertorial," so thumbs down to the MR guys in that regard.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Whaaaa!? The MR editors came to your house gangsta-style & held a knife to your throat until you pressed the "purchase" button. That's awful. We MR participants need to stand up to bullying tactics like this. :D

Seriously, bit dramatic to blame MR, or anyone else, for your personal decision, no? Understand about being "bit" by a bad app and wanting to lash out though. Buying a bad app is annoying whether it's .99 or $99. There should be a 30 min. return period. That might encourage devs to not push out junk that only looks beautiful.

Thanks for the mini-review. THAT is something the MR editors should have included in the post. AS-IS, it is more of an "advertorial," so thumbs down to the MR guys in that regard.

Actually, I've purchased plenty of $99 apps and I'm very happy with them (missingstep). IMO, apple needs to show us videos instead of just pictures. Let devs insert a video demonstrating their app. The trial thing is stupid, there are many apps that can be "used up" in 15 minutes, plus I support the devs for bringing us such great apps that are not available in any other platform (yes it's a jab at android #).

timborama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
It's a nice looking app, if you only care about weather in ONE location. Needs to support multiple locations. These guys definitely riding the weather app wave, as they make several. All with different features and looks. But not one provide ALL the data they gather... unfortunate.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
My words seem to bother you, buyer's remorse?

Nope. You're the one that's not only complaining about the app that you don't want, but also this site. No one needs such nonsense. If you feel the need to complain for the sake of complaining, it would do everyone a favor for you to go on another site where they only speak about something that YOU like and agree with you all the time. Otherwise, you're no better than that annoying woman at the next table in a restaurant who complains about her bad meal. In that case also, I don't care to listen to it.

MGCP

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
What are these "gestures" that people are stuggling with? You swipe left or right to access additional screens relating to rainfall and daylight. You pull down to access 5 day a forecast, push up to update and tap the big button in the middle to get more detailed info.

Am I missing something? These are basic swipes and taps, nothing new or unusual here to need "learning" or confuse anyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.