Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Ive just imported 10GB of pictures to iphoto and 100GB of music to itunes and it takes now taken up extra HDD space on its library.

Its like its created duplicate files or something.

Is this normal ?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ive just imported 10GB of pictures to iphoto and 100GB of music to itunes and it takes now taken up extra HDD space on its library.

Its like its created duplicate files or something.

Is this normal ?
Yep. iPhoto > Preferences > Advanced > Copy items to the iPhoto Library (uncheck if you prefer)

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Yep. iPhoto > Preferences > Advanced > Copy items to the iPhoto Library (uncheck if you prefer)

Will i still able to view all my pics albums through iphoto if i uncheck do i still need to import ? also is that the same for music on itunes ?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Will i still able to view all my pics albums through iphoto if i uncheck do i still need to import ? also is that the same for music on itunes ?

You will still be able to do so, unless you move the pictures to another folder or place. The same goes for iTunes.

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
You will still be able to do so, unless you move the pictures to another folder or place. The same goes for iTunes.

OK. unchecked on iphoto and then imported 10GB pics, its now created 700MB in the library instead of duplicating 10GB.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So that's OK then. Just remember not to delete those pictures from where they are now.

Personally I would recommend to consolidate all music files in iTunes, and delete the originals once iTunes has copied them, while obviously having a Time Machine backup in case you make a mistake.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada

I just like checked out of curiosty and there is not an option to uncheck this in aperture I guess ? I don't want to do it,just wanted to know-when I looked in aperture preferences,couldn't find this option.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Personally I would recommend to consolidate all music files in iTunes, and delete the originals once iTunes has copied them
So do I, but the OP is giving the impression that he's importing items from Finder and doesn't want iTunes/iPhoto to copy items to the Libraries and taking up extra HDD space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.