Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milesjohnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2012
So I actually just got a brand new iPhone 5 two days ago due to a faulty lock button and tried to see if I could trade it for a black one in the store but they could not

but after comparing both I'm really starting to like the sleekness of the black iPhone 5. I originally chose the white because I had never owned a white iPhone with my previous ones. but now I'm starting to like the black one

should I search around on Craigslist for a black one and risk having a not as good condition as my new iPhone now? or would you just stick with the white.

I'm really sort of set on the black now though :( what other options are there?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'm in the same position - always had black and when to white for the 5, just to change it up. Now I miss the black, which is what I'll get whenever I upgrade again. But not gonna bother trying to trade for the current generation; it's not that big of a deal to me.

ericDylan

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
I have been having the same thoughts go through my head. I got the white iPhone because it matches my MBA and iPad, but I would trade for a black on in a heartbeat if it didn't. I don't know why, but having a silver iPad (silver/white) and MacBook with a black iPhone just doesnt sit well with me. I don't like things not matching :( make life much harder

edit: Black anodized MBA, iPad, and iPhone would be amazing and I would buy all three the second they hit the market! The only one left to go black is the MBA (assuming the next iPad comes in the same color options as the current iPad mini)

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
I bought a white 5 launch day for the first time. I always bought black but decided to change it up.

I missed the black so I found a guy on CL and did a straight swap. It took a couple weeks to find one that was mint like my white. But I'm happy now with the black.

White is nice but just not my preference.

milesjohnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2012
found a guy on cl. what do you think. it's not in perfect condition.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 164

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
already tried that he said he'd rather not

Meh, it's up to you then. If you really want a black and can live with the scuffs, go for it. You'll be taking a loss obviously. Personally, I'd wait for the right person to come along that can either give cash on top or trade a mint black one.

Good luck.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
I'd wait for a cleaner one. There are SO many iPhones out there. I trade on CL a lot, trust me, it's worth the wait.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Also, only do the trade at a corporate carrier store. It's super safe that way. That's the only way I ever meet people.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
Wait for the next generation iPhone. Apple will most likely have learnt and corrected the scuffing scandal of the black iPhone 5.

Last edited by a moderator:

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Would not swap a phone on CL, there could be something wrong with the other phone that you cant immediately tell. Too risky.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
hahahah

Hell no. I'd buy a white iPhone. I like the silver aluminium and it doesn't scratch off to reveal other colors underneath :D

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I have white iPhone5, iPad2 and iPad Mini. Had it for the iPhone4, too. Prior to that, all my phones were black. I really like the white, but the bottom line is that you will likely have a case on your phone and not much of the original color will show. So, to me, it's not a big deal.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
found a guy on cl. what do you think. it's not in perfect condition.

If you insist on getting a used black iP5, at least find one that has been in a case. A scuffed up black phone looks much worse than a white one. Forget that one. :cool:

HNfan

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Atlanta
Just keep your white one

You can get a different color when the next one comes out. Or sell your and buy a new iPhone 5 black. Too risky to trade unless you know the person well.

milesjohnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2012
so i got another offer this time someone wanting to trade their 64 gig black iPhone 5. they say that the volume down button does not work but that they have a 1 year warranty on it. how can i confirm such? is this likely the case? will i be able to just walk it into apple and get a new iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.