Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
I know there are post on how to copy drives but my situation is unique, I've never done this before and I want to make sure I do it the right way.

My wife has a white (7,1) macbook and I have a 2011 air.

I bought her 8gbs of ram and a 128gb owc ssd.
I got myself a 180 gb owc ssd for extra storage.

I want to copy the hard drives currently in the computer to the new ones.
Should I put the new drives in the enclosures and allow them to copy before installing them? Or should I install them and boot from the enclosure?

What is the best software to use? I've heard a lot about carbon copy but was curious if the license would work on both macs or if I'd have to buy 2 license. Or if disk utility is sufficient for this task?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Get the SSDs and put them in an enclosure for 2.5" SSDs and the adapter you probably get with the OWC kit.
Format the new SSDs properly:
Then download and install CarbonCopyCloner (version 3.4.7 is still free and available for download and works with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion) and select the internal HDD/SSD as source and the external SSD as target. Then press clone and wait.
Once the cloning process is complete, switch the drives and upon starting your Mac and once booted into Mac OS X, make sure that in System Preferences > Startup Disk*, the correct SSD is set.
2012_01_14_pD1_SysPref-StartupDisk.png

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
  • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
  • 1. Getting a new HDD
  • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
  • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
  • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
The link says that version 3.4.7 doesn't support mountain lion. Ill try it since its free though.

Nov 28, 2010
located
The link says that version 3.4.7 doesn't support mountain lion. Ill try it since its free though.

It also does state, that it does not support Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, but it does, and the versions before 3.4.7, when it was still free, supported Mac OS X 10.7 Lion quite well.
Only when it became version 3.5 and had to be paid for some months ago, 3.4.7 suddenly became that old. It works. And even if not, you can always use the trial of 3.5 they offer. Or SuperDuper!.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Once the cloning process is complete, switch the drives and upon starting your Mac and once booted into Mac OS X, ...

I recommend testing that the cloned drive is bootable BEFORE moving it into the laptop. It's much easier to recover if anything does turn out badly.

Personally, I'd boot from the external clone and run it for at least a day or so before disassembling the laptop and installing the cloned drive.

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
A warning pops up and says, " if you intend to use the designation volume as a primary startup disk, you should create a Recovery HD partition on that disk". What do I do?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
A warning pops up and says, " if you intend to use the designation volume as a primary startup disk, you should create a Recovery HD partition on that disk". What do I do?

Tell it yes you want a Recovery HD on the drive. This will create a recovery partition on the new drive should you ever need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.