Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
It's impossible for any company to release software without bugs, with the possible exception of some very small and simple programs. The only question is how fast does the company come out with fixes once the bugs become known, and Apple is doing a good job at that. If you still think that they can release something bug free then why don't you learn to program and try to make an OS that is completely free of bugs...

I actually highly respect Apple for acknowledging these bugs and for them rolling a update to fix these issues in less then a week from when they were reported

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What about battery life? :( My iPhone 5 with 6.1 could just stay over 20% in 1 day, 5 hours and 6 hours usage.
If your phone is at 20% with 6 hours of usage and 1 day and 5 hours of standby, it would seem that your battery usage is actually at least fine, if not even somewhat above average.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I wonder if limited update means it'll still be jailbreakable or will jailbreak patching be part of the security updates?
Will it break the Jail Break?
I think the Evaders said that they still had more entry points so they will be able to keep Evading.
eu7GqCk.gif

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
It's impossible for any company to release software without bugs, with the possible exception of some very small and simple programs. The only question is how fast does the company come out with fixes once the bugs become known, and Apple is doing a good job at that. If you still think that they can release something bug free then why don't you learn to program and try to make an OS that is completely free of bugs...
If patients have a nasty habit of dying on one doctors' watch more than the others, I don't need to be a doctor to know they suck at their job. Apple needs to step up their testing BEFORE they release these updates. I didn't say it had to be perfect.

I also am happy Apple is quick to fix such issues, but it doesn't show me they're doing a good job. It shows me they're very good at making the same mistake consistently. I expect better is all.

:cool:

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Yeah, long live Android, the stable and completely bug free alternative that never needs patches! And long live Blackberry and Windows Phone, may they one day get apps.

Well, I assume Android never needs them since no phones ever get them.

Really? Is this your way to direct the attention away from Apple? This is not about Android, BB or WF, this is about Apple. The greatest tech company in the world that makes no secret about telling us so. If they have $100 billion in the bank, they must have a real testing department don't you think so? And, no, I'm not a 'hater'.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I wonder when they are going to fix the headphone bug.

Anyone one else notice that previous to iOS 6, when you plugged anything into the headphone jack, the iPhone would automatically lower the volume to a low level?

Now, it maxes out the volume and if you aren't paying attention you get blasted.

This is on an iPhone 4S.
It remembers the last volume level you had for headphones and speaker. Still does for me.

I'm really glad they're fixing the exchange bug this quickly. When Exchange is on I get about 8 hours of standby/light usage and I'll be down to 20%. It'll drain even faster if you're in a weak cell reception area. About half the time (4-5 hours of standby).

With Exchange off the battery life skyrockets at 10 hours of standby/light usage down to 75%. Big, big difference.

Last edited:

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
There is still a HUGE bug in iOS 6.1!

I have reported it to Apple and all the tech sites for a couple days now and nobody is reporting it :mad:

You can find deleted iMessages through universal search! Another huge bug that has happened for the second time now!

Come on Apple! :(

Test for yourself and report it MacRumors! I'm offering you a nice exclusive here. Geeze!!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Really? Is this your way to direct the attention away from Apple? This is not about Android, BB or WF, this is about Apple. The greatest tech company in the world that makes no secret about telling us so. If they have $100 billion in the bank, they must have a real testing department don't you think so? And, no, I'm not a 'hater'.
No amount of money or people will really uncover all the possible issues that would exist in the real world, especially when it comes to extremely popular software used by a huge number of people in all kinds of ways and environments. Simply can't happen. That's not to say that a better job can't be done, but there will still be issues no matter what, just a plain simple reality.

4sguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
If maintaining the most stable and useful mobile operating system in history was easy, any company could do it. ;)

I can certainly forgive the occasional miss.

Occasional miss? Are you drunk?

Every other iOS release has the exact same issue. Battery drain. How many ios releases do they need to fix that?

----------

No amount of money or people will really uncover all the possible issues that would exist in the real world, especially when it comes to extremely popular software used by a huge number of people in all kinds of ways and environments. Simply can't happen. That's not to say that a better job can't be done, but there will still be issues no matter what, just a plain simple reality.

It's the exact same issue every goddamn time. BATTERY DRAIN.

Plain and simple reality.

Search ios battery drain. Every update seems to have a battery drain issue that they have to patch. And sometimes the patch works and sometimes it doesn't.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Occasional miss? Are you drunk?

Every other iOS release has the exact same issue. Battery drain. How many ios releases do they need to fix that?

----------

It's the exact same issue every goddamn time. BATTERY DRAIN.

Plain and simple reality.

Search ios battery drain. Every update seems to have a battery drain issue that they have to patch. And sometimes the patch works and sometimes it doesn't.
While some people experience it, most do not--and often enough people experience it due to the fact that they simply start watching their phone's performance much closer after an upgrade than before it. And while there are actual battery related changes in some updates, in most there aren't, as there aren't any specific issues in relation to that to address. Battery issues are something that is more common than various other things that pop up here and there, but even they are by far not something that exists with every update and affect everyone (or even most).

4sguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
While some people experience it, most do not--and often enough people experience it due to the fact that they simply start watching their phone's performance much closer after an upgrade than before it. And while there are actual battery related changes in some updates, in most there aren't, as there aren't any specific issues in relation to that to address. Battery issues are something that is more common than various other things that pop up here and there, but even they are by far not something that exists with every update and affect everyone (or even most).

That's exactly what they said during Antennagate. Do they have an Apple BS answer book?

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
If maintaining the most stable and useful mobile operating system in history was easy, any company could do it. ;)

I can certainly forgive the occasional miss.

Ha. It is "stable" (as you like to phrase it) because it has gone through very little improvement since iOS3.

Guess what? It is possible to have a stable OS and ALSO keep up with the times regarding features and UI. Instead we have buggy software that looks like same software from 6 years ago. Oh wait, Apple changes the color of the title bar! Nevermind.

:rolleyes:

4sguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Ha. It is "stable" (as you like to phrase it) because it has gone through very little improvement since iOS3.

Guess what? It is possible to have a stable OS and ALSO keep up with the times regarding features and UI. Instead we have buggy software that looks like same software from 6 years ago. Oh wait, Apple changes the color of the title bar! Nevermind.

:rolleyes:

But that's the thing. It ISN'T stable.

I've had my share of battery issues. For some reason the OS gets confused and my battery life is crap. Shuts down at 15%. I charge it. I calibrate it. Makes no difference. I let it shut down and turn it back on. Just before I see the lock screen and plug it in. When it comes back the % drops like 4-5%. So if it was 85% when I shut it down it comes back as 80 or 81%.

If I reload the OS it fixes it. But then after a while it does it again. I know because when I charge it overnight I wake up. It's at 100% and it doesn't show the plug like its done. It's still shows like its charging.

Now I'm scared of iOS7. What new bugs will that bring? I know 1 bug for sure. People will complain that since the 7 update their battery life sucks. And we will be here again discussing the same thing.

And I STILL have no quick toggles for communications. Must be so hard to get that into the notifications center. They copied it from Android and couldn't put that in. Pathetic.

----------

It was just at 95%. I turned it off. Turned it back on. It's now back at 100%

4sguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
6.1.2 will make no difference I'm sure.

Another 990MB download or whatever it is.

I don't do the WiFi software update through the phone because that causes more issues for some reason. I just download the whole thing. Also, if you want to restore the phone, you hook it up to the computer and it says "please Download" so you'll end up downloading the whole gigabyte anyway.

My wife's 3Gs is on 6.0. I'm leaving it alone.

I charged it again. Before 15 minutes = down to 95% just posting here. Now 15 minutes = still at 100%. Doing the same thing.

I just fixed this a week ago.

Last edited:

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
If patients have a nasty habit of dying on one doctors' watch more than the others, I don't need to be a doctor to know they suck at their job. Apple needs to step up their testing BEFORE they release these updates. I didn't say it had to be perfect.

I also am happy Apple is quick to fix such issues, but it doesn't show me they're doing a good job. It shows me they're very good at making the same mistake consistently. I expect better is all.

:cool:

Especially when they even release betas to test for issues you would think after multiple betas they would have known about these issues.

4sguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Especially when they even release betas to test for issues you would think after multiple betas they would have known about these issues.

I think they know and don't care.

See Antennagate

As soon as I put it in my hand I noticed the issue.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I guess you didn't know about battery bug.

im not affected by any battery bug.. i have a iPhone 5... but i did hear some 4S users have battery life problems, i read that Apple is going to fix this in iOS 6.1.2 next year along with the lockscreen hack and the Exchange problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.