Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Hmmm kernel in partial wakelocks?
Read the XDA thread, this app is a big deal, helped out a lot of people.
I don't know the app you mentioned, but with bbs you can see partial wakelocks.

It's over a thousand pages. :(

Argh -- urge to dump Nexus 4 rising...

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Have you tried calibrating the battery? Sometimes, it is just calibration that is out.

That's not a calibration issue. That's either a faulty hardware issue, or something he has on his phone. I doubt it's faulty hardware though. Until he actually wipes his device and starts clean, he won't know.

----------

And why is there still no official change log that details the battery fixes? What is up with google lately and their lack of effective communication...

For one, a change log isn't owed to anyone. If it's provided, then great...but it isn't required. Secondly, the "battery fixes" aren't "battery fixes" in themselves. They are fixes in various areas that translate into better battery life.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Is there a good source of objective testing on these sorts of matters for Android? The way to really tell about the extent of any change in battery life would be to have two identical devices other than the OS version, and run them through the same controlled tests. There must be someone who will do this and publish it.

Not really.

Glbenchmark 2.5 app has a battery test option. What it does is runs a hi res 3d environment at full brightness until the battery dies.

This doesn't really prove much though because unless optimizations were made to the CPU/GPU software it will likely be identical between OS versions. It won't tell you if a battery hungry software bug was fixed.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
It's over a thousand pages. :(

Argh -- urge to dump Nexus 4 rising...

If you install BetterBatteryStats it will show the process. I have a lot of 'msm_hsic_host' in the Kernel Wakelock section. This is mobile data.

I noticed a significant improvement after installing Franco's kernel.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I must admit, the past two days have given me pretty good battery life. I think I can safely say now with personal experience that the battery life has improved with 4.2.2.

Here's two days ago, followed by yesterday's:

zzAnSpa.png
NMIIUSO.png
zoj6qTf.png
(I had just started charging, if you're curious about the charging sign)

Yesterday:

MUV5IyT.png
nDBQpCT.png
6j3J8cD.png

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I must admit, the past two days have given me pretty good battery life. I think I can safely say now with personal experience that the battery life has improved with 4.2.2.

Here's two days ago, followed by yesterday's:

zzAnSpa.png
NMIIUSO.png
zoj6qTf.png
(I had just started charging, if you're curious about the charging sign)

Yesterday:

MUV5IyT.png
nDBQpCT.png
6j3J8cD.png

With 4.2.2, I don't really even concern myself with my battery at all. I only concern myself with making sure it's fully charged at the beginning of the day. From there, I don't worry about it. Where I work, just about everyone either has a Galaxy Nexus or a Nexus 4, and everyone is pretty happy with the battery life increase.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
With 4.2.2, I don't really even concern myself with my battery at all. I only concern myself with making sure it's fully charged at the beginning of the day. From there, I don't worry about it. Where I work, just about everyone either has a Galaxy Nexus or a Nexus 4, and everyone is pretty happy with the battery life increase.

I'm hoping that'll be me soon. (Too bad no fixes to the slow camera, especially when taking HDR photos.)

All in all though, I think I'm happy with 4.2.2, and certainly happier with the battery life. It's fended off my lust for the S4 for a little bit. Things might change, of course, when it actually gets announced.

Also, I just picked up "last generation's" Retina MBP so... there goes my big tech purchase of the year. I'm more inclined to stick it out with my Nexus 4 till 2014 now.

chrisaster

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
+1 here for battery improvement.

It isn't u night and day difference but I am having gains. Would like some more gains though as there are vision kernels + ROMs out there that give 5 hours on screen time.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Is everyone noticing a cooler running phone at all? Mine doesn't seem to get half as warm as it used to on 4.2.1.

EmmEff

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I wish I could say I've noticed any significant difference since upgrading to 4.2.2 but I haven't. Battery might be slightly improved but I was expecting more based on the discussion in this thread.

Still love my Nexus 4 though...

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Is everyone noticing a cooler running phone at all? Mine doesn't seem to get half as warm as it used to on 4.2.1.

Yes - probably has something to do with the more efficient battery as well. Add me to the list of happy 4.2.2 users - battery life is much improved.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I must have been lucky with my Nexus 4 on 4.2.1, I never had battery issues and my battery life seems unchanged with 4.2.2.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003

I certainly noticed mine running cooler. I even went to Google Earth - which was an app that ran particularly hot - and got crazy with the zoom, tilt, pan and rotate. That would have turned the device into a toaster before, and it only got moderately warm.

Edit: There's also one definite problem that came with the update - I't flaky serving as a hotspot. I've been get varying connection speeds and occasional dropped connections. I just did a restart on the N4 to try and get it to maintain a connection today.

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
My Nexus 4 has trouble keeping signal. But I don't know if that's Tmobile or the phone.

Ha - I wish I could help you out there.....

I have AT&T - however, I've had very spotty, weak signal since I moved into my new house.....which is about a mile away from a giant AT&T cell tower......radiant barrier be damned!

I only today found out I could tether on the N4, even with my unlimited data plan so I haven't used that feature enough to know if its better or worse on 4.2.2.

Anyone with tethering experience on the N4 on AT&T with unlimited data.....does AT&T come after you?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Ha - I wish I could help you out there.....

I have AT&T - however, I've had very spotty, weak signal since I moved into my new house.....which is about a mile away from a giant AT&T cell tower......radiant barrier be damned!

I only today found out I could tether on the N4, even with my unlimited data plan so I haven't used that feature enough to know if its better or worse on 4.2.2.

Anyone with tethering experience on the N4 on AT&T with unlimited data.....does AT&T come after you?

I've done it is the past and they sent me a nasty letter in the mail. It basically said if I continue to do so they will cancel my service. I was tethering for a solid year before they sent something.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I've done it is the past and they sent me a nasty letter in the mail. It basically said if I continue to do so they will cancel my service. I was tethering for a solid year before they sent something.

I understand them doing that for say an iPhone user as the service is blocked unless you call them to add it. However I haven't "jailbroken", rooted or added any software to the N4 to cause it to be able to tether and it is able.

How does AT&T have any recourse here? I'm simply using the phone as it has been designed. If anything AT&T should take it up with Google.....not me.

That being said, I highly doubt I'll tether enough for them to care....just wondered what others experiences have been. Jailbreak tethering is one thing....N4 tethering is different.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Edit: There's also one definite problem that came with the update - I't flaky serving as a hotspot. I've been get varying connection speeds and occasional dropped connections. I just did a restart on the N4 to try and get it to maintain a connection today.

I've done around 5 gigs today tethering via hotspot with no issues so far luckily!
photokpk.jpg

Will let you know if I come across any stability issues but all seems well so far.
I'd be lost without this phone and HSPA+ :D

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
My Nexus 4 has trouble keeping signal. But I don't know if that's Tmobile or the phone.

I had the same problems with mine using AT&T for awhile until I found out that the 2 different APN settings I found online were wrong. I spoke with AT&T directly and it just happened to be with a guy that had a Nexus 4 himself. He gave me the correct settings straight from his phone, been working fine ever since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.