Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I plan on switching carriers can i use my same phone on Verizon?

Apple said it was possible if its unlocked but I'm seeing different things online.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
The real problem is that Verizon will only allow their own phone on their network. They won't have anything to do with a GSM phone. :cool:

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
This is one of the myriad of reasons I hate verizon. Ironically, you can use a verizon iphone 5 on at&t (without lte though).
The real problem is that Verizon will only allow their own phone on their network. They won't have anything to do with a GSM phone. :cool:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Whoever told you that you can use an AT&T iphone 5 on verizon was mistaken.
Like others said verizon will never allow it to activate on their network unless its a verizon device.
You could do it the other way a verizon i5 to AT&T but not in reverse like you're planning.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
at&t iphone 5 = GSM only. it can be used on any GSM network worldwide (once unlocked) but NOT on any CDMA network

verizon iphone 5 = CDMA and GSM. it can be used ONLY on verizon, and then any other GSM network in the world (once unlocked)

basically, both the verizon and at&t phone are compatible with any GSM network, but only the verizon one can be used on verizon. if you switch to verizon from at&t, you will need to sell your current phone and buy a verizon one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.