Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laryenhilllvr

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2012
NYC
for some reason i thought the 3tb would be rather popular, but i guess i'm in the minority. coming from mbp i was tired of not having all my files on the HD, so i was very interested in the larger storage spaces. also, i have a tb worth of media and was not going to fill my hd the moment i got it. so now i have a good amount of wiggle room and very little cable clutter...it feels so liberating.

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
I too went for 3 TB Fusion Drive, 1 TB is just not enough for these days, at least for me. I have a huge music library and I'm starting to build a digital movie library so it's nice not having to worry about a external hard drive, just another cable to worry about.:p

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I have about 2TB of Movies & TV Shows.

I hate dealing with External Drives, don't need the clutter on my desk.

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
Can you briefly explain please. I'm not trolling is just that I'm a bit short on cash and if I can save by adding ssd later I would be happy!

Plug external drive in... Install OS onto drive (or create bootable clone of your internal with third party software (superduper, carbon copy cloner) ) reboot while holding down the option key and select the external drive... You can make the selection permanent with the startup disk prefenence in system preferences

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Can you briefly explain please. I'm not trolling is just that I'm a bit short on cash and if I can save by adding ssd later I would be happy!

Many of us are using Thunderbolt SSDs. You just install the OS to the SSD, and away you go. I've been running like this for 2+ months now. Works great, and is super speedy. You definitely don't need to spend any extra money right now if you want to add an SSD later.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Many of us are using Thunderbolt SSDs. You just install the OS to the SSD, and away you go. I've been running like this for 2+ months now. Works great, and is super speedy. You definitely don't need to spend any extra money right now if you want to add an SSD later.
So no problems so far? Wouldn't slow it just a bit at startup since the imac has to detect the ssd then load it?

Mbzamg32

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
I was asking myself the same question, i went with the 3TB fusion as i keep my media library local on my machine and backup all my data to a 3TB USB3 external. If i got the 1TB option i would need 2 externals hanging off it, one for data and one for backup. Im sure Apple will release a fix for Bootcamp on the 3TB FD.

I was thinking of getting the 1tb FD then a Lacie D2 thunderbolt/USB 3.0 3tb HDD for time machine back ups and for storing all my photos/catalogs from Lightroom 4. Is this not possible? Do I need 2 seperate externals to do this?

If that's the case I think I'll just do the same as you did.

MacFro

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
OSX in version10.8.3 now supports 3TB drives.

I went with the 3tb fusion. Nice to have the extra space for media etc.

Ice-Cube

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
I ordered a 3TB too. Hate plugging in different drives to get different stuff. And not to mention I only need to backup to one external drive rather than have 2 external drives backing up each other.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Another 3Tb Fusion user here (and it's coming today! :D ) for one very simple reason: Bootcamp. This is going to be my main desktop for at least three years and I have an extensive Steam library on Windows that needs at least 500Gb to install. The 1Tb option would have left me scratching for space on the OS X side, especially as I'm now taking the bulk of my photos as RAW files rather than JPEG's.

Secondary reason was to preserve as many expansion options for the future as possible. By having 3Tb of internal storage space I save myself either a Thunderbolt or USB3 port now. As I've already got a backup drive and Blu-ray player hooked in that only leaves me 2 USB3 ports to handle memory sticks, hard drives, cameras etc. As much as I'd love to go Thunderbolt I couldn't afford that and the iMac at the same time so this actually worked out the better option for the time being.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
I can get two 4TB USB 3 ext HDDs for an upgrade price to 3TB.

Just think about it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.