Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Build 12D68 Release Notes:-

UPDATE: Release Notes Build 12D68

The 10.8.3 update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including the following:

* The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using your Mac's built-in camera
* Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
* Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive
* A fix for an issue that could cause a file URL to quit apps unexpectedly
* A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
* A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
Includes Safari 6.0.3

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
I'm not a dev so no idea how the codes for the different versions for the builds work but is there any indication for when we might see a GM?

Do you think it will happen around the same time as the next Apple press event?

Nope I have no idea when it will be released. All I can do is speculate that it'll probably come out within the next month or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I don't think apple should release it to the public till all the focus areas have been addressed

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
There is no graphics enhancements in 10.8.3 at least from what I understand. The mention of graphics drivers in the release notes is not about performance improvements but rather this:

There are VERY fresh graphics drivers for both AMD, and NVIDIA cards in 10.8.3. Performance is improved, as well as new OpenGL extensions.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I've been using 10.8.3 for a while now and I really don't know what all the fuss is about. It's not much different to 10.8.2.

I think the major difference will be with bootcamp not os x.

As has been said here and elsewhere on this forum, 10.8.3 theoretically supports bootcamp with 3TB hard drives and windows 8 but bootcamp itself can't do it yet.

So I'd be more excited about a new bootcamp than a new os x.

I asked some people from apple about this and they said it will come out later in the year.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
There is no graphics enhancements in 10.8.3 at least from what I understand.

There are VERY fresh graphics drivers for both AMD, and NVIDIA cards in 10.8.3. Performance is improved, as well as new OpenGL extensions.

Thanks for your input. JordanNZ, so there are also new Nvidia drivers for 320M and 330M? This is the main reason I'm waiting for 10.8.3. Animations on my MBP 13" 2010 get really choppy after about a day of use (with no apps open). Only a restart fixes this problem. Also there are insane amounts of memory leaks (I have 8GB RAM). Memory leaks get so bad that the OS X starts paging out to the Hard drive. I've recently come to believe that this may be happening due to GPU acceleration that the apps use (like Chrome and VMware Fusion) and the memory leak starts happening from the point when the GPU is heavily involved with apps. So hopefully, the supposedly updated drivers fix the problem.

Obviously, I have tried clean installs, Pram and SMC resets, Repair disk permissions, you name it....

Just for a heads up.........10.8.3 will be available to the public on October 7th of 2015. :p

And I thought I was insane :D

Does the graphic enhancements of 10.8.3 improve chrome experience?

Maybe its just me but scrolling in chrome is much slower than safari on RMBP..

I hope RBMP becomes snappier in terms of graphics, thats my only compliant with my 13 RMBP

You want Chrome to be faster and smoother on your RMBP? Do this.

1) Go to: Chrome:flags
2) Enable GPU composting and Thread composting, then restart Chrome
3) See Chrome become faster than Safari

I have no idea why Google has decided to block this wonderful function. I have been using this on my MBP (Nvidia 320M) for over a year and never looked back to Safari. BTW, I also tried this on RMBP 15" in Apple store and it works great! One more thing: two finger back/forward gestures might not work, so you can enable three finger back/forward gestures (thats what I did) ;)

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
Another shout out to w0lf for a great post. I'd like to see the forum regarding the article on the actual release of 10.8.3 be filled with equally pertinent posts that list successes and bugs in the update. Instead of a bunch of "downloading now" and "taking forever to download" and "mine came in at XGB how may GB was your download" sort of posts.

I'm looking forward to 10.8.3 release if it is stable as I plan on using that to do an erase and install of the OS as I upgrade for the first time from 10.7 to 10.8. I've prepped my files and am in limbo now so I'd like them to hurry up and get it right.

Anyone else think that Apple could stand to hire a significant larger number of programmers?

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA

Really? I wasn't aware there were updates for NVIDIA cards or OpenGL. Could you post some of the specifics because I was almost certain that they're still using OpenGL 3.2 . I didn't really feel much improvement between .2 and .3 but then again I'm using a 2010 laptop so I don't exactly expect excellent graphics performance.

I've been using 10.8.3 for a while now and I really don't know what all the fuss is about. It's not much different to 10.8.2.

I think the major difference will be with bootcamp not os x.

As has been said here and elsewhere on this forum, 10.8.3 theoretically supports bootcamp with 3TB hard drives and windows 8 but bootcamp itself can't do it yet.

So I'd be more excited about a new bootcamp than a new os x.

My thoughts exactly. Not much in terms of big changes for the average user aside from Win8 bootcamp support.

Thanks for your input. JordanNZ, so there are also new Nvidia drivers for 320M and 330M? This is the main reason I'm waiting for 10.8.3. Animations on my MBP 13" 2010 get really choppy after about a day of use (with no apps open). Only a restart fixes this problem. Also there are insane amounts of memory leaks (I have 8GB RAM). Memory leaks get so bad that the OS X starts paging out to the Hard drive. I've recently come to believe that this may be happening due to GPU acceleration that the apps use (like Chrome and VMware Fusion) and the memory leak starts happening from the point when the GPU is heavily involved with apps. So hopefully, the supposedly updated drivers fix the problem.

How much stuff are you running at once and how heavily do you use your machine? I've never really experienced these extreme memory leaks that so many people talk about but then again I'm the kind of guy who always shuts my computer off at night and starts it up in the morning and I don't use many heavily memory intensive apps like video software or virtual machines.

You want Chrome to be faster and smoother on your RMBP? Do this.

1) Go to: Chrome:flags
2) Enable GPU composting and Thread composting, then restart Chrome
3) See Chrome become faster than Safari

I have no idea why Google has decided to block this wonderful function. I have been using this on my MBP (Nvidia 320M) for over a year and never looked back to Safari. BTW, I also tried this on RMBP 15" in Apple store and it works great! One more thing: two finger back/forward gestures might not work, so you can enable three finger back/forward gestures (thats what I did) ;)

Don't have a retina display but thanks for the tip, I'll see how that effects my experience, haven't touched Chrome:flags since they removed vertical tabs.

Anyone else think that Apple could stand to hire a significant larger number of programmers?

Yeah I'd agree, I can't really say for sure but I feel like they've branched out into doing so many different products that it's probably thinned out the amount of programmers that are working on each specific product. Because of the huge success of iOS and their mobile devices I'd venture to guess that their Desktop programming team is rather slim compared to other departments.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010

Apple has $137 Billion cash sitting in their reserves, so money shouldn't be a problem. Its more of a management issue. I mean how many software engineers/programmers can one person efficiently manage, especially if you are expanding the company horizontally?

There have been many posts on this in the past comparing Craig Federighi with Serlet Bertrand (retired March 2011). Due to recent management shuffle by Tim Cook, Craig is now responsible for both Mac and iOS software engineering. Some argue that Craig is sort of like the new guy on board, and lacks the much needed experience that Serlet brought to Apple along with his years of experience at Apple developing previous Mac OSs. Hence, because of the leadership of Craig, Lion and Mountain lion have been one of the most controversial releases in the recent years (esp. Lion).

My speculation on Serlet's departure: They say that he left because he wanted to "focus less on products and more on science." But the reality can be different. What if Serlet didn't agree with the direction OS X was heading? Perhaps he didn't agree to the unification of iOS and OS X that may have been planned years before from now with Steve Jobs still in the office, which maybe coming ahead when ARM processors are equal to their Intel counterparts.

iOSX ... Just speculating.....

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Having just made the jump to a rMPP I'm eager for for 10.8.3 to shake out the remaining performance issues i've seen people mention. Having said that - the only one i've run into has been the turn wifi on/off to get it working on first boot (bluetooth interference?) but that seems to have mysteriously fixed itself :) Still, no one ever turned down better GFX drivers :D

jjhny

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Ugh the discussion here is so pointless. Doesn't anyone actually have anything relevant to add to the discussion?

I for one haven't been noticing really any differences in the last few iterations of the 10.8.3 beta.

Here's some things I've noticed so far while using the latest build.

Has anyone noticed if the "snooze" function in notifications has been changed to allow picking the time to the next notification pop up?

As it is now Calendar and notifications are useless - being able to set the time to the next one is the only thing that makes that service worthwhile.

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
1 - Are wake-from-sleep Ethernet disconnections gone?

I'm using a thunderbolt ethernet adapter. I don't really have such an issue. I have a 1G ethernet router. When the MBP is in sleep, the router's LED status turns yellow, meaning it's not 1G any more. Once MBP wakes up, the LED turns to the normal green which means a full duplex 1G connection.

ObeseSquirrel

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
Has anyone noticed if the "snooze" function in notifications has been changed to allow picking the time to the next notification pop up?

As it is now Calendar and notifications are useless - being able to set the time to the next one is the only thing that makes that service worthwhile.

Finally! I don't how Apple missed this before. Any other changes to Notification Center? I would like to set my notifications to the bottom-right corner (less obtrusive) like in Growl, but the snooze button fix is a definite plus.

talmao

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
With this build on my rMBP the shutdown sometimes takes 3 seconds, but there is no consistency. I've tested with multiple applications still running, nothing running, and while streaming video. This is a dramatic improvement over the previous build where it would take up to 45 seconds to shutdown all the time. Still, the shutdown is not fixed as it can take 30 seconds to shutdown with the exact same apps open. Start up also appears to be a bit faster. Some consider the shutdown time as a trivial matter, but it's really amazing how much of a difference something like this can make. At least it feels warm and fuzzy to be able to shut down in 3 seconds.

Last edited:

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
With this build on my rMBP the shutdown sometimes takes 3 seconds, but there is no consistency.

My rMBP can shut down in 3 seconds under 10.8.2 as well. So it was never a question of 30 sec shutdowns every time but only sometimes.

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
I am hoping this update will fix performance issues, UI lag, audio stutter and random closing on my rMBP.

Really is quite annoying.

Lets hope they release it soon.

----------

This is VERY good to know :)

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
Obtain 10.8.3

would anyone be so kind as to give me the 10.8.3 latest beta, im having all sorts of issues on three MBP's all clean installation still have massive screen lag .

This is unacceptable as i can not use my machines and have to run windows via bootcamp, im not sure if it's against the rules but i would very much like to get this beta file from someone please.

Thanks
Marcus

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Really? I wasn't aware there were updates for NVIDIA cards or OpenGL. Could you post some of the specifics because I was almost certain that they're still using OpenGL 3.2 . I didn't really feel much improvement between .2 and .3 but then again I'm using a 2010 laptop so I don't exactly expect excellent graphics performance.

There aren't any "performance improvements" to be felt between OpenGL 3.2 and 3.3 or 4.0 whenever Apple adapts it. The API's are for developers to write better games or games that can use the hardware in various other ways. And OpenGL 3.2 isn't fully supported under Mountain Lion, so Apple probably supported more 3.2 extensions in 10.8.3.

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
would anyone be so kind as to give me the 10.8.3 latest beta, im having all sorts of issues on three MBP's all clean installation still have massive screen lag .

Totally agree the screen lag is awful. If they don't fix this in 10.8.3 I will not be happy.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
Totally agree the screen lag is awful. If they don't fix this in 10.8.3 I will not be happy.

its stupid, do you have access to a Apple Dev account ? you can download the Beta dmg and test for yourself ? trying to find someone to give me the file is impossible

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
its stupid, do you have access to a Apple Dev account ? you can download the Beta dmg and test for yourself ? trying to find someone to give me the file is impossible

No I don't. I hope the full release comes out soon, would rather wait for that, but like I say I really hope they have addressed it.

The screen lag, graphic problems in Safari and audio glitching system wide, feel like im contantly maxing out my CPU. :(

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
No I don't. I hope the full release comes out soon, would rather wait for that, but like I say I really hope they have addressed it.

The screen lag, graphic problems in Safari and audio glitching system wide, feel like im contantly maxing out my CPU. :(

yeah i feel the same, cant wait for these new graphics driver, its not a new system issue either because this happens with 2012/2011 normal MacBook Pro's too. to perform everyday tasks im forced to use windows over bootcamp which defeats the object of a mac. I Moved from windows for a reason now im thinking... actually.. shall i go back and sack these machines ?

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
yeah i feel the same, cant wait for these new graphics driver, its not a new system issue either because this happens with 2012/2011 normal MacBook Pro's too. to perform everyday tasks im forced to use windows over bootcamp which defeats the object of a mac. I Moved from windows for a reason now im thinking... actually.. shall i go back and sack these machines ?

Its a shame, I have used all sorts of macs for years and never had such a horrible list of bug thats REALLY affect your everyday use.

Just stick with it. The amount of testing they are doing on this release goes to show that must be trying to 'get it right' with this release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.