Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
This:

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/te...es-questions-over-pricing-20130214-2eetr.html

is what most people are unhappy about in Australia. As the article says:

"t's still cheaper to fly from here in Sydney to Los Angeles, buy [Adobe's Creative Suite Master 6 Collection] there, and come home. By doing that I'd save $601, and I'd get Virgin Australia frequent flyer points, too."

How does one explain that away????

You are absolutely correct. I just don't understand why Australian retailers cry fowl when we either buy online (overseas site) or physically buy the product abroad. Australians and I'm sure other non US countries get screwed by the gov't or corporation.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Sorry if this was posted...

http://www.theage.com.au/technology...es-questions-over-pricing-20130214-2eetr.html

"Adobe chief dodges questions over pricing..."

He kept dodging the question and referring to their cloud service which magically they dropped the price yesterday :rolleyes:

Still he didn't answer why its cheaper to fly to the US and buy CS6 and fly home and have over $600 more in your pocket!

Jeez… what a muppet! They shouldn’t let him out in front of the cameras. Does more harm than good.

cjt00000

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
Well, to give you an example. The highest standard-configuration Retina MacBook Pro costs $2799 in the United States, without taxes.

In Europe, it can cost as much $3265 without any taxes at all. So, without taxes, there's already a difference of $466. You could buy an iPad mini + an iPod shuffle + accessoiries with this money.

If you take into account that taxes are extremely high in other modern, western, countries, than the difference is even more astonishing. In Europe, the Retina Macbook Pro I talked about will cost you $3951. If you compare that with the United States, where in some states you don't even need to pay sales tax, than there's a difference of $1152.

Basically, there are two issues:

- Apple asking much more money, even when taxes are taken out of the equation (as seen above: a Retina MacBook Pro standard configuration costs $466 extra).
- High sales tax, adding to the cost compared to the USA [in some states, you don't even need to pay sales tax] (as seen above: when you include taxes, a Retina MacBook Pro standard configuration costs $1152 extra)

The second thing is something Apple can't fix. It's not their problem. The first thing, however, is outrageous.

The combination just makes it really hard to swallow for a lot of people. You can get one Retina MacBook Pro in Europe while, for the same money, in the United States you can get one[/b] Retina MacBook Pro, one iPad mini, one unlocked 16 GB iPhone 5, one Apple TV and still have $75 for accessoiries or iTunes content or whatever.

Again, the problem is a combination of Apple asking a premium plus high sales tax. Also, again, it should be no surprise: for a lot of people, it is hard to understand why in Europe - and other parts of the world - you can only get one MacBook Pro, while for the same money in the US you can get a Retina MacBook Pro + iPad mini + iPhone 5 + Apple TV + still have money left for accessories or iTunes content or whatever.

I don't think you understood the article, the price discrepancies described in percentages in the article referred to pricing before any sales tax, that's tax cost included in the base price. The base price includes taxes the respective governments charge for import/sale in their country. What that state charges in sales tax is something to complain to your government about.

The fact of the matter is price differences are nigh negligible when you account for import/export taxes, that's what the article was explaining. You're talking about a difference in price (after tax included in the base price, not including sales tax which is again determined entirely by the state) of less than 4%. While I have no idea of operating costs in the respective countries I'd wager that the negligible price difference is to cover operating costs. Digital downloads are a whole different animal, I'm only addressing the core products.

Looking at the 27in iMac, after international taxes (import/export) the difference is about 175.00USD in Australia. And why shouldn't it be? Apple is an American company, you should expect to pay more for a product in any other country than where the company is based, that's just the name of the game. If Australia doesn't like it, they should reduce import costs to cut the price at the consumer level.

To me, this inquisition is a huge intrusion of a foreign body on a company operating in a free market and the whole thing is offensive, and a dramatic over-reach. If Steve Jobs were still around he'd probably say ******* Australia and pull Apple products until the citizens complained enough to the government to force them to eat their words, then he'd probably charge more just because he's Steve Jobs.

Your statement of a "problem" being high sales tax is just crazy, what does that have to do with Apple? Complain to your government.

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
While they are at it, the govemeng should look at the prices of...well everything in australia.

Rip off country if I have ever seen one, pack of 20 ciggerettes = 20 bucks, half a pint of beer = 5 buck min, a bottle of water = 4 bucks, 60k BMW = 30 thousand in most places, Christ food here is even worse, I am from England , a 2 course mel for 5 at an Indian restraunt in the uk cost 20 pound, over here it would cost hundreds lol.

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Hey! I don't mind Logitech charging 50% more in Aus for their keyboards or Apple, and the other hoods slugging us a shirtload of dosh just because we like British designed Apple computers - Sir Nifty Ives. I don't mind the yanks cheating in the America's cup. I don't mind the things America does stomping all over the world in it's ten league boots. Cool! But you can't slander our Camel piss - Fosters. That is below the belt. Phew!

LOL- I wouldn't give my worst enemy Fosters!

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
This is a total non story. The real story is that Australians are the world's worst/best complainers.
3554708-16x9-700x394.jpg

What many of us don't take into account how volatile the AU$ is. It is not inconceivable that its value could drop as much as 30% in a matter of weeks.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
If Steve Jobs were still around he'd probably say ******* Australia and pull Apple products until the citizens complained enough to the government to force them to eat their words, then he'd probably charge more just because he's Steve Jobs.

What an arsehole. Thank Dog he's dead.

What many of us don't take into account how volatile the AU$ is. It is not inconceivable that its value could drop as much as 30% in a matter of weeks.

Are you being paid by Apple Australia?

The Aussie dollar has stayed at or near parity with the US dollar for over 2 years. Indeed, it only dipped below US$1 once in the past year. During the recent economic turmoil, there's been plenty of interest in investing in the Aussie Dollar.

Yes, it could drop back to US$0.75 again like it was in the old days, but an asteroid could also wipe us all out tomorrow. Maybe the AU$ will continue to climb in future...

Looking at the iMac... Yes, there really is nothing to complain about here in Australia - once you factor in the GST, there's not much difference. But it's not the only example, and historically, Apple have price gauged.

Can anyone (who actually knows the answer) clarify - is Apple Australia, or Apple Inc being called before the committee?

Last edited:

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I don't think you understood the article, the price discrepancies described in percentages in the article referred to pricing before any sales tax, that's tax cost included in the base price. The base price includes taxes the respective governments charge for import/sale in their country. What that state charges in sales tax is something to complain to your government about.

The fact of the matter is price differences are nigh negligible when you account for import/export taxes, that's what the article was explaining. You're talking about a difference in price (after tax included in the base price, not including sales tax which is again determined entirely by the state) of less than 4%. While I have no idea of operating costs in the respective countries I'd wager that the negligible price difference is to cover operating costs. Digital downloads are a whole different animal, I'm only addressing the core products.

Looking at the 27in iMac, after international taxes (import/export) the difference is about 175.00USD in Australia. And why shouldn't it be? Apple is an American company, you should expect to pay more for a product in any other country than where the company is based, that's just the name of the game. If Australia doesn't like it, they should reduce import costs to cut the price at the consumer level.

To me, this inquisition is a huge intrusion of a foreign body on a company operating in a free market and the whole thing is offensive, and a dramatic over-reach. If Steve Jobs were still around he'd probably say ******* Australia and pull Apple products until the citizens complained enough to the government to force them to eat their words, then he'd probably charge more just because he's Steve Jobs.

Your statement of a "problem" being high sales tax is just crazy, what does that have to do with Apple? Complain to your government.
I'm comparing prices both with and without tax. Almost a $500 in price before any taxes are applied is outrageous.

The part about the high sales tax is just there to give you an idea how much more expensive Europe is. So that's why I said there are TWO problems. High sales tax, which Apple can do nothing about AND Apple asking up to $500 more (we're talking here about a difference BEFORE taxes).

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
And as for the Kangaroo burger jibe from some idiot above, it's expensive here too. News flash, but Kangaroos are Australian only. So, they're pretty much endangered.

Some kangaroo species are endangered, but for the most part, they are not endangered, even if they only exist natively here in Oz. Indeed, some species have been culled at various times due to excessive numbers.

Besides... as my wife says... They taste good!

wirefire

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2015
The problem is it shouldn't cost more than in the US plus tax..I'll give 2% for transportation costs. Thats not what happening here or in the EU Apple is gouging period. If you throw Adobe and MS into the mix which have very minimal distribution costs the problem compounds.

An education in economics is due. Apple is not pricing on the basis of the world as a whole market, they are pricing based on regional margins. In the US, EU and AU they expect to make a profit of X US dollars per unit. They factor in things like currency stability, legal fees, cost of physical presence (where appropriate), support costs, ETC in that price. When the AU government forces Apple to appear in court that raises the cost to Apple of doing business in AU. That is then reflected in the price of the AU products. The EU enforced a significant number of environmental and other requirements on Apple. What you are proposing is that Apple takes all of these things in aggregate and then shares that cost across all buyers in the system. So what is more fair? Everyone paying $1999 for the MacBook pro, or different countries paying different rates based on monetary, legal and support environments?

I will agree that on software products this gets a little more suspect since support is generally centralized. IT isn't like a lot of support is needed for an iTunes download. I am not sure about Australian law but it could be something as simple as Apple is required to give refunds on accidental purchases on downloaded content in Australia. Apple gets charged by the content providers when a purchase occurs so if they need to offer that kind of customer support the product must cost more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.