Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LJSurfa

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Hey there. I am just wondering what people's opinions are on an update of the iPod classic.

Will it get and update?
Is it being phased out?
What features do you want to see in a new one that would re define the iPod?

Personally a larger HDD would be nice, Bluetooth play for BT headphones and docks, coloured metal (like the previous iPod nano.

I'm just curious what people think more than anything.

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
I would like to see a whole new iPod with classic retro feeling!

A bigger harddrive and a retina screen AND bluetooth! The design would be almost as the first iPod. Snowy deep white front and a beautiful steel backside! The rotating scrollwheel and physical buttons around the wheel!

It would still feel new and fresh, thinner and sleaker than the first generation, with a screen to die for. That would be something!! :D :D :D

Last edited:

LJSurfa

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013

A bigger harddrive and a retina screen AND bluetooth! The design would be almost as the first iPod. Snowy deep white front and a beautiful steel backside! The rotating scrollwheel and physical buttons around the wheel!

It would still feel new and fresh, thinner and sleaker than the first generation, with a screen to die for. That would be something!! :D :D :D

Sounds awesome. :)

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Seeing as the iPad just got 128GB..this could be the year that they give the touch the long overdue 128GB capacity..which will probably drop the classic off the line-up.

.... not that I want that to happen. Classic holds the most and is very easy to navigate without having to look at it all the dang time. If there are two things I'd like to see done it would be a sound chip change (something far better than cheap Cirrus Logic garbage) and a capacity bump.

Giuly

macrumors 68040

10219762.jpg

Like that? ;)

At some point soon, the iPod Touch will hit 256GB, which is already more than the largest iPod with it's 240GB hard drive.

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
Like that? ;)

At some point soon, the iPod Touch will hit 256GB, which is already more than the largest iPod with it's 240GB hard drive.

Where is this 240GB Classic you speak of? I want one!

I'm not sure the consumer will be willing to pay for a 128GB Touch much less a 256. The price now for a 64GB is pretty steep. Flash prices are going to have to come way down. But, a decent price on a 256GB Touch might finally get me to give up my beloved Classic.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Seeing as the iPad just got 128GB..this could be the year that they give the touch the long overdue 128GB capacity..which will probably drop the classic off the line-up.

.... not that I want that to happen. Classic holds the most and is very easy to navigate without having to look at it all the dang time. If there are two things I'd like to see done it would be a sound chip change (something far better than cheap Cirrus Logic garbage) and a capacity bump.

If they made a 500 GB model it would be awesome (there are small 500 GB drives available that people have put into their iPods).

Giuly

macrumors 68040

I'm not sure the consumer will be willing to pay for a 128GB Touch much less a 256. The price now for a 64GB is pretty steep. Flash prices are going to have to come way down. But, a decent price on a 256GB Touch might finally get me to give up my beloved Classic.

You can install a 240GB 1.8" Toshiba hard drive, even 128GB SSDs if you jump up and down the water with your iPod, and there used to be replacement back covers that say "240GB".

Last edited:

1DCollective97

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
Do you think apple will release a new iPod classic? I currently own an iPod touch 2nd gen which I've had since mid 2010, so it isn't that old but already there are problems with it. I also own a smartphone which my dad bought me last year and I do love it, I really do but it only has 4gb of mem and no expandable mem and the battery is just crap. Anyway once my iPod dies I was thinking of getting a new one, but idk which to get. The classic looks cool but 160gb is a lot and I can't put my apps onto it :C I was also looking at the 7th gen nano, my dad bought one for himself and it looks cool. I'm not sure whether I wanna buy the touch. It would basically be te same as my phone, just bigger screen, more memory but same camera res and I can't make calls on it. No point I guess. And also32gb is a lot of memory plus it is really expensive. what do u think? If they release a new classic this year should I get it? I'm really not sure, but I know I want some sort of separate music player to my phone. I just like it better that way.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
IMHO the classic will be just dismissed at some point, which is a shame, it was an almost perfect device and update with SSD, higher capacity, and better DAC would have been awesome.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
IMHO the classic will be just dismissed at some point, which is a shame, it was an almost perfect device and update with SSD, higher capacity, and better DAC would have been awesome.

That would be nice. I love my Classic, and it holds most of my music. I don't have to sync it as much to change music around. I can go on trips and I know if my music taste changes on the trip, I have my music.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I still have hope for an updated iPod Classic. Reasonable updates would include an SSD (and a thinner body, too), a retina screen, a Lightning connector, and a better quality sound chip.

But then again, Apple isn't known to be reasonable all of the time :p

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I think the demand for an iPod classic is severely diminshed.

The only way I could see anybody having one is if you don't have an unlimited data and are in the car all the time, or if you fly out of the country a lot.

iTunes Match, airplay, and home sharing have taken a big bite out of the iPod classic.

the iPod classic limits you to 160 gigs. My music collection is like 300 gigs. I can access all 300 gigs using the "remote" app and stream it to either my Bose Sounddock 10 in my bedroom or my AppleTV in the living room using either my phone or my 8 gig iPod touch.

I have iTunes Match which gives me 25,000 songs, which is probably enough to fill a 160 gig iPod classic and it costs $25 a year.

If I were in the car all the time and didn't have unlimited data than I guess I would have use for an iPod classic, or if I was frequently flying out of the country and didn't want to pay for the airplanes wifi but for most uses I think home sharing, iTunes Match, and airplay have eliminated the need for the iPod classic which is why you don't even really see them on display at Apple stores anymore.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I think the demand for an iPod classic is severely diminshed.

The only way I could see anybody having one is if you don't have an unlimited data and are in the car all the time, or if you fly out of the country a lot.
There are many plpaces you could be where you didn't have access to your home computer and didn't have access to free internet.

I agree - if you're just at home, an iPod Touch as a remote or using home sharing works great. Spend a day at the library or out walking around or some such, you will want music on your iPod.

My music collection is also large, but I found that having about 400 albums on my iPod works fine for when I'm not at home. No need for iTunes Match and network connectivity.

So while I agree that the iPod Classic may not be for sale much longer, you never know - if Apple is selling enough of them to justify keeping the manufacturing line running, why not?

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
I simply just LOVE the feel of the iPod classic in my hand...the weight of it, the bevelled edges, the smooth steel backside :p

I hope apple continues the classic line and evolves it to an even higher level. I would also like some special editions and maybe a retro design version...

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I hope, based on their 'staying true to their musical roots' comment during the release of the new Touch, this will also mean not droping the econic ipod classic, you know the mp3 player that started it all for apple.

So I hope that staying true to their musical roots mean we will one day see an ipod like SJism23 mentioned above: Thinner /SSD/ Better DAC/ lightning connector just for starters, you know, just one awesome dedicated music device.

I'd even be happy with this if it was a one time special hifi edition to mark its anniversary or something before they choose to drop it.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I simply just LOVE the feel of the iPod classic in my hand...the weight of it, the bevelled edges, the smooth steel backside :p

I hope apple continues the classic line and evolves it to an even higher level. I would also like some special editions and maybe a retro design version...

That would be awesome if they did... but I think it's too niche for Apple to make. They'd only sell a few thousand tops in this day and age of the iPhone, Touch and Nanos

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
After my Ipod 4th gen click wheel's hard drive died and I tried but hated the Nano 7th gen, I now will buy the Classic 7th gen, I'm using a Sansa clip zip for podcasts while I wait a little longer to see if Apple updates the Classic.

My question is what happens if Apple announces they are discontinuing the Classic? Will we still be able to buy a new one or does Apple act like a tyrannical government and immediately prevent all stores from selling any?

I can't see why Apple would do this, one would figure they would not have a problem with the last second rush for people waiting on a Classic update but as we know, Apple does not always act with common sense.

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
After my Ipod 4th gen click wheel's hard drive died and I tried but hated the Nano 7th gen, I now will buy the Classic 7th gen, I'm using a Sansa clip zip for podcasts while I wait a little longer to see if Apple updates the Classic.

My question is what happens if Apple announces they are discontinuing the Classic? Will we still be able to buy a new one or does Apple act like a tyrannical government and immediately prevent all stores from selling any?

I can't see why Apple would do this, one would figure they would not have a problem with the last second rush for people waiting on a Classic update but as we know, Apple does not always act with common sense.

I bought a 2G Nano several days after the 3G hit the shelves. If Apple announces they are dropping the Classic run, don't walk, to your nearest Classic outlet and buy one. They will not last long.

racoop

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
I bought a 2G Nano several days after the 3G hit the shelves. If Apple announces they are dropping the Classic run, don't walk, to your nearest Classic outlet and buy one. They will not last long.

Folks have predicting the imminent discontinuation of the Classic for years now. It's still the 4th most popular selling MP3 player on Amazon (if you believe their sorting). When I bought my 7G Nano a couple of months ago, the Apple sales guy told me they still move lots of Classics. I don't see them getting axed, no way.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I still have hope for an updated iPod Classic. Reasonable updates would include an SSD (and a thinner body, too), a retina screen, a Lightning connector, and a better quality sound chip.

But then again, Apple isn't known to be reasonable all of the time :p

That would be pretty much my ideal iPod classic as well, but with a larger memory capacity for, as i travel a lot, I'm one of those who likes to carry my entire music library with me

Very nicely expressed. And I agree entirely with you. I also have the 64GB iTouch, but my 80GB classic travels the world with me.

Folks have predicting the imminent discontinuation of the Classic for years now. It's still the 4th most popular selling MP3 player on Amazon (if you believe their sorting). When I bought my 7G Nano a couple of months ago, the Apple sales guy told me they still move lots of Classics. I don't see them getting axed, no way.

Exactly. Some people have been writing the premature obituary of the classic for years, but there is still a considerable demand for the particular set of needs it meets, especially for those (of us) who have large music collections, want to be able to listen to our entire collection in remote spots, and also, people who travel quite a bit.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007

Seriously? I mean who can afford to pay $399 for a 64GB version? I just bought a 64gb micro SD card for my Android phone for only $25......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.