Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
We were hesitating to buy our children either a Nintendo 3DS or an iPod Touch.
Now, we have twins so buying them both an iPod Touch 5G would cost quite a bit of money.
Therefore, we are considering a 4G.
But I'm wondering : the 4G still has as A4 processor, ie slow when compared to the iPad 2, which they play games on right now.
Is it still a good idea to buy a 4G ? I also think that iOS 7 will not be coming to the 4G as it's the minimum requirement for iOS6.
Also, would they be missing out on lots of games with a 4G ? I would test out performance on my iPhone but that's a 4S, which has an A5 processor so that's not a good reference.

Anyone playing lots of games on a 4G ? Is it still worth getting now or should we pay more for the new 5G ?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
If you intend for the device to play games, then 5G is the way to go. 4G can't handle much games without stuttering and lagging.

Buy one 5th generation touch and let both of them share?

Reactions: Kumiko

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I bought my brothers 4th generation iPod touches each last year. Now they're showing their age.

They play games but it is not a smooth experience.

I think at this point in time the wisest course of action is to buy the 5th generation.

Perhaps pick up some refurbs?

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
I guess the 4G is out then.
The 3DS is still an option, but games are more expensive than the ones on the app store (but they're not really comparable either).
The 3DS costs about 200 euros with a game included, the iPod Touch 5G costs 329 euros. Times two that's 400 euros for the 3DS, 660 euros for the iPod touch. For 260 euro, we can buy lots of games...
Or we could buy one 5G, one 3DS, let them take turns...

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
I guess the 4G is out then.
The 3DS is still an option, but games are more expensive than the ones on the app store (but they're not really comparable either).
The 3DS costs about 200 euros with a game included, the iPod Touch 5G costs 329 euros. Times two that's 400 euros for the 3DS, 660 euros for the iPod touch. For 260 euro, we can buy lots of games...
Or we could buy one 5G, one 3DS, let them take turns...

How old are they?
You should ask them what they like more before you rush into stores
I am not a big fan of the 3/DS simply cause the games ain't better nor do they offer more fun to the 'player'

Cut the Rope is one of 'THE' coolest mobile games I've ever played so far, even though it's just simple sliding over the screen.

I don't know how old they are but they would have their first own (good) camera in their hands, maybe they gonna be big photographers, there is so much to explore.

You could transfer a movie on their iPod for long travel 'n' stuff
It also has better battery life + you can charge it over USB in your car (Car cigar jack)
It's a little bit complicated with the DSs connector to charge on tour^^

If you wanna show them something cool you can try Augmented Reality stuff, there are some Tower Defense games in the store :) I am sure there are different type of A.R. games but I am not a big user ;)
Just for you to get the idea.

Simpsons: Tapped Out is only available on mobile platforms (Android, iOS) as well as many other games (The Library is much larger on iOS than Nintendo's)
They would love that game I am absolutely sure :) and it's FREE! :eek:

but I dunno know your kids so don't judge me if they hate it^^
Good luck :)

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
I have a 3DS and a iPhone, and trust me the 3DS is not as much fun :/.

I'd look on amazon to see if you could get used good condition 5'th gens if your looking to save money. I'd stay away from the 4'th gen like the plague though, my friend has one and it lags even when she is sliding to Unlock the device.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
They'll be 7 next month and they already love playing on the iPad. That said, they absolutely adore Wii games as well, so it's a tough call. But I feel the 4G iPod Touch is out. 5G looks awesome but pricey...

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
If they enjoy gaming on the iPad and the 5th generation touch is too much, perhaps you could get them Nexus 7's? They have plenty of power and while android doesn't have as many games as iOS there are still PLENTY out there to enjoy. All for $199. They're also more portable than the iPad and can take more of a beating so travel wouldn't be an issue.

http://www.google.com/nexus/7/

Last edited:

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
If they enjoy gaming on the iPad and the 5th generation touch is too much, perhaps you could get them Nexus 7's? They have plenty of power and while android doesn't have as many games as iOS there are still PLENTY out there to enjoy. All for $199. They're also more portable than the iPad and can take more of a beating so travel wouldn't be an issue.

http://www.google.com/nexus/7/

I think there is an updated version coming very soon, so I would advice you to wait... Or am I wrong?^^ of course I can be wrong, I am not big in the android scene, tho I very much like the nexus series :)

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
why not PSP?

PSP is cheaper now (not to vita) and get them rpg type games, that could last longer. I think there are plenty of second hand games you can find online market. Dont worry about the game price since people are playing them and resale all the time. U get a good deal and the quality of games are way bettery than what you get on Mobile.

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
The 5th generation iPod is the way to go. My brother has a 4th gen. and it's very slow in general - even performing simple tasks like opening the Messages app take a long time.

Oh and don't consider the 3DS or PSP or anything, they can get iPod games for free whenever they like, and even when they want a paid game it's highly unlikely that it'll be over 3 bucks. Oh, and you won't have to buy games twice with the iPods, but you will with the other portable systems.

Get the 5th gen. iPod. Pricey but worth it.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
why not PSP?

PSP is cheaper now (not to vita) and get them rpg type games, that could last longer. I think there are plenty of second hand games you can find online market. Dont worry about the game price since people are playing them and resale all the time. U get a good deal and the quality of games are way bettery than what you get on Mobile.

Why get a PSP? I heard the battery when gaming only last 4-5 hrs.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Depends how much you paid for it. Just yesterday I bought a 64gb 4th for $115. That's was worth it.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I think there is an updated version coming very soon, so I would advice you to wait... Or am I wrong?^^ of course I can be wrong, I am not big in the android scene, tho I very much like the nexus series :)

I wouldn't expect an updated version any sooner than May. If not June. I could be wrong too however.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
On that PSP : it doesn't really seem like a bad idea. It's dirt cheap, there's a huge catalogue of games to choose from, they can play video, music on it...

It's still officially available so I might look into that. My wife wants them to have an iPod Touch 5G but I'm always thinking of my wallet. Also, I find them a little too young to be hauling such an expensive device around...

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
On that PSP : it doesn't really seem like a bad idea. It's dirt cheap, there's a huge catalogue of games to choose from, they can play video, music on it...

It's still officially available so I might look into that. My wife wants them to have an iPod Touch 5G but I'm always thinking of my wallet. Also, I find them a little too young to be hauling such an expensive device around...
Although I have an iPod Touch, iPhone, and a variety of portable devices, I still enjoy and use my PSP. The SensMe channels are a fun way to listen to music. and videos still play great on it. Memory cards have come down in price and DealExtreme sells memory stick adapters that accept microSD cards.

asiangangster

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
Los Angelos U.S.A
Why get a PSP? I heard the battery when gaming only last 4-5 hrs.

Beeplance I think that they should get a ps4 because it has better HD graphics, better games and it will have a faster processor. Also ps4 is the latest installment in the play station series and Japan will not disappoint us. Ps4 will likely achieve the most sales this year due to its high popularity. Plus ps4 has a wireless controller:D

bluez3

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
Doc,
if you are what your user name suggests, why are you worrying about your wallet? I can understand prudence when needed, but when you are considering getting 7 year old kids expensive toys like this, i would think you have already written off financial issues as a limiting factor.

Either get them both the 5G touches, or if money is still an issue, then get them nothing and teach them to appreciate the world around them not just whats on a 4" retina display.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Doc,
if you are what your user name suggests, why are you worrying about your wallet? I can understand prudence when needed, but when you are considering getting 7 year old kids expensive toys like this, i would think you have already written off financial issues as a limiting factor.

Either get them both the 5G touches, or if money is still an issue, then get them nothing and teach them to appreciate the world around them not just whats on a 4" retina display.
I agree. If money is an issue ipod touch should not even be on the menu. It's a premium product and there are cheaper alternatives, not as good but cheaper depending its intended use.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Doc,

That's true. When I was their age, I was playing with my Power Ranger Megazords, back then it was like the most amazing toy in the universe.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
This situation right here is why it was a terrible idea for Apple to still sell the iPod Touch 4G, I mean who thought that was a good idea? The device was already 2 years old.

What SHOULD have happened is the 4th gen dropped and a 16GB 5th GEN iPod Touch @ $200 or even $220. I think they would have had better sales had they done this rather than trying to sell old technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.