Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjbeh

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
Malaysia
Sure I'll see if i can do that tomorrow. I'm using Sticker boy all around. Back/Front/Sides

For the front I am using a GLAS.tR and the Sticker boy skins for the front works flawlessly with that.

Nice. You just gave me an idea on how to work with my iphone combo! :D Thanks!

Kevin813

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Sure I'll see if i can do that tomorrow. I'm using Sticker boy all around. Back/Front/Sides

For the front I am using a GLAS.tR and the Sticker boy skins for the front works flawlessly with that.

Wait, did you put the front sticker right over the glas.t? I was going to get a fullbody, but already had the Pure on the front, so I did not want to remove it. What does the skin look like on the Pure?

spaceballs

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Let us know how it goes. I read down the page about important facts:

maintenance required - reheat when you see the chamfer edge lift.

how long will the hold last? let us know! Thanks

I asked about that. It's a simple message to give it a heat treatment if an area lifted. Can be from a weak heat job in one area, dropping your phone, pulling it out of you tight jeans or sleeve. They explained if you give it a nice clean with alcohol and good install, it is highly unlikely to lift.

The meaning of a good install = #1 heat the edge #2 then press while the film is soft. This gives a nice seal along the edge. Do not press and try to fold with your fingernail and then heat. It's been 7 days since the install. I made sure to give it a few extra rounds of heat on corners and both sides. No lift. I left it in my car last week for hours in freezing temp while shoveling 10" of snow, no lift.

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
California
Wait, did you put the front sticker right over the glas.t? I was going to get a fullbody, but already had the Pure on the front, so I did not want to remove it. What does the skin look like on the Pure?

I've been holding off on installing the front skin. Since I've been using a tempered glass screen protector. But I figured. If i wanted the ultimate combo/protection for a naked iPhone why not cover the front as well and make it different. So i just lined up the camera/earpiece grill and went from there. The sides are perfectly straight and pretty happy with the install.

I might buy an all Red skin from them soon. So i'd have a Red iPhone 5 and I can use my Twelve South Surfacepad with it as well

Kevin813

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Can u post pics of what a front sticker looks like on ur glas.tr? And do u put the home button stickers on, even with the depression from the glas.tr?

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
California
Can u post pics of what a front sticker looks like on ur glas.tr? And do u put the home button stickers on, even with the depression from the glas.tr?

I decided to put on the Orange Home Button Sticker from SGP. Was inspired from that video someone posted on the first page.

I think it's better to put on the button because it'll feel really weird without it.

Attachments

• IMG_0772.jpeg
    IMG_0772.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0775.jpeg
    IMG_0775.jpeg
    497 KB · Views: 169

Delta438

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
here's a Coupon Code I used ( tts2 )
How do you use this coupon code? Just type it into additional details before you checkout?
I'm thinking about getting one of these skins for my phone. However, I have a couple questions I was hoping someone could answer.

1. Assuming I want to do a wet install so that there are no mistakes with alignment, what solution do I use? I've heard either glass cleaner or water with soap, and I'm not sure which is better.

2. Won't the liquid from the wet install damage the phone if it gets in? That one hole to the right of the camera looks really vulnerable.
I still hope someone can answer this.

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
California
How do you use this coupon code? Just type it into additional details before you checkout?

I still hope someone can answer this.

Before you finalize your purchase through paypal. There will be a little bar where you can enter the code. It's the final step i believe.

Don't do a wet install unless you're using the clear film from sticker boy. The clear skin is a different material so it's better to do a wet install.

The rest of their skins on the other hand is made to be installed dry.

I think it's better to use water and a tiny drop of hand soap

Delta438

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
Before you finalize your purchase through paypal. There will be a little bar where you can enter the code. It's the final step i believe.

Don't do a wet install unless you're using the clear film from sticker boy. The clear skin is a different material so it's better to do a wet install.

The rest of their skins on the other hand is made to be installed dry.

I think it's better to use water and a tiny drop of hand soap

Thanks! Ordered sides and upper and lower back skins, with a matte mid back. The code still works, I'm surprised it hasn't expired yet.

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
California
Thanks! Ordered sides and upper and lower back skins, with a matte mid back. The code still works, I'm surprised it hasn't expired yet.

Awesome man! Post up the pictures when you get to install them.. I'm thinking of getting all red soon. So when I get it. I'll post some pictures!

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
Just a quickie suggestion... avoid the CF skins. Seems that since they're a bit more rigid (read thicker) they don't really want to conform as nicely as the vinyl skins even after thoroughly heated with a blow dryer.

Granted, in my Sector 5 it's fine since as the case itself pretty much pins the skin into place but yeah... the instant I take my phone out of the case they flare out, no matter how much heating :\

Going to order some basic black vinyl skins soon. :(

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
California
Just a quickie suggestion... avoid the CF skins. Seems that since they're a bit more rigid (read thicker) they don't really want to conform as nicely as the vinyl skins even after thoroughly heated with a blow dryer.

Granted, in my Sector 5 it's fine since as the case itself pretty much pins the skin into place but yeah... the instant I take my phone out of the case they flare out, no matter how much heating :\

Going to order some basic black vinyl skins soon. :(

That's a shame to hear. I personally haven't tried nor like CF skins at all. But so far the basic black/smooth skin and anti bacterial red is amazing. It's sticking pretty well. Only heated once and haven't had any issues of lifting.

I'm currently rocking it with the Surfacepad. It's a great combo. Let me know if you're interested in photos.

Rhythmic-

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
That's a shame to hear. I personally haven't tried nor like CF skins at all. But so far the basic black/smooth skin and anti bacterial red is amazing. It's sticking pretty well. Only heated once and haven't had any issues of lifting.

I'm currently rocking it with the Surfacepad. It's a great combo. Let me know if you're interested in photos.

Can you post pictures? Really interested in how this combo looks.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I ordered the clear matte skin for the iPhone 5 from **********. I have to say I'm happy with it, although it's not a perfect fit, there's still a bit of a gap, but I would say it's quite good. I really like the way the iPhone looks now, and I agree it's the thinnest case one can get. Since it's not perfectly fit, there is dirt accumulating in the place the sticker meets the phone which is not nice.

Also the clear skin doesn't add protection to the chamfered edges.

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
California
Here's the Sticker Boy Red Anti Bacterial Matched with the Twelve South Surfacepad in Red. Now the Red of the Twelve South is just a tad bit darker than the Sticker boy Skins.

Sorry for the quality. Took pics with the iPad 3

Attachments

• image-1.jpeg
    image-1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 146
  • image-2.jpeg
    image-2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 131

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Here's the Sticker Boy Red Anti Bacterial Matched with the Twelve South Surfacepad in Red. Now the Red of the Twelve South is just a tad bit darker than the Sticker boy Skins.

Sorry for the quality. Took pics with the iPad 3

Love the look.

Delta438

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
Alrighty, I have my skins installed. Stealth black for upper and lower back, red for sides (no chamfered protection) and matte mid back. Considered off topic since I didn't get the chamfered protection, but just thought I'd chime in.

P.S. Does anyone else with a matte skin know if I can peel it off and reapply it? I know for a fact that its sticky as hell, and I'm afraid I might stretch it to the point that its unusuable. And I know I can definitely do a better job if I reapply it.

Delta438

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
Pictures in case anyone's interested.

Attachments

• IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0108.JPG
    IMG_0108.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 150

bigpika

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2013
Scotland
Hi, my 1st post on here, thought i'd give my opinion after getting these

i had a matte skin on the back and sides of my iphone. i dropped my phone and marked the side. I seen they were bringing out sides and thought perfect it would cover the mark. So i ordered a 2 tone kit, black for the top and bottom and slate jet black brushed for the middle.

As mentioned earlier in the thread the slate skin is thicker and harder to mould round the edges. So i ordered black side skins for my phone, they are thinner and easier to apply but, i am still getting wee bit round the phone where its starting to come up. Slightly disappointed as its a great idea and offers a little protection for someone who doesnt want a case.

jammerz

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
Mobile site only allows me to upload one photo per post lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 86

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
Any suggestion on which of their skin color better approximate the stock grey(and white) and black(slate) of the original iphone 5's aluminum?

I know they have clear but they are not available in the extreme cut or chamfer versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.