Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Hello guys,

I was just wondering that if all the rumours around are true then there is pretty much nothing from Apple until july-september.
It used to be iPad in March, Laptops around April, iPhone around june/ july, iPod september etc.
So, do you really think that they will move everything to late this year and we are not gonna get anything for the first half of the year (if we are lucky)?

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
So, do you really think that they will move everything to late this year and we are not gonna get anything for the first half of the year (if we are lucky)?
It does feel that way, doesnt it?

Personally, I felt that 2012 was a weak year for Apple so I really believed the iPad, Mac Pro, AppleTV and Time Capsule would be updated by Spring. But now It really does seem like nothing substantial is in store. I guess we can claim this is a good thing because with so much internal restructuring and rethinking going on at Apple then its better to perfect products rather than release them just to stay on schedule. But still... its been a long time since Apple really made something that impressive.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
If Apple does come out with new products around fall, it is going to be far better than put up something without much innovation in March, consumers have better choice nowadays, it is between devil and deep sea for apple.:D

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Setting realistic expectations is a problem for Mac enthusiasts largely due to Apples history of extreme hype.

It seems as though the most likely scenario for 2013 is Apples focus on iWatch as a diversion from anything more substantial.

That's a smart way to draw attention away from the very minor refinements they're likely to apply to their other products. After all even Apple can run out of big ideas.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I will be curious to see what comes out of MWC next week. There is a rumored update to the Nexus 10. But personally I'm more interested in seeing what new phones will be announced. I'm hoping this will push Apple to keep innovating. After all, whether one is an iOS or Android fan, competition is good. We (the consumer) win.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Hello guys,

I was just wondering that if all the rumours around are true then there is pretty much nothing from Apple until july-september.
It used to be iPad in March, Laptops around April, iPhone around june/ july, iPod september etc.
Yep, Apple is nowadays driven by profits. That's why almost ALL new products from Apple were announced in September and October of 2012.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Um, what exactly are people looking for the first few months of the year (besides the Mac Pro)? You want Apple to be coming out with new stuff every 6 months? Then people will be whining that they got screwed because the [insert product name here] they just bought is out of date/useless.

Apple's biggest focus needs to be on software and services. I'd happily take no devices doe a while if it meant Apple was focusing on making iOS/iCloud better.

----------

Yep, Apple is nowadays driven by profits. That's why almost ALL new products from Apple were announced in September and October of 2012.

As if other public corporations aren't?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'd happily take no devices doe a while if it meant Apple was focusing on making iOS/iCloud better.

I agree completely. Apple has struggled for years due to their failure to learn about how the cloud works. It became very apparent to me after living with MobileMe for two years. After they migrated to iCloud I use it even less. I'd like nothing better than for Apple to catch up with Google, Dropbox, and others.

Currently Apple loves to brag about how many are using iCloud. Yet they fail to be honest & share the fact that everyone that buys an iPad, iPhone, MBP or MBA usually tick the box to include it during setup. Thats Apples convincing marketing at work.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Still kind of wonder why the iPad 4 was released. Was it really necessary to unify the lightning connector with current products? If the iPad 2 wasn't still on sale, I would understand that.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I'm actually more excited to see what iOS will become now that Ive is part of the division. I'm perfectly happy with my mini and iPhone. But the interface is getting a bit dated.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hello guys,

Key word is RUMOUR. Don't take nothing they say as fact. Just wait and see what happens.

And keep in mind that coming later in the year isn't always a bad thing, if it means they took their time to reduce issues. Would you want them to rush to get new laptops out, particularly 'retina' style ones with the laminate displays while still dealing with constant iMac demand and perhaps screw something up just so you can have them in April/May. Or wait until like August when they can really focus.

----------

Personally, I felt that 2012 was a weak year for Apple so I really believed the iPad, Mac Pro, AppleTV and Time Capsule would be updated by Spring. But now It really does seem like nothing substantial is in store. I guess we can claim this is a good thing because with so much internal restructuring and rethinking going on at Apple then its better to perfect products rather than release them just to stay on schedule. But still... its been a long time since Apple really made something that impressive.

A lot of folks are saying that but its a false view in some ways. 2012 was the first Tim Cook flies solo with the Steve Jobs in the background (and able to consult) parachute. So perhaps he put a few things on the back burner, like a totally revamped AppleTV STB and the revamped Mac Pro, to give everyone, including himself, time to adjust. In light of that possibility 2012 was a pretty strong year since they could have halted a lot more stuff.

If by 2014-15 they aren't back in a groove then we have a possible issue

----------

Still kind of wonder why the iPad 4 was released. Was it really necessary to unify the lightning connector with current products? If the iPad 2 wasn't still on sale, I would understand that.

Or to shift all iOS releases to the fall with iOS. A lot of folks thought it was lame that the new iOS came out in the fall, but the new iPad hardware was six months behind. So features were missing cause the hardware wasn't there etc.

But when the iPhone was delayed 4-5 months off the 'traditional' cycle, they gave Apple hell over it.

So Apple saw two reasons, pr and the connector, to go short on the time adjustment.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009

Oh yes I liked them better back when they never made those icky filthy profits!:rolleyes:
That's not what I meant. Of course, the goal of a commercial organisation - like Apple - is to make profits.

What I mean is, that in the past Apple didn't really care when they launched their products, while right now it is more like "Our best-selling products will not be updated until right before the holiday season, so we can report a record-breaking quarter!" instead of the older attitude of "Hey! We know it's only April, but we've got something really exciting that we want to share."

With that older attitude, their main goal wasn't to report record-breaking revenues and profits for the October-November-December quarter.

Their goal was to release exciting new products all throughout the year, to satisfy customers.
Right now, their goal is to release most of their new products near the holiday season, to satisfy shareholders.

It's not really a problem right now, but I feel like that's a bad attitude - or at least worse compared to the old attitude. It is unpersonal, if that makes any sense.

rocat1997

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
Fort Worth
I don't know why everyone keeps bashing iCloud. It has worked flawless for me and has been quite useable. It wasn't long ago that we didn't have a feature like this. iCloud has saved the day many times for me. I think people just can't be pleased no matter how well a product is.

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
I don't know about weak.... they released the Retina MacBook Pro, iPhone 5, iPad Mini and new iPods and iMacs + Mountain Lion, let's not talk about IOS 6 :)

What are people looking for?

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
That's not what I meant. Of course, the goal of a commercial organisation - like Apple - is to make profits.

What I mean is, that in the past Apple didn't really care when they launched their products, while right now it is more like "Our best-selling products will not be updated until right before the holiday season, so we can report a record-breaking quarter!" instead of the older attitude of "Hey! We know it's only April, but we've got something really exciting that we want to share."

With that older attitude, their main goal wasn't to report record-breaking revenues and profits for the October-November-December quarter.

Their goal was to release exciting new products all throughout the year, to satisfy customers.
Right now, their goal is to release most of their new products near the holiday season, to satisfy shareholders.

It's not really a problem right now, but I feel like that's a bad attitude - or at least worse compared to the old attitude. It is unpersonal, if that makes any sense.

Perhaps your memory is off but Apple's share price has only been buoyed up by record profits over the previous year, which is why they staggered introductions, so each quarter would have a buying surge to boost it past the same previous-year quarter. The recent drop in price has occurred precisly because of what you're claiming is driving Apple today -- pushing too much product into the year-end quarter. The market has concerns (appropriately so) that the coming quarter will underperform which is why the share price has dropped. Putting all your eggs in the Christmas basket is a poor strategy that doesn't do much for share price.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Hello guys,

If I were a betting man, I'd say we'll get a new iPad Mini, with a Retina display, and specs like the iPad 3.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Um, what exactly are people looking for the first few months of the year (besides the Mac Pro)? You want Apple to be coming out with new stuff every 6 months? Then people will be whining that they got screwed because the [insert product name here] they just bought is out of date/useless.

no, its not that. Yes, Mac Pro is a great example how things are neglected.
On the other hand, when they designed mini they new that they would do full size ipad that would get things shaved off too so why not having that released next month? As soon, as the iMac get undercontrol why not releasing thunderbold display? Mac mini could use some love too and retina could see better specs in GPU. Also, why not 17" retina? that would be the best one for me. Also, software was a bit neglected too. No Aperture updates, no logic updates etc etc etc.

With the size of the company and the amount of brains they have they could keep things on top of the game, right? Remember how they killed Shake which was the best compositing package out there and industry standard? They bought it, neglected it and killed it. Why?

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
OMG , its February and Apple hasn't announced anything, OMG OMG OMG. Oh wait, a 128GB iPad and iOS 6.1. WWDC coming in 3 months. GET A GRIP!

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
OMG , its February and Apple hasn't announced anything, OMG OMG OMG. Oh wait, a 128GB iPad and iOS 6.1. WWDC coming in 3 months. GET A GRIP!
I wouldn't call those things exciting:

- a 128 GB variant of an iPad that was released last year (with a European price of almost $900 (+$200 taxes)).
- iOS 6.1 which really should have been called something like iOS 6.0.3 (and "iOS 6.0.0" felt more like "iOS 5.2", to me).
- "WWDC coming in three months" < nothing has been announced yet, although it's a safe bet

You know, Apple isn't doing bad (they are doing great, actually). It's not like sales will drop with 90% or something like that. Things are changing, though, and for the first time in a long time, I and others have doubts about Apple taking the right decisions.

We're talking about something long-term. Their short-term business will be just fine. :)

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I wouldn't call those things exciting:

- a 128 GB variant of an iPad that was released last year (with a European price of almost $900 (+$200 taxes)).
- iOS 6.1 which really should have been called something like iOS 6.0.3 (and "iOS 6.0.0" felt more like "iOS 5.2", to me).
- "WWDC coming in three months" < nothing has been announced yet, although it's a safe bet

You know, Apple isn't doing bad (they are doing great, actually). It's not like sales will drop with 90% or something like that. Things are changing, though, and for the first time in a long time, I and others have doubts about Apple taking the right decisions.

We're talking about something long-term. Their short-term business will be just fine. :)

I laughed hard.

This is what Apple fans are expecting from Apple now. I see their expectations...have dropped somewhat.

I never said any of this was exciting however they are releases none the less, 6 weeks after the holiday. Contrary to popular belief Apple is made up of human beings, not robots that just crank out AMAZING every couple weeks because fans are so A.D.D. Yet here they are, disappointed after a couple months. Apple had 2 back to back events in the fall in case anyone forgot.

I know the iPad mini, iPad 4, new iMac, MB pro, MB air, earpods, iPhone 5, and new iPods are soooooooo 4 months ago.

polbit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2002
South Carolina
I hate to say it, but as an Apple user since Apple II days, I'm slowly drifting away. IMHO, it's just amazing that while Microsoft used to be the old school (1984 commercial anyone), and Apple was the young, hot, innovating company once Steve came back, it's just an opposite now. Apple keeps releasing the same old, same old, while Microsoft is really trying to do something new. Metro UI is really something new and interesting, and the Surface tablets are quite a feat in the design department. Far from perfect of course, but it's so refreshing to see a good looking design from somebody else than Apple.

I first replaced my iPhone 4 with Galaxy Note II as iPhone 5 just didn't cut it for me - outside of talking on my phone in the car, where the actual phone doesn't matter much with BT handsfree, I use my phone for browsing and apps. I've had my Note II for only few weeks, but Apple has lost me unless I can get a 5" or so iPhone, and with something more than grids of icons... My wife switched few months back to a Galaxy SIII, and it's the same.

Now I just got Surface Pro, and it's such an eye-opener. Not really a direct competitor to the iPad, as it is much heavier and the battery life is not even close, but the ability to actually run a full OS, install Visual Studio and full Office, and it being completely usable, is fantastic. I basically replaced a small phone and a nice tablet with a large phablet and a hybrid tablet/laptop. Since this is an Apple forum, I'm sure I'm not going to get a lot of love, but I dare people to actually give Surface an honest try. It's much worse at certain aspects, but much better in other ways, as compared to the iPad. For some people, iPad is definitely a better solution, but I bet that for a lot of others, Surface would make more sense.

The only Apple product you could not take away from me is my MBP - best damn laptop ever.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I laughed hard.

This is what Apple fans are expecting from Apple now. I see their expectations...have dropped somewhat.

They just refreshed basically their entire product line last summer/fall. What are you expecting from them right now? You need new products from them every other month?

----------

no, its not that. Yes, Mac Pro is a great example how things are neglected.
On the other hand, when they designed mini they new that they would do full size ipad that would get things shaved off too so why not having that released next month? As soon, as the iMac get undercontrol why not releasing thunderbold display? Mac mini could use some love too and retina could see better specs in GPU. Also, why not 17" retina? that would be the best one for me. Also, software was a bit neglected too. No Aperture updates, no logic updates etc etc etc.

With the size of the company and the amount of brains they have they could keep things on top of the game, right? Remember how they killed Shake which was the best compositing package out there and industry standard? They bought it, neglected it and killed it. Why?

I won't disagree with you on software. But since they refreshed most of their product line last summer/fall I guess I'm not expecting anything in Q1. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a new MacPro (and maybe Thunderbolt Display) at WWDC. Tim Cook said they were working on something for 2013, that would be the time to announce it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.