Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I believe it's the greatest tweak ever invented, if you are JB and don't have it you will never go back once you do

Last edited:

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I believe it's the greatest tweak ever invented, if you are JB and don't have it you will never go back

I'm familiar with it but I've never used it. I use Zephyr religiously so if the two don't play nicely together then I'd be hard pressed to switch. Do you know if SwipeNav works with Zephyr?

Also, isn't SwipeNav the same thing as Ryan Petrich's SwipeBack?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I'm familiar with it but I've never used it. I use Zephyr religiously so if the two don't play nicely together then I'd be hard pressed to switch. Do you know if SwipeNav works with Zephyr?

Also, isn't SwipeNav the same thing as Ryan Petrich's SwipeBack?

Yes they work beautifully together along w Sleipnizer. I use those three religiously, I could never use an iPhone without them. Awesome tweaks.

Swipe back is slightly different, you have to swipe all the way from the edge of the screen whereas Swipenav you just simply swipe anywhere on the screen. I like and use Swipenav much more

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Yes they work beautifully together along w Sleipnizer. I use those three religiously, I could never use an iPhone without them. Awesome tweaks.

Swipe back is slightly different, you have to swipe all the way from the edge of the screen whereas Swipenav you just simply swipe anywhere on the screen. I like and use Swipenav much more

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and installed the tweak. So far this seems like a keeper for me! I love Ryan Petrich's work but swiping from the edge to engage SwipeBack directly interferes with Zephyr. SwipeNav works much better for me because I can basically swipe anywhere on the screen and leave the edges for Zephyr. Thanks for suggesting this tweak. I'm surprised I haven't been using this already. I have gone back and forth on SwipeBack for a long time now because I wanted this functionality but kept getting frustrated. I can't believe I never gave SwipeNav a chance. I've come across it several times in Cydia but just skipped right past it.

I have a question for you. In settings under Excluded Apps, what is the difference between Disable and Force-Disable? Do you have any idea? Thanks again!

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and installed the tweak. So far this seems like a keeper for me! I love Ryan Petrich's work but swiping from the edge to engage SwipeBack directly interferes with Zephyr. SwipeNav works much better for me because I can basically swipe anywhere on the screen and leave the edges for Zephyr. Thanks for suggesting this tweak. I'm surprised I haven't been using this already. I have gone back and forth on SwipeBack for a long time now because I wanted this functionality but kept getting frustrated. I can't believe I never gave SwipeNav a chance. I've come across it several times in Cydia but just skipped right past it.

I have a question for you. In settings under Excluded Apps, what is the difference between Disable and Force-Disable? Do you have any idea? Thanks again!

No problem, I'm glad you like it. Yeah I forgot that swipeback can conflict with Zephyr. As for the force disable question I'm not sure, that's a good question. You should email the author, I'm sure they could explain it. I'd like to know too!

mi3x

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
Thanks guys for pointing to this app, just installed it and it's great. One question though, It seems it doesn't work with safari. It won't go back a page. Is this because I use sleipnizer, or it simply won't work in a browser? Thanks.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Thanks guys for pointing to this app, just installed it and it's great. One question though, It seems it doesn't work with safari. It won't go back a page. Is this because I use sleipnizer, or it simply won't work in a browser? Thanks.

No it only works in iOS apps, not in browsers.

SwipeBack, another similar tweak, will do this

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I donated to SwipeNav, it's so awesome specially with the iPhone 5 because it's difficult to reach the left corner. Combined with Zephyr I can navigate everything without a click of a button

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Anyone used SwipeNav?

Wow, I can't believe I overlooked this tweak until now. Always hated having to hit the upper left button just to go back (android did this right). Thanks!

Ah, sleipnizer is amazing too. Always liked the quick switching tab gesture in chrome but zephyr made it pretty frustrating. Also prefer safari so this worked out great. Other gestures and OpenBG+ is also a welcome addition.

Last edited:

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
Tried it and then deleted it because its pretty much useless. Not sure what makes this the "greatest tweak ever" but opinions vary of course. Nothing special about it though.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Tried it and then deleted it because its pretty much useless. Not sure what makes this the "greatest tweak ever" but opinions vary of course. Nothing special about it though.

Maybe not the greatest tweak ever (that belongs to zephyr) but not useless. Reaching to the upper left to go back is a bit annoying, especially on the iPhone 5 like mentioned above. Maybe it's a bigger deal to me bc I came from smartphones with back buttons at the bottom (winmo, android).

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012

Yea I deleted it too. As you can see from my post above I was really excited to learn about this tweak. But in the end I deleted it.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011

How is it useless?

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
How is it useless?

Useless might have been a bad choice of word - but it wasn't anything special. In all honesty it's quicker just hitting the back button. Besides, I like to keep my apps/tweaks to a minimum - installing only what I really need and not everything that I like.

If others did the same, you wouldn't be seeing multiple "my battery life is terrible since Jailbreaking" threads on the first page so often.

Discipline is a must when it comes to JB'ing. The n00bs will eventually figure this out.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
For one handed use, I personally find it easier to swipe anywhere versus reaching for a button at the upper left. But to each their own.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Useless might have been a bad choice of word - but it wasn't anything special. In all honesty it's quicker just hitting the back button. Besides, I like to keep my apps/tweaks to a minimum - installing only what I really need and not everything that I like.

If others did the same, you wouldn't be seeing multiple "my battery life is terrible since Jailbreaking" threads on the first page so often.

Discipline is a must when it comes to JB'ing. The n00bs will eventually figure this out.

If it wasn't quicker and easier using the tweak I wouldn't. I can't possibly see how you could argue that something further away is quicker.

As far as battery, these little tweaks make very little if any difference in battery life compared to things such as wifi, Bluetooth, location services, data, Internet, camera, image viewing, etc.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
What changed since you first installed it?

I couldn't get into the habit of using it and on top of that I was triggering it accidentally. It just made my experience worse so I removed it. I'm happy with Zephyr and just using my thumb to tap the button to go back.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Thread revival! Anyone still using this? Swipeback is now part of iOS 7, although I would much prefer zephyr app switching gestures. Hopefully we don't lose it.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Thread revival! Anyone still using this? Swipeback is now part of iOS 7, although I would much prefer zephyr app switching gestures. Hopefully we don't lose it.

You mean stock iOS 7 has swipeback? Are you sure it's the exact same thing as the Cydia tweak?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've got it installed. Trying it out. So far it looks like I may remove it if it continues to annoy me. It works but it seems you have to catch it just right or something. Or maybe I'm just not doing it right?

Any time I try to swipe back or forward it take multiple tries.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Just installed SwipeBack and it's far more responsive. I don't use Zephyr so this is an option for me.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
You mean stock iOS 7 has swipeback? Are you sure it's the exact same thing as the Cydia tweak?

Well it only works in stock apps but I believe 3rd party devs can incorporate it (some apps already have a similar gesture already).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.