Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canwe3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Iphone 5 shuts off on it's own when the battery is full. You can't start it up pressing just power. You have to use power and home. This isn't the first time that has happen. This has happened about 5times since the launch date. So average about once a month. Missed alarm twice because of it.

Anyone else having this issue?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Iphone 5 shuts off on it's own when the battery is full. You can't start it up pressing just power. You have to use power and home. This isn't the first time that has happen. This has happened about 5times since the launch date. So average about once a month. Missed alarm twice because of it.

no, try a restore...

that is absolutely not normal at all

canwe3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Jailbroken? iOS version?
never JB, latest IOS.

Yeah, definitely an issue. Try restoring it or bring it in to an Apple store for a replacement
I thought apple only replace it if you bought it from them. I bought mine at sprint store. I'm not sure if they would replace it now.
Try restoring and setting the phone like a new device. :)

The thing is this isn't consistence, it happen only 5times so average about once a month. Could it be because I don't ever reset my phone often so the phone autoshuts itself? when I had android I never turned my phone off and never had this issues. Friends and family iphone5 doesn't have this issue like I do.

guess I"ll have to restore. It's annoying though cause I have to install new apps, settings, set up email, etc.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010

Whoa very odd. Try calling Apple about that.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
never JB, latest IOS.

I thought apple only replace it if you bought it from them. I bought mine at sprint store. I'm not sure if they would replace it now.

The thing is this isn't consistence, it happen only 5times so average about once a month. Could it be because I don't ever reset my phone often so the phone autoshuts itself? when I had android I never turned my phone off and never had this issues. Friends and family iphone5 doesn't have this issue like I do.

guess I"ll have to restore. It's annoying though cause I have to install new apps, settings, set up email, etc.

You do not have to start re-installing anything. Just back up your iphone and restore from back up. See if that resolves the issue. If not then book an appointment with the genius in the apple store. Apple can see any iPhone no matter where you bought it from.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
never JB, latest IOS.

None of every single iPhone that i owned has ever done that, ive owned the first iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, Iphone 4S and the iPhone 5 and that has never happened once to me ever. iPhones are extremely reliable products and that should not be happening to you,

Like someone said, try a restore and if your still having problems go to a local Apple Store and they should swap out your phone for free

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
never JB, latest IOS.

They won't replace it with a fresh retail box full of headphones, charger etc but if the hardware is defective they will replace the phone under their manufacturer warranty.

Restore it, update it if needed, set it up as new with as few outside apps as you can and give it a go. If it makes it several days without any screwups, slowly add more apps giving it a few days between each batch and backing it up before you install a new group. Then you can see if its an app doing something really crazy thanks to some jacked coding.

If during those first few days it does the crashy thing, make the appointment etc.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.