Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ste1164

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2009
Or get an android phone if it bothers you that much. I usually hide them in folders.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Or get an android phone if it bothers you that much. I usually hide them in folders.

Don't you have to Root the phone still to do this? One of the things I like about the iPhone (may sound stupid) but I just have Apple stuff. I don't see AT&T logo at start up, no Verizon stuff on them, and just stuff like that.

ste1164

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2009
Don't you have to Root the phone still to do this? One of the things I like about the iPhone (may sound stupid) but I just have Apple stuff. I don't see AT&T logo at start up, no Verizon stuff on them, and just stuff like that.

You can disable the app if you have jellybean so you can't see it on your home screen/launcher. If you want to properly remove it you need to root your phone.

therationalist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
How is that bloatware? Apple maps rocks!

They are hardly bloatware....

LOL..whatever.

Some fanboys at my workplace convinced me to go to the ip5 claiming the lack of bloatware on iphones.

So I am really disappointed that I have this POS app called apple maps on my phone that I cannot get rid of. It rears its ugly head at the most inapropriate times. really annoying.

and thats without mentioning passbook, reminders and compass. Things I never use.

Never realized that apple peddled their overpriced crap with so much bloatware. Oh well. Looks like the grass isnt all that greener

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
tumblr_lyufmmtn711qdddnho1_500.jpg

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
LOL..whatever.

Some fanboys at my workplace convinced me to go to the ip5 claiming the lack of bloatware on iphones.

So I am really disappointed that I have this POS app called apple maps on my phone that I cannot get rid of. It rears its ugly head at the most inapropriate times. really annoying.

and thats without mentioning passbook, reminders and compass. Things I never use.

Never realized that apple peddled their overpriced crap with so much bloatware. Oh well. Looks like the grass isnt all that greener

Everything has bloatware then. You can't get Android with zero apps of any kind. Nor Windows. Nor Linux. Nor Mac OS X. Windows Phone 7/8 also has "bloatware" according to your definition. The list goes on and on.

On Android, carriers and OEMs tend to install their own apps that aren't there in stock/vanilla Android. T-Mobile for one installs a bunch of apps that work with T-Mobile services that not everyone uses. It's not part of stock/vanilla Android and it's hard to remove unless you root and/or install another ROM.

On iOS, carriers don't get to install anything on the device. Every single iPhone of the same generation has the same exact stuff installed on them. If I bought an iPhone 5 from Verizon, it'd have the exact same software on it as one from AT&T. It won't have carrier logos or any of that.

----------

Its bloatware because I dont want it and cant get rid of it. don't give me this semantics nonsense.

EDIT: lol..dude why you go back and change your post? comes across really weak.

According to this "logic", there is no electronic device in existence that has no bloatware on it. Not even if you built a PC and bought a system builder version of Windows and installed that, there is still bloatware because you can't uninstall the Calculator app. Or the Control Panel app. Or Windows Explorer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.