Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonathan20022

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree. While I agree the "idea" of it has improved, after having gone through four 2012 iMacs so far, all of them have absolutely CRAP viewing angles on black compared to my 2009 27" iMac. Whether it's due to the lamination process or other factors, the 2012 iMac isn't all roses.

And what's the one thing about the new iMac that's impressed me the most? Well, perhaps it's the lack of availability mid-February... or the lack of quality control, or the lack of good black viewing angles... Those things are very impressive! Didn't think it was possible for Apple to mess up this badly, but apparently they have. Huge Apple fan, here, but this launch was a bit of a joke, let's be honest.

In more seriousness, the GPU in this iMac (680) is a very impressive card, with great overclocking potential.

Even so, those are still production issues. Mainly the defects and such, it's no God among all in ones, but I'm certain I'll be happy with mine. Mine's arriving March 4-5th apparently, but if I get a dud then I'll swap the screen with the AppleCare I bought or get a new one.

Most launches have these defects, and bad availability for awhile. I remember my first PSVita having the worst lamination job on it's OLED screen, you could see the glue through whatever you were playing. And the original PS3 took me 3 months to actually track one down in a shop, the free time I had when I was younger haha. I spent so much time just calling into shops and asking if they had it in stock. As long as I get my iMac within a Month's time, I'll be satisfied.

iSmack

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2006
Denmark
I can see that a lot of you in this thread are either first buyers or coming from a very old iMac.

When switching from a mid 2011 to the "new revolutionary" 2012 model the differences are minimal - maybe even from a mid 2010 point of view. I would even dare to say that I prefer the 2011 model which is why I didn't go for the 2012 as planned.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
The thin profile is amazing.

I upgraded from a Mid-2008 24" so the Display is stunning!

Not sure if the Fusion Drive helped but I love how fast and smooth it is.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
The fact ppl buy apple desktops continues to surprise me

the fact that people buy a powerful laptop continues to surprise me. Why shouldn´t peoeple want a desktop ? A lot of people have jobs that require a desk....hence no point spending money on mobility and small screens.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Not buying one, but....

3 things strikes me the most:

1-How slim that thing is....:eek:
2-Amazing screen
3- How fast and snappier the Fusion drive feels....

:):apple:

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
United States
Nope, it was actually my main and only Mac that whole time. Used Illustrator on it, also.

Wow! Atleast I would assume you would have an external hard drive. Because 4gb isn't even enought to store 1 hd video. But I can see that you are incredibly patient considering that that machine must have been beyond slow

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
You and I are in the same boat in the sense that it's our first iMac. My last Mac of any stripe was a 1997 PowerMac 250MHz processor with a 4GB hard drive. It went on and on for me until last year, when it finally gave up the ghost.

I am still in the honeymoon phase with mine (got it Christmas morning, a total surprise gift by my lovely and amazing wife!)

One of the things I miss on the old Mac was the ability to play 3D games. I think Deus Ex was the last title I was able to play with more than a single digit frame rate. LOL

On this new Mac, oh my God! Rage looks amazing (I'm in the final mission on it, so I'll keep my spoilers to myself). Left 4 Dead 2 is butter-smooth at maxed out settings, Star Wars: KOTOR is fun, smooth, but doesn't drive the cutting edge graphically. Portal and Portal 2 both look incredible. I'm running out of adjectives! I'll probably be getting my Deus Ex freak on soon with Human Revolution when Steam has one of those crazy 30 minute sales!

So, games are a big one, and you can't play a great game with great graphics without noticing that amazing widescreen 21.5" IPS display. The mouth waters, my friend. The mouth waters.

Your wife is amazing!

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
This is my first iMac, I've had it for nearly 3 weeks and I'm so glad I switched to Mac.

I cannot say one thing, but the following things are what impress me:

1: The screen is an absolute stunner.

2: I wasn't expecting much from the built in speakers but I was really surprised by them, granted they don't have desk shaking bass, but the overall clarify is much better than what I was expecting.

3: After having a PC tower, the iMac is virtually silent, which is very welcome.

4: I find the iMac to be really fast (even though I went for the entry level 27 inch with Fusion Drive).

5: A reliable and stable OS.

6: Not having to run anti spyware, anti virus programs and having none of the maintenance I had with my Windows PC.

7: Or yeah the design as well, it gorgeous.

Willmo

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
London
Even so, those are still production issues. Mainly the defects and such, it's no God among all in ones, but I'm certain I'll be happy with mine. Mine's arriving March 4-5th apparently, but if I get a dud then I'll swap the screen with the AppleCare I bought or get a new one.

Most launches have these defects, and bad availability for awhile. I remember my first PSVita having the worst lamination job on it's OLED screen, you could see the glue through whatever you were playing. And the original PS3 took me 3 months to actually track one down in a shop, the free time I had when I was younger haha. I spent so much time just calling into shops and asking if they had it in stock. As long as I get my iMac within a Month's time, I'll be satisfied.

How do you have such an accurate delivery date ? I ordered on jan 26th and mine is saying 1st march to 8th.

I hope it comes sooner!!

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Funny... Aside from the glare reduction, the 2012 seems to be a huge downgrade from my 2009 27" (viewing angles, bleed, quality control, image retention etc etc).

With all those issues I would get it replaced, why pay what you pay for an iMac (or anything for that matter) and put up with the issues.

----------

The best decision I made was getting the Fusion Drive. Almost purchased without it, but so glad I went for the upgrade. It's so fast that I am still amazed by its performance. :D

Yeah I agree. I too was debating whether to pay the extra £200 and go with then Fusion Drive, but I'm so glad I did. For the cost, I think the Fusion Drive gives you the most performance increase for the price, especially when you will see the performance increase of the Fusion Drive on a day to day basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.