Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Ordered from LifeProof website 5 days ago (Sunday Feb. 10, 2013)

No issues/problems to report.

LifeProof oil slicks/newton rings resolution at http://www.lifeproof.com/en/support/knowledge-base/solution/2182/

IMG_2490.jpg

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Welcome to the Oil Slick Party :)

Fixed to a 'little' oil slick and I am ok with it (I can't see it when I look directly above the phone).

Those clear tabs I circled in dakota316's pic caused the oil slick effect - a 'little' separation between phone and screen protector. Clear tabs fixed other issues/problems mentioned by others?

dakota316LifeProof.jpg

dakota316

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2011
Missouri
Fixed to a 'little' oil slick and I am ok with it (I can't see it when I look directly above the phone).

Those clear tabs I circled in dakota316's pic caused the oil slick effect - a 'little' separation between phone and screen protector. Clear tabs fixed other issues/problems mentioned by others?

Curious how did u go about reducing to a little oil slick? Would love to know. Thanks alot man.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Best way to get the latest case is to order one of the new colors. Unfortunately they are still shipping out old versions of the black and white ones. Why, I have no idea.

Hurley82989

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
has anyone noticed how both the black and white cases are out of stock on the Lifeproof website?

i went to best buy earlier today to pick one up, but all they had were black cases in the 3XX,XXX range and white cases in the 19X,XXX range.

i'd really like a white case but it sounds like all of the white cases are all of the earlier models....

techluvr

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Houston, TX
Returned my case and the 2 warranty replacements I was sent. All 3 had defective proximity sensors and bad microphones. I couldn't take paying to be a product tester anymore.

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
has anyone noticed how both the black and white cases are out of stock on the Lifeproof website?

i went to best buy earlier today to pick one up, but all they had were black cases in the 3XX,XXX range and white cases in the 19X,XXX range.

i'd really like a white case but it sounds like all of the white cases are all of the earlier models....

If you're talking about the number that's on the back of the box, the Best Buy here has some that start in the 6XX,XXX range.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
I tried one from Best Buy yesterday. The back of the box had a 400,000 number on it if that means anything. They did an Amazon price match that made it $34 YMMV. For that I figured I would take a shot.

The call quality was fine and the proximity sensor seemed to work great. Playing music sounded like it was coming from a tin can.

My biggest complaint was the foam that covers the sensor. It may help it work properly but that little bulge bugged me. The other issue was that the inside of that screen already had a few small scratches on it.(It didn;t appear to be a return)

So I returned it. It was funny because when I put it on the counter the guy didn't any questions, he just stated that these are junk.

Ferniesp

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
They are not junk. The reality of it all is that Life Proof released these cases too soon. The first 4 versions were subpar. With the new cases, Life Proof has delivered. This does not excuse them for making us beta testers. Because they did me right by giving me my case for free, I feel it was all worth it.

Ferniesp

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
For oil slicks, get a can of condensed air and your phone will no longer have any rainbow. Works like a charm. Leave the phone in the front cover, peel off the back, use the air all the way around front case. Done.

jamsiz

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
amazon price match

What did you use to get best buy to price match? Thanks in advance.

Hurley82989

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
well, last night i took a chance and ordered the earth colored iphone 5 case from the lifeproof website. i would have preferred a white one but it sounds like there are still way too many of the old versions floating around plus the lifeproof website is currently out of stock.

hopefully i'll receive the latest version and everything will work out great. i'll keep you guys posted!

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
well, last night i took a chance and ordered the earth colored iphone 5 case from the lifeproof website. i would have preferred a white one but it sounds like there are still way too many of the old versions floating around plus the lifeproof website is currently out of stock.

hopefully i'll receive the latest version and everything will work out great. i'll keep you guys posted!

The only problem you will have is the Oli Slick. Good Luck.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Just wait for the incipio atlas which should have an release date this week. Or the otterbox armor releasing this Friday.

Avoid lifeproof, they really messed up on the fre cases

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
What did you use to get best buy to price match? Thanks in advance.

My Bestbuy price matches anything from Amazon. They usually want Amazon to be the Seller. The price match I did yesterday was a 3rd party seller. They don't always match those.

It seems like Amazon competes with 3rd party sellers who are selling bootleg products. I have seen Otterbox commuters as low as $14. The prices go up and down all the time on cases.

dakota316

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2011
Missouri
For oil slicks, get a can of condensed air and your phone will no longer have any rainbow. Works like a charm. Leave the phone in the front cover, peel off the back, use the air all the way around front case. Done.

Wow that worked. Lmao. How long will this work for I wonder before they come back?

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
Alright so I had one of the first production LPs. I returned it after being disappointed with all the defects. I ended up buying another case that was great but decided I still needed full coverage. Went to Best Buy and ended up with a 698530, wish me luck.

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
Water test- Check
Pillowing- None!
Rainbow effect- None!
Oil slicks-None!
Sound Quality- better than the first one but still somewhat muffled!

110% better than the first version! I am satisfied and will not be returning this one!

Hurley82989

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
can't wait to get mine- should arrive on monday.

i wonder if they finally replaced all the black and white cases with the newest models because they're back in stock...

DanUC6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Just had the urge to purchase another Lifeproof. Went to local best buy and picked up 600598. So far cant complain. The sound is a bit muffled but that is the waterproof aspect of the case. The rainbows rings were there, put some baby powder on and so far so good.

Bikezilla

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
I just picked up a Fre case from WalMart.
Black case. Box number 667xxx. BestBuy here had 160xxx

The interior looks as in the picture above, all same bumps & strips.

No problem with proximity sensor
Screen fits quite flat
Audio in earpiece is a tad soft but NBD
Speaker output is strong w/o vibrations.

Very minor newton/oil slick rings on edges, will probably try compressed air of slight dusting. I don't notice them unless the screen is off and I'm looking for it.

I notice a slight raise near the proximity sensor where that extra bit of tinted plastic is. I will consider removing it if I notice it affects my swiping.

Thanks for the info on the revisions. I had initially bought the V1 of the Fre last Nov and it had all the problems folks complained of. I returned it.

I also have an earlier model for the 4S... lots of pillowing but no other problems. I have to say it's nice not to have to deal with that anymore.

I'll update on the Fre' after a couple of weeks if I encounter any issues.

Cheers.

Ferniesp

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
I just picked up a Fre case from WalMart.
Black case. Box number 667xxx. BestBuy here had 160xxx

The interior looks as in the picture above, all same bumps & strips.

No problem with proximity sensor
Screen fits quite flat
Audio in earpiece is a tad soft but NBD
Speaker output is strong w/o vibrations.

Very minor newton/oil slick rings on edges, will probably try compressed air of slight dusting. I don't notice them unless the screen is off and I'm looking for it.

I notice a slight raise near the proximity sensor where that extra bit of tinted plastic is. I will consider removing it if I notice it affects my swiping.

Thanks for the info on the revisions. I had initially bought the V1 of the Fre last Nov and it had all the problems folks complained of. I returned it.

I also have an earlier model for the 4S... lots of pillowing but no other problems. I have to say it's nice not to have to deal with that anymore.

I'll update on the Fre' after a couple of weeks if I encounter any issues.

Cheers.

Don't take any strips off. They are there for a reason. Condensed air will take care of Newton rings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.