Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When will Apple show off/release iOS 7?

• Preview - Spring | Release - Summer

Votes: 52 36.1%
  • Preview - Summer | Release - Fall

Votes: 92 63.9%

• Total voters

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Apple has done this two ways in the past...

iPhone OS 2, 3, iOS 4
April - preview
June - public release

iOS 5, 6
June - preview at WWDC
Sep/Oct - public release

Rumors are that Apple will release the iPhone 5S sooner, maybe as soon as in June/July compared to Sep/Oct.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
Apple generally releases iOSx updates with the release of a new iPhone, and I'd say the probability of a pre-iOS preview rumor of iOS being correct is slim.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Apple generally releases iOSx updates with the release of a new iPhone, and I'd say the probability of a pre-iOS preview rumor of iOS being correct is slim.

That makes no sense, Apple always announces the new iOS months before the actual release and that's when the betas start. And the actual release is with a new phone.

OP I'd say probably the same as last 2 years with announcement at WWDC.

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
That makes no sense, Apple always announces the new iOS months before the actual release and that's when the betas start. And the actual release is with a new phone.

OP I'd say probably the same as last 2 years with announcement at WWDC.

Yup, Apple has always shown off the major iOS update with the new iPhone.

I guess the real questions is when will we see the iPhone 5S? WWDC or in Sep?

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Yup, Apple has always shown off the major iOS update with the new iPhone.

I guess the real questions is when will we see the iPhone 5S? WWDC or in Sep?

Er no, the iOS is shown off a few months before that year's iPhone is released. Sometimes a new feature that was kept under wraps is announced with the phone, but the software is trailed 2-3 months before the phone is announced.

If invitations to an event are sent out in the next couple of months, then we have a good chance of an early iPhone. If not, then the likelihood is phone released around October again. I'm hoping for the former - my iPhone 4 will be 3 years old by then and will no doubt struggle with iOS 7.

Will be intriguing - could that putative ATV event that was speculated about, and which was rubbished by Dalrymple, actually be a preview of iOS 7? Would seem a little early, given that Jony Ive only got his hands on things a few months ago.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I expect iOS 7 to be a further refined iOS6. Apple's path is set, to expect some major wow factor is to set yourself up for great disappointment.

I hope you are wrong but do fear the worst. I still have a 3GS so it would be a miracle if IOS 7 worked anyway.

4sguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
I hope you are wrong but do fear the worst. I still have a 3GS so it would be a miracle if IOS 7 worked anyway.

It should. I mean, what's so special about iOS that the 3Gs couldn't handle? 3D maps? Disable it for the 3Gs.

iOS hasn't changed much since 2007. It should be able to be run by any phone.

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010

iOS 6 is the last iOS that will support the iPhone 3GS.

Apple stopped selling them just like the iPad 1 which means no more upgrades.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I think you would see a preview at WWDC with the release of an iPhone 5S, then a release in early November with the release of an iPhone 6. Or at least I hope.:D

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
iOS 6 is the last iOS that will support the iPhone 3GS.

Apple stopped selling them just like the iPad 1 which means no more upgrades.

Just what I was thinking. Thankfully I got as far as ios 6 which fixed all the issue ios5 gave me :)

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Hopefully iOS 7 isn't too RAM intensive. Ram has been the biggest reason for performance issues. iOS 4 was awful on the 3G because of its 128mb. iOS 5 is awful on the first gen iPad because of its 256mb and iOS 6 is awful on the touch 4th gen because of 256mb. If its gonna kill the device, don't release it for it.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
If iOS 7 supports the 3GS, I'll wire the entire contents of my bank account to a random charitable organisation. I'm serious.

iOS 7 ain't gonna support the 3GS. It just ain't gonna happen.

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK
If iOS 7 supports the 3GS, I'll wire the entire contents of my bank account to a random charitable organisation. I'm serious.

how long ago did they stop selling the 3gs????

edit.. found it "On September 12, 2012, Apple announced that they will no longer be selling and supporting the iPhone 3GS"

Last edited:

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
i hope we will see some major improvements when they stop supporting the 3GS. i think hardware limitation is a big problem concerning the ios updates

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Why not upgrade then lol.

I wanna use my 3GS until it disintegrates. Still working fine and I don't have a need for most of the new features of the newer models.

i hope we will see some major improvements when they stop supporting the 3GS. i think hardware limitation is a big problem concerning the ios updates

The iPhone 4 has a similar processor as the 3GS. Not sure if it will support iOS 7 as well, although it's still being sold.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA

So, you are ready to donate more than $199+tax to some charitable organization but not ready to spend the same amount on a new phone? Makes sense if your bank account has less than $199. :D

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Why? I have a 2009 MacBook Pro which they stopped selling but it still gets upgrades.

You should ask Apple.

They want people to upgrade.

Plus the iPhone 3GS only has 256MB of RAM.

Im sure your 2009 MBP has more power than that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.