Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charleyfarley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
i have a PPC G4 1.2ghz macmini that is always on and manages my music collection thru itunes remote on the ipad just flawlessly... the problem i have though is getting it to play hd video files on a 51" samsung plasma

i'm running tiger 10.4.11 and vlc 0.9.10 is unwatchable with anything 720p or above... having looked around for a while i have tried mplayerOSX ppc which coughs and splutters a few grey screens before shutting itself down then i came across MPlayer OSX extended which is the absolute best of the bunch so far BUT although the video is pretty clean and crisp it is playing at a slightly slower speed, maybe half speed, i've fiddled around with all the preferences to no avail and i have tried numerous 720p video files all with similar results

having red thru a couple of threads on this subject, props to zen.state, i am now looking at my options being to change my graphics card (currently a ATI radeon 9200) OR upgrade to Leopard which i don't really want to do (those original discs are expensive)

is there any hope for me finding a solution without making these proposed changes:confused:

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
You can't upgrade your GPU - it's a Mac mini. Have you tried the G4 optimised Mplayer posted by Zen? And what format is the video in?

charleyfarley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Yes i think i have tried the same mplayer posted by zen... the video files i have tried are all mkv

charleyfarley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
...actually i'm not sure i have tried that optimised version because the link no longer works, can i get it somewhere else?

I have tried the MPlayer 1.0 rc1 which gives me the grey screen and the MPlayer OSX Extended v11 which is almost there but videos slow

Also are you saying a graphics card upgrade is not an option?

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
i have a PPC G4 1.2ghz macmini that is always on and manages my music collection thru itunes remote on the ipad just flawlessly... the problem i have though is getting it to play hd video files on a 51" samsung plasma

i'm running tiger 10.4.11 and vlc 0.9.10 is unwatchable with anything 720p or above... having looked around for a while i have tried mplayerOSX ppc which coughs and splutters a few grey screens before shutting itself down then i came across MPlayer OSX extended which is the absolute best of the bunch so far BUT although the video is pretty clean and crisp it is playing at a slightly slower speed, maybe half speed, i've fiddled around with all the preferences to no avail and i have tried numerous 720p video files all with similar results

having red thru a couple of threads on this subject, props to zen.state, i am now looking at my options being to change my graphics card (currently a ATI radeon 9200) OR upgrade to Leopard which i don't really want to do (those original discs are expensive)

is there any hope for me finding a solution without making these proposed changes:confused:

The ONLY way to make this work is to overclock the s@&t out of it. Like my 2.00 ghz powerbook.

Neilobrien

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
The ONLY way to make this work is to overclock the s@&t out of it. Like my 2.00 ghz powerbook.

Wow, just wow... I've long been a reader of these forums, since my first iMac g3 bondi to be exact but it's actually took your utter stupidity to force me to sign up!

The guys here are far too pleasant in their replies to you, I'm still not sure what your game is here, because you help no one with your rediculous replies and threads and just serve to make life more difficult for people out there genuinely looking for help.

If you come back with detailed instructions of how to over clock the guys Mac mini then ill eat humble pie, until then, you my friend, are a stain on these forums.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Wow, just wow... I've long been a reader of these forums, since my first iMac g3 bondi to be exact but it's actually took your utter stupidity to force me to sign up!

The guys here are far too pleasant in their replies to you, I'm still not sure what your game is here, because you help no one with your rediculous replies and threads and just serve to make life more difficult for people out there genuinely looking for help.

If you come back with detailed instructions of how to over clock the guys Mac mini then ill eat humble pie, until then, you my friend, are a stain on these forums.

Just cut off some resistors of the cpu with a pocket knife. http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/macmini/

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012

+1. Thank you.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Yes, we can all use google apparently... Now post a picture of your 2ghz PowerBook or for the love of all that is holy stop wasting everyone's time around here, this guy is genuinely asking for help, which you appear to be incapable of giving.

the powerbook is open because I am still working on it. And overclocking the mac mini would defiantly help with hd video! How it that wasting everyones time!?

----------

Sorry i'm a right novice, what does overclock mean?

I get the s@#t bit:D

To make a part of a computer run faster than it was designed for. http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/macmini/

MacinDan

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
A 1.25 ghz mini might be too slow for 720p, but it's worth a shot! In OS X Mplayer Extended (the Tiger version), go to preferences under Video and mark Framedrop as "soft." Then go to Advanced and check the additional parameters box and type in:

-lavdopts skiploopfilter=all

If that doesn't get you the framerates you want, enter this instead:

-lavdopts skiploopfilter=all:skipframe=nonref

I know there's a GUI option for skipping the loop filter, but if you add another lavdopts argument in the additional parameters section, it seems to confuse the player, so put all the lavdopts options in one place. Also, for a few extra frames per second, go to Display preferences and set output to "As separate window (CoreVideo)". The only downside is there's a bug here that keeps the menubar displayed when you switch to fullscreen.

That "G4 optimized" version of Mplayer is old and doesn't work on many newer AVC codecs. For the absolute best CPU efficiency with Mplayer, you should use it from the command line. If you want to get nerdy, there's more here about command line options, and there's a newer binary with better MKV support available here. Also, get B-G's Mplayer scripts to automate everything.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
not because the container? my imac g4 which also is 1,25 ghz can't play h264 mkv in 720p, but it can play divx avi in 720p. but I though that was because of the codec..

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Once upon a time...

...there was a fair app named Coreplayer. If you had 20 George Washington Dollars it would have enabled you to playback 720p. Alas, now fair coreplayer sleeps in a tomb, locked away by her rights holders, who went bankrupt, probably forever.

Do what the Luddite says (MacinDan), if that doesn't work then you are stuck with the indignity of 480p. What we used to call "high quality" back in the day before everyone and their Brother's uncle felt like 720p or higher was the only acceptable video quality.

And, don't forget to try XBMC. It probably won't work either, but it's worth a shot.

charleyfarley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Thanks for some things to try... I already gave the 'lavdopts skiploopfilter' mods that MacinDan suggested a try but all it gives me is green screen.

I have to go to work now, later on i will have a look at some of the other suggestions... Maybe go down the convertor route

:)

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
...there was a fair app named Coreplayer. If you had 20 George Washington Dollars it would have enabled you to playback 720p. Alas, now fair coreplayer sleeps in a tomb, locked away by her rights holders, who went bankrupt, probably forever.

Coreplayer works best with CI capable graphics card, otherwise it will render using CPU. So in OP's (R9200) case it wouldn't be much of improvement if any (if it would be still alive OFC ;))

charleyfarley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
The default MPlayer extended is as close as i can get to good playback but like i said the video lags

I retried all of the preference mods once i realised my cpu was running at 80% with multiple safari tabs and windows open... It changed the video framerate but still not right

Looked at the binary links and that looks beyond me to be honest, do you have to run commands every time to play a file?

I was hoping for a simple workaround for my std G4 but it looks like the best option could be to open up my wallet and splash some cash on a newer macmini

I really appreciate the responses and help from you guys on here, muchos gracias :)

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
The default MPlayer extended is as close as i can get to good playback but like i said the video lags

I retried all of the preference mods once i realised my cpu was running at 80% with multiple safari tabs and windows open... It changed the video framerate but still not right

Looked at the binary links and that looks beyond me to be honest, do you have to run commands every time to play a file?

I was hoping for a simple workaround for my std G4 but it looks like the best option could be to open up my wallet and splash some cash on a newer macmini

I really appreciate the responses and help from you guys on here, muchos gracias :)

As I suggested previously, if you convert your .mkv files to .avi with Any Video Converter you'll enjoy seamless video playback. It's free and works like a charm.

Carrot Time

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
boston
I've had this problem too, you can't upgrade the GPU, as 720p videos won't play well at all on 64VRAM for me, and I don't wanna even try 1080p, but I believe if you encode it down to about 720x480 the video plays at full rate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.