Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davyvfr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Hello,

Just a quick question, I purchased an iPad 3 a few months ago for college note-taking and surfing the web. Do you think my iPad 3 will last my four years at college? Also, three years down the road, could Apple still replace the battery in my iPad 3?

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Apple builds good quality products, if you are strictly talking about the iPad functioning I am quite confident yours will last 4 years. But if you look at how well the original iPad performs now almost 3 years after it was released, I think id be questioning if i'd still be wanting to use the product in 4 years.

davyvfr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Apple builds good quality products, if you are strictly talking about the iPad functioning I am quite confident yours will last 4 years. But if you look at how well the original iPad performs now almost 3 years after it was released, I think id be questioning if i'd still be wanting to use the product in 4 years.

I would hope the product would still be useable after 4 years, and Im sure the battery life will diminish but that is replaceable.

I guess it also depends on how complex the Web becomes and if my iPad 3 can handle it. I guess if it gets slow, I will buy an iPad mini. I am already thinking about saving up for one. And, judging from the responses on another iPad thread I made about iPad 1, it appears to crash on Safari and have massive slowdowns.

here2rock

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
It can last you 4 years if you look after it and you are not tempted by the new upgrades. Technology moves too fast it is difficult to predict the future for Tablet market. I can imagine faster, better screens and lighter iPads. Battery can be changed by Apple but Apple is more expensive than the local repair shop.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
I'd say it is definitely possible as long as you are careful about updating major OS updates and not fussed about not having the latest apps.

The iOS 4 update from iOS 3 evidently had an adverse effect on performance for 3G iPhone users. I certainly noticed the hit on my 2G ipod touch.

If you look after your battery- ie not too many deep discharges, not storing it in hot temperatures and not leaving it discharged for extended periods, you'll be fine.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
It can last you 4 years if you look after it and you are not tempted by the new upgrades. Technology moves too fast it is difficult to predict the future for Tablet market. I can imagine faster, better screens and lighter iPads. Battery can be changed by Apple but Apple is more expensive than the local repair shop.

Apple only charges $99 for a battery replacement. Even if my local shop only charged $50, I'd still pay Apple as I know it's being done correctly.

davyvfr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012

Thankfully, I am not the type of person who has to have the latest and greatest. As long as it can do the basics (Internet and Email) then I am good.

here2rock

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
Apple only charges $99 for a battery replacement. Even if my local shop only charged $50, I'd still pay Apple as I know it's being done correctly.

Good point if you are replacing the battery on the latest or newish iPad but if your iPad is worth only $100 in 4 years time and you are paying $100 to replace a battery does not make economic sense. Most of the work carried by local shops carries some sort of warranty. In 4 years time an iPad might only cost $100-200, who knows?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Good point if you are replacing the battery on the latest or newish iPad but if your iPad is worth only $100 in 4 years time and you are paying $100 to replace a battery does not make economic sense. Most of the work carried by local shops carries some sort of warranty. In 4 years time an iPad might only cost $100-200, who knows?

Very true, but I'd still rather have Apple work on my device than some local tech. If I was giving the device away for some reason, then I wouldn't care who I used. If it was for my personal device, I'd use Apple. But, I totally understand what you're saying. It may not make sense to drop $99 on a $100 product.

here2rock

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
Will Ipad 3 last 4 years?

Thankfully, I am not the type of person who has to have the latest and greatest. As long as it can do the basics (Internet and Email) then I am good.

As mentioned above, just be careful with future firmware updates from Apple. These updates are basically designed for their latest hardware and may slow down your device or cause extra drainage on the battery. If you must update your device then wait for a few days after others have tried on the older devices. This site will be a good one for comments. If you follow the saying that don't fix it if ain't broke then you will be fine.

davyvfr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
As mentioned above, just be careful with future firmware updates from Apple. These updates are basically designed for their latest hardware and may slow down your device or cause extra drainage on the battery. If you must updates then wait for a few days after others have tried on the older devices. This site will be a good one for comments. If you follow the saying that don't fix it if ain't broke then you will be fine.

I certainly agree. (iOS 5.0 made iPad 1 slow)

However, if your app requires the latest iOS update, you have no choice but to upgrade. Like Netflix, which requires iOS 5, and eventually may require iOS 6 at the minimum, which would put iPad 1 users in trouble.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
It will last fine.

I would say that at a certain point, just don't update it and keep your apps in their 100% useable state.

Also, when a major update hits, wait until iPad 3 owners respond to it. If you see a bunch of "iOS 10 made my iPad 3 run like crap!!" don't update lol.

here2rock

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
Australia

However, if your app requires the latest iOS update, you have no choice but to upgrade. Like Netflix, which requires iOS 5, and eventually may require iOS 6 at the minimum, which would put iPad 1 users in trouble.

I did not say that you can not update but be selective and careful. Some of these apps are backward compatible anyway. I thought your basic requirements were notes for your study, Internet browsing and emails.

I really believe that an iPad in 4 years time will be very cheap as the market saturates.

----------

it will last fine.

I would say that at a certain point, just don't update it and keep your apps in their 100% useable state.

Also, when a major update hits, wait until ipad 3 owners respond to it. If you see a bunch of "ios 10 made my ipad 3 run like crap!!" don't update lol.

+1

davyvfr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Ok, I forgot to mention Netflix. I am a current subscriber, but it isn't a necessity for my college. (I could do without it) :)

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan

Correct me if I'm wrong but the could still use the current app no? When I was trapped on iOS 4 with no available upgrade I could still use all the apps already installed, Netflix included just fine.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hello,

Just a quick question, I purchased an iPad 3 a few months ago for college note-taking and surfing the web. Do you think my iPad 3 will last my four years at college? Also, three years down the road, could Apple still replace the battery in my iPad 3?

For the light amount of use that you are doing, if you take care of it, then yes it could last all four years.

----------

The issue is typically that those repair shops are cracking the case and literally replacing the battery. With a risk of something getting screwed up in the process. Apple actually replaces the whole unit. For the battery cost. Which is about a third of a full unit replacement when there isn't battery failure

----------

Correct me if I'm wrong but the could still use the current app no? When I was trapped on iOS 4 with no available upgrade I could still use all the apps already installed, Netflix included just fine.

Depends on the app. If the developer created it with only iOS 6 coding then you would have to have iOS 6. Many apps like Netflix want max audience so they didn't break their compatibility with the previous one or two iOS versions.

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
There's 2 routes you can go with Apple products. Option 1 is to buy the newest one every year/other year and sell the old one. Option 2 is to go all out and buy the least compromised device to last for 5 years.

Let's look at the potential bottlenecks you could run into after 4-5 years. (edit: this is comparing how it would fare vs 2017-2018 devices which I'm guessing will be quad-core/4gb RAM standard by then. I emphasize on the RAM because that's usually the biggest bottleneck in electronic devices if they don't ship with enough: see Safari or Infinity Blade crashing on iPad 1)

iPad: Non-retina, 256MB Ram, A4 single-core processor, heavy, thick, battery
iPad 2: Non-retina, 512mb Ram, battery
iPad 3/4: 1GB Ram, Heavy, thick, battery

With the iPad 3 and up, they put in Retina display and 1GB of Ram which is imo, the final pieces to make it "good enough" to last a few years. The A5X is a solid processor too I believe. Considering how many devices they put it in, I think it will be supported for long enough until you want to upgrade.

Last edited:

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Sure it will last. There's still people that use the original iPhone from 2007 today.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Yes. But, will you like it? Maybe not.

With the first gen. iPod I quickly fell behind the pack, and there were simple things like pairing it with a bluetooth keyboard that I could not do. It eventually became useless (for me) beyond listening to music. I sold it and got a decent price for it. An upgrade to an iPod 4 was "resolutionary," and such a better experience overall. I have long since sold it, but I remember well what a shock it was to upgrade. I figure in 4 years my iPad 3 will be a dinosaur. I love it now, and I am sure I "could" use it in 4 years, but I am not betting that I will.

Think about it: your friend sitting next to you using the paper-thin iPad 8 with the 450 ppi cornea display, two apps open on the screen at once, and a 20-hour battery. Yeah. Your iPad 3 will not be looking so nice then. Better to sell it every year (if you can manage to guesstimate the new product announcements ahead of time) and upgrade. Think of it as spending about $10-15 of "rent" for the latest and greatest.

[EDIT:] The October iPad 4 announcement caught me off guard and easily knocked an extra $100 off the resale value of my iPad 3, so I was quite sad to have missed my chance. I was not really interested in upgrading, but I could have at least saved myself some money by doing it.

davyvfr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Yes. But, will you like it? Maybe not.

With the first gen. iPod I quickly fell behind the pack, and there were simple things like pairing it with a bluetooth keyboard that I could not do. It eventually became useless (for me) beyond listening to music. I sold it and got a decent price for it. An upgrade to an iPod 4 was "resolutionary," and such a better experience overall. I have long since sold it, but I remember well what a shock it was to upgrade. I figure in 4 years my iPad 3 will be a dinosaur. I love it now, and I am sure I "could" use it in 4 years, but I am not betting that I will.

Think about it: your friend sitting next to you using the paper-thin iPad 8 with the 450 ppi cornea display, two apps open on the screen at once, and a 20-hour battery. Yeah. Your iPad 3 will not be looking so nice then. Better to sell it every year (if you can manage to guesstimate the new product announcements ahead of time) and upgrade. Think of it as spending about $10-15 of "rent" for the latest and greatest.

[EDIT:] The October iPad 4 announcement caught me off guard and easily knocked an extra $100 off the resale value of my iPad 3, so I was quite sad to have missed my chance. I was not really interested in upgrading, but I could have at least saved myself some money by doing it.

I think I might start saving for an Ipad so I can buy one Junior year (I'm a freshmen). I don't know if my iPad 3 will be able to still surf the web if it gets more complex.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
It all depends on what you use it for. For email, movies, music and other light stuff, I have no doubts it will last you 4 years. For anything else I'm not sure if those 4 years of use will be pleasant. The web hasn't changed a lot in the last few years and if anything, has gotten lighter thanks to the slow, painful death of flash. It depends on how heavy iOS updates get in the future. If apple took their time and made it right across all devices I have no doubts the experience will be fine. But by the time iOS 8 rolls around you could be dealing with stuttering and safari crashes like what iPad 1 users are seeing now with iOS 5. The iPad 1 is still fine for the things I mentioned above 3 years later so I'm sure you could squeeze 4 out of the iPad 3 thanks to the enormous improvements in power.

davyvfr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
It all depends on what you use it for. For email, movies, music and other light stuff, I have no doubts it will last you 4 years. For anything else I'm not sure if those 4 years of use will be pleasant. The web hasn't changed a lot in the last few years and if anything, has gotten lighter thanks to the slow, painful death of flash. It depends on how heavy iOS updates get in the future. If apple took their time and made it right across all devices I have no doubts the experience will be fine. But by the time iOS 8 rolls around you could be dealing with stuttering and safari crashes like what iPad 1 users are seeing now with iOS 5. The iPad 1 is still fine for the things I mentioned above 3 years later so I'm sure you could squeeze 4 out of the iPad 3 thanks to the enormous improvements in power.

Yep, however, I kind of wished I bought a bigger iPad. 16Gb doesn't cut it for HD movies (only 3 movies if 3.8GB) and Photos. I might buy an iPad 1 64GB for traveling and leave my iPad 3 for school.

I really hope Apple doesn't mess up iPad 3 like what they did to iPad 1 with iOS 5. I don't mind if the iPad 1 is slow, as long as it can display video its good. EDIT: I found a 64GB for $315 preowned. Also, if I buy a 3G or LTE iPad from anywhere (except Apple), does it need to be activated on my Verizon data plan? I really only want the GPS feature, I could care less about surfing the web anywhere.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.