Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
They got a free cruise, a full refund and $500. And memories to last a life time!!

Is Carnival going to pay for any personal belongings that got covered in human ****?

Like I said earlier, $500 does not seem like a lot when an airline will give you close to that same amount for bumping you off an overbooked flight and the only inconvenience you have is waiting a few more hours at an airport - with working toilets and plenty of food.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
And you haven't responded to the safety of transferring 4000 people in open water between vessels.

These ships are designed for transfers like this. In fact, many Carnival ships don't even dock at certain ports because they're too large. They transfer guests (yes thousands in open water) aboard tender boats and take those to the actual port.

When I was on the Carnival Dream, we docked with a rescue boat to take a guest on stretcher who suffered a heart attack and later that week a helicopter came and picked up another guest (which looked much more dangerous than the rescue boat).

It would have been a slow process (and likely would have taken hours upon hours), but they could have done it.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Is Carnival going to pay for any personal belongings that got covered in human ****?

Like I said earlier, $500 does not seem like a lot when an airline will give you close to that same amount for bumping you off an overbooked flight and the only inconvenience you have is waiting a few more hours at an airport - with working toilets and plenty of food.

I don't know. Were people dumb enough to not put their personal belongings into their suitcases and move them to safer places or did they just leave them in their cabins, even if they had a over flowing toilet? Every now and then, you just can't say I deserve I Deserve I deserve. Use some common sense and do something right on your own.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
These ships are designed for transfers like this. In fact, many Carnival ships don't even dock at certain ports because they're too large. They transfer guests (yes thousands in open water) aboard tender boats and take those to the actual port.

When I was on the Carnival Dream, we docked with a rescue boat to take a guest on stretcher who suffered a heart attack and later that week a helicopter came and picked up another guest (which looked much more dangerous than the rescue boat).

It would have been a slow process (and likely would have taken hours upon hours), but they could have done it.

The tender boats transfer passengers via a dock to land. Not from one ship to another. And they are also within, what, a mile or 2 from land, at the most? I'm sure it can be done, as a last resort. But what if the waters are rough? Those tenders also have limitations for passengers with disabilities. And limitations based on weather conditions. If the ship needed to be abandoned, that's one thing. Those people were never in danger, and the few who needed to be medically evacuated were.

Again, possible? Yes? But a necessity? No.

Last edited:

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
The tender boats transfer passengers via a dock to land. Not from one ship to another. And they are also within, what, a mile or 2 from land, at the most? I'm sure it can be done, as a last resort. But what if the waters are rough? Those tenders also have limitations for passengers with disabilities. And limitations based on weather conditions. If the ship needed to be abandoned, that's one thing. Those people were never in danger, and the few who needed to be medically evacuated were.

Again, possible? Yes? But a necessity? No.

Tenders are also the life boats of these ships so I am sure they could handle people with disabilities. The only factor here is the sea condition. If it was smooth, it's perfectly possible to tender people from one ship to another with the risk of something going wrong relatively small.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
Tenders are also the life boats of these ships so I am sure they could handle people with disabilities. The only factor here is the sea condition. If it was smooth, it's perfectly possible to tender people from one ship to another with the risk of something going wrong relatively small.

How far apart would the ships have to be from one another? The sea conditions are a HUGE factor. And I'm sorry, but transporting 4000 people, 100 or 200 at a time, from Ship to tender to Ship in the open water would have been a much higher risk than what they were facing on the Triumph.

The tenders they use at port are different than the ones they would be using to abandon the ship, so yes, if you found someone willing to carry the disabled passengers to and from of course it's possible? But, again, why abandon a ship and put thousands in danger when they faced no danger onboard? The conditions weren't ideal, but they were safe.

Your "relatively small risk" is a matter of perspective.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
I'm sure the thousands of people who had crap running down their walls weren't exaggerating.

:confused: I never saw any report from anywhere saying that thousands had raw sewage running down their walls. Do you have a reference, or was that a gross (and a gross) exaggeration?

There isn't enough room on the outside decks for 4000 people to set up camp, and the inside of the ship was unbearable because it was impossible to breath.

If you google on
Carnival Triumph deck plans
you'll see that all outside cabins above Deck 2 have balconies. If you watched the ship when being towed into port, you would have seen many calmly sitting on those balconies.

I would not accept $500 compensation. They should have cancelled another cruise, refunded and compensated those passengers and explain the situation, and then send that cruise to pick these people up.

Where would you have picked them up? How would you have transported them to another ship? The Triumph is not a ship with tenders for passenger transit.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
How far apart would the ships have to be from one another? The sea conditions are a HUGE factor. And I'm sorry, but transporting 4000 people, 100 or 200 at a time, from Ship to tender to Ship in the open water would have been a much higher risk than what they were facing on the Triumph.

The tenders they use at port are different than the ones they would be using to abandon the ship, so yes, if you found someone willing to carry the disabled passengers to and from of course it's possible? But, again, why abandon a ship and put thousands in danger when they faced no danger onboard? The conditions weren't ideal, but they were safe.

Your "relatively small risk" is a matter of perspective.

The tenders are the same exact same vessels you would be on if it sank. The orange vessels that are on the side of ship are the tenders/life boats.

Carnival-triumph_2481828a.jpg

I didn't say the sea condition was a small factor. But, that's the only factor. If the seas are smooth, the risk would be small. Rough, then yes the risk wouldn't be worth it. The ships could be as close as possible to ensure a quick and smooth operation, but far enough apart to ensure safety. The tenders/life boats have diesel engines.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
I think them getting a full refund,another cruise for free, and $500. I would say they made out like bandits on that deal.

Although I have to agree with some that are saying the backup power should be able to power the water filtration as well other life needed area's. I say this because those that have a week immune system could get really sick fast in those contains. This isn't the first time this happened, this should have been corrected, so if something like this doesn't happen again. :/

Hugh

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
The tenders are the same exact same vessels you would be on if it sank. The orange vessels that are on the side of ship are the tenders/life boats.

Carnival-triumph_2481828a.jpg

I didn't say the sea condition was a small factor. But, that's the only factor. If the seas are smooth, the risk would be small. Rough, then yes the risk wouldn't be worth it. The ships could be as close as possible to ensure a quick and smooth operation, but far enough apart to ensure safety. The tenders/life boats have diesel engines.

In many cases, the tender boats they use in port are larger than the tender boats used to evacuate the ship. So, are you suggesting they fill and lower the life boats and then transfer the passengers to another vessel?

5 crew members last week lost their lives during a lifeboat drill on another cruise line. Something can always happen.

I just don't see why you would have 4000 people abandon a ship which posed no danger to those onboard.

When you are dealing with that amount of people at once (the tenders in port aren't transferring every passenger at the same time) a number of things can happen - a much greater risk to those people than the risk they faced onboard.

The ship was not sinking. The ship was not on fire. Being uncomfortable is not life threatening.

I'm also wondering when we're going to see pictures of all of the sewage...

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
In many cases, the tender boats they use in port are larger than the tender boats used to evacuate the ship. So, are you suggesting they fill and lower the life boats and then transfer the passengers to another vessel?

There is an access point close to the waterline where the life boats/tenders go up next to that point.

AuroraTender01.jpg

Yes there are different types of life boats, but the tenders that take people to ports also double as a life boat.

5 crew members last week lost their lives during a lifeboat drill on another cruise line. Something can always happen.

Again, didn't say there was no risk. But as long as the seas were calm, the risk was small. A plane can always crash, so you going to stop flying? You can get into a car accident, you going to stop driving? Life involves risks....

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
There is an access point close to the waterline where the life boats/tenders go up next to that point.

Yes there are different types of life boats, but the tenders that take people to ports also double as a life boat.

Again, didn't say there was no risk. But as long as the seas were calm, the risk was small. A plane can always crash, so you going to stop flying? You can get into a car accident, you going to stop driving? Life involves risks....

Yeah, I get that. But my point was, why would you abandon a ship that posed no threat to its passengers?

My point was that the risk involved in transferring 4000 people in open sea > the risk involved by having everyone stay.

There's a reason that Carnival chose not to do it. What do you think that reason was?

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Yeah, I get that. But my point was, why would you abandon a ship that posed no threat to its passengers?

My point was that the risk involved in transferring 4000 people in open sea > the risk involved by having everyone stay.

There's a reason that Carnival chose not to do it. What do you think that reason was?

Safety issues or money. Only an investigation will answer which.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

Yeah because the only cruise ship in range already had passengers on it when it transferred provisions to the Triumph. ;)

I'm not saying that is what they should have done. Just saying it was an option and the risk of anything going wrong was low if the seas were calm.

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Leaking diesel fuel caused the engine fire that crippled the Carnival Triumph cruise ship for five days in the Gulf of Mexico, stranding more than 4,200 passengers amid sewage, garbage and little food, the Coast Guard said Monday.

The fuel leaked from the return line of the No. 6 engine and ignited when it hit an unspecified hot surface, Lt. Cmdr. Teresa Hatfield said during a telephone news briefing.

The fire was contained to a small area and the crew extinguished the blaze "immediately," said Hatfield, who leads the Coast Guard's Marine Casualty Investigation Team, which is based in New Orleans.

"They did a very good job," she said.

A diesel engine's high-pressure fuel injectors and injector pump use fuel as a lubricant during the combustion process, and the return-line hose transports the controlled excess amounts to the fuel tank to be reused.

The 14-year-old ship left Galveston, Texas, on Feb. 7 for a four-day trip to Mexico but was paralyzed by the fire Feb. 10. It was towed to Mobile, Ala., on Thursday night, and all passengers had disembarked by Friday morning.

Because the ship is registered, or flagged, in the Bahamas, Bahamian authorities are leading the overall investigation, assisted by the Coast Guard and the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board.

Investigators have interviewed passengers and crewmembers, and forensic analysis has been performed on the 893-foot ship. The Triumph was towed initially to Mobile Bay, then moved to nearby BAE Systems to fully assess the damage.

Hatfield said the Coast Guard expects to finish its on-board examination by the end of the week, and estimated that the investigation would take at least six months.

She said the Coast Guard would reinspect the ship before it's returned to service.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2013/02/18/carnival-triumph-fire-cause/1928695/

Are these ships not being inspected before each trip?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I don't know of any Earth-bound vehicles that are inspected before "each trip."
I would hope boats and planes get inspected more regularly than your car going to the grocery store. If this line was allowed to wear out how long was it since it's last inspection.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I would hope boats and planes get inspected more regularly than your car going to the grocery store. If this line was allowed to wear out how long was it since it's last inspection.

First of all, consider the size of this vessel. Consider the time and expense that goes into a single bow-to-stern inspection. I can't imagine that going on more than once every few years, if that often.

Secondly, the fuel line didn't wear out - it got too close to a hot surface. So it could have been brand-new before this cruise, and an inspection wouldn't have found it.

It's a bit like running over a nail then saying the faulty tire should have been found during an inspection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.