Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Someone in my building apparently tried to pair a Samsung bluetooth device to my computer.

I got a screenshot. It's someone's Galaxy Samsung SGH l747

Could this be an accident or is someone trying to hack me?

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Probably someone just playing around. Happens to me once in a while too. I just ignore them.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Don't worry, it did not work did it, and even when it did it would most likely not to see anything on your computer as long as sharing files is off or just limited to a shared folder without much in it.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Probably someone just playing around. Happens to me once in a while too. I just ignore them.

Well, I went to advanced in my Bluetooth pref and saw two Apple bluetooth mouses and an Apple keyboard and some other device that apparently had already somehow been linked to my computer. Some other PDA device.

I turned Bluetooth off. I don't pair anything w/ Bluetooth myself. Not happy.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
It either would be a mistake or someone just screwing around, trying to pair up with random devices. Either way, nothing to worry about, because the pairing wasn’t successful :)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Do you use or formally use a Magic Mouse or apple wireless keyboard ? Didn't they come with the mini ?

It may be the devices you see in the Bluetooth pref. are old unused devices.

Also the PDA device. Have you ever been playing around with the mini and your iPhone to see if you could connect between them ?
Because if you did the PDA device connection would show.
Lastly any time a device pairs with your computer a window should pop up. Is that the screen grab you have and could you post it ?

A way to find out is to look at the Bluetooth MAC address for your iPhone and see if it matches in the Bluetooth preference .

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Do you use or formally use a Magic Mouse or apple wireless keyboard ? Didn't they come with the mini ?

It may be the devices you see in the Bluetooth pref. are old unused devices.

Also the PDA device. Have you ever been playing around with the mini and your iPhone to see if you could connect between them ?
Because if you did the PDA device connection would show.
Lastly any time a device pairs with your computer a window should pop up. Is that the screen grab you have and could you post it ?

A way to find out is to look at the Bluetooth MAC address for your iPhone and see if it matches in the Bluetooth preference .

Bought a wired keyboard and wired mighty mouse for my Mini. NEVER owned a bluetooth mouse or keyboard. Yet two mouses and one keyboard are showing up on my bluetooth preferences.

My 2004 era ATandT phone was briefly paired with my Powerbook back in the day, but that is the last phone I had before the 2007 iPhone and I've never paired any of my iPhones up by bluetooth. Nor my iPad.

So I remain confused as to what all this bluetooth Apple gear is that's showing up on my computer.

I took these screenshots of the bluetooth preferences after I'd turned off Bluetooth on my computer. Remain confused as to what these devices are doing on my computer, especially the PDA "Modem" indicator.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-01-30 at 8.04.06 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-01-30 at 8.04.06 PM.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,828
  • Screen shot 2013-01-30 at 10.14.57 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-01-30 at 10.14.57 PM.png
    198.1 KB · Views: 1,734
  • Screen shot 2013-01-30 at 10.15.28 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-01-30 at 10.15.28 PM.png
    258 KB · Views: 2,116
Last edited:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
The PDA-Modem checkbox is just a serial port that some devices use. Uncheck it. Don't know why it was on.

Why did you have bluetooth turned on to begin with if you only use wired keyboards and mice.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Someone in my building apparently tried to pair a Samsung bluetooth device to my computer.

I got a screenshot. It's someone's Galaxy Samsung SGH l747

Could this be an accident or is someone trying to hack me?

Just ignore it...

It's such an easy step to request access. I wouldn't even give it a second of thought.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
The PDA-Modem checkbox is just a serial port that some devices use. Uncheck it. Don't know why it was on.

Why did you have bluetooth turned on to begin with if you only use wired keyboards and mice.

I have no idea why Bluetooth was on. I've done some OSX restores on this machine, it might be turned on as a default setting. Oh, actually, now that I think about it, I ripped out the IR sensors a few months back while upgrading the Mini's hard drive, I may have turned it on when I checked that the IR was working again...

----------

Just ignore it...

It's such an easy step to request access. I wouldn't even give it a second of thought.

It just spooked me, you're right thank you

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
It just spooked me, you're right thank you
This reminds me of the time I was in a lecture and a student sent a picture to the lecturers PowerBook, it opened up immediately and went full screen onto the slides. Rather annoying and scary, but at least now you get a pairing warning! You're right, turn BT off, stay way from that stuff..

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Who hasn't tried to pair with someone's Bluetooth :)

It's fun in a airport lobby. You see whose head twitches as they try to find the culprit (fun airport games :) )

Aug 5, 2012
I think you might be worrying a bit too much on this.

This is a very common thing.

Just turn your Bluetooth off!

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
I did this once or twice in my college lecture of 70 students. Like dazed said, it's always a kick to see who is looking around the room. ;)

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Someone must have been using your computer, so put on a password when you are not with it, if you want people to stop doing it. I find it hard to believe that people "at random" got 3 units synced to your computer, given the 1.000.000 different password combinations there is.

plbxnews

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2017
Hmmm... weird. The same thing happened to me just a few minutes ago, and I believe it said the same thing. (SAMSUNG SGH ####) I didn't receive any warning, so when I disconnected my own Bluetooth headphones, I was surprised to see another device I don't even own. (I have a MacBook Air) Any suggestions?

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Next time accept it and then send them a picture of you butt. That'll teach them. Kind of a high tech version of the butt on the xerox machine. lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.