Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanHalen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Do they hook up every single computer to the data server for repairs? Or is that only internal repairs or if you ask for back up?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
The better question is; Why was there any data on the computer you don't want others seeing. That data shouldn't be on the computer let alone a portable. If you don't want people seeing your stuff keep a vanilla HD to put in when it goes in for repair, don't keep the data on the computer, don't let other people fix your stuff.

If you had illegal things in there I do hope it went to a data server so you can receive a visit from the boys in blue.

DanHalen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
The better question is; Why was there any data on the computer you don't want others seeing. That data shouldn't be on the computer let alone a portable. If you don't want people seeing your stuff keep a vanilla HD to put in when it goes in for repair, don't keep the data on the computer, don't let other people fix your stuff.

If you had illegal things in there I do hope it went to a data server so you can receive a visit from the boys in blue.

I keep getting this question. My computer was dead, there was no way to back it up.

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
Everyone says this but in my case the charge dock was broken and I was unable to charge it. It was dead and there wasn't a way for me to wipe it. I didn't give them my password.

They don't need your password. They can change it and gain access in under 2 minutes.

----------

First you tell him how to hide information and then state you hope he gets caught. Derp.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
They don't need your password. They can change it and gain access in under 2 minutes.

----------

First you tell him how to hide information and then state you hope he gets caught. Derp.

Nope I told him I hope he gets caught if he leaves it in there..derp

DanHalen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Nope I told him I hope he gets caught if he leaves it in there..derp

I wasn't doing anything wrong. Just personal photos, files, writing, etc. It was just an external repair but I'm not sure if they hook up your computer otherwise and gawk at your stuff? What kind of supervision goes on back there?:confused:

DanHalen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
The password is usually on the work order, so I suppose technically it would be in the system. But it's not accessible to anyone except the geniuses and genius admin.

And if it's a hardware repair, it's basically used just to login to your computer and make sure the repair was successful.

So did most people wipe their drives before they took it in for work? Do you guys look at people's file when it's only an external repair?

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
So did most people wipe their drives before they took it in for work? Do you guys look at people's file when it's only an external repair?

No, most people did not. And no, none of the Geniuses gave a rat's *** about what was on people's computers. At least none of the ones I worked with did. They did the repairs, tested the hardware (which included logging in to test) and that's it.

What is it you're worried about them seeing?

rany81

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2012
Actually, it is possible to reset the password and gain access. But as far as I know, the owner can tell for sure because the password isn't there anymore..
Do not know if there is a way to circumvent it without wiping the old password..
On the other hand, I agree they wouldn't sift through personal files. I am in the business and believe me, if I find time to spare, I am going to put it to good use! Surely not to spy on dirty little secrets of people I don't know and hardly care about :)
Finally, it is possible that sometimes one would fiddle with some of the applications, in case there is need to verify a fix..

DanHalen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
No, most people did not. And no, none of the Geniuses gave a rat's *** about what was on people's computers. At least none of the ones I worked with did. They did the repairs, tested the hardware (which included logging in to test) and that's it.

What is it you're worried about them seeing?

Nothing too different than what would be on any other 20 somethings. Some people on here are telling me I deserve it (I don't understand that logic) but my screen was dead and I wasn't told there was another way to take out my hard drive. I otherwise would have if I had known.

----------

Actually, it is possible to reset the password and gain access. But as far as I know, the owner can tell for sure because the password isn't there anymore..
Do not know if there is a way to circumvent it without wiping the old password..
On the other hand, I agree they wouldn't sift through personal files. I am in the business and believe me, if I find time to spare, I am going to put it to good use! Surely not to spy on dirty little secrets of people I don't know and hardly care about :)
Finally, it is possible that sometimes one would fiddle with some of the applications, in case there is need to verify a fix..

Thank you both for making me feel better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.